Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 225

Guscha, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Is replacing the wood on a '20's vintage body difficult?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

calcustom8
See User information
I am considering selling my 22nd Custom 8 to subsidize the purchase of a pre-war Packard. I am looking for one that needs work and many that are offered for sale do. Everything that I have read is to stay away from cars that need the wood replaced in the doors and on the body. I am intrigued with the idea of completing the woodwork on a car but have not found any articles or blogs with descriptions of what is involved. Is it really that difficult or is is just that most car guys don't have the tools and/or experience working with wood?

Here is a link to an ad on ebay with what i have in mind:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Packard-1927-packard-project-car_W0QQitemZ310185212428QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item48387aba0c

I appreciate any advise and feedback!

Thanks

Posted on: 2009/12/2 15:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Is replacing the wood on a '20's vintage body difficult?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information

Posted on: 2009/12/2 16:16

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
calcustom8 wrote: I am considering selling my 22nd Custom 8 to subsidize the purchase of a pre-war Packard. I am looking for one that needs work and many that are offered for sale do. Everything that I have read is to stay away from cars that need the wood replaced in the doors and on the body. I am intrigued with the idea of completing the woodwork on a car but have not found any articles or blogs with descriptions of what is involved. Is it really that difficult or is is just that most car guys don't have the tools and/or experience working with wood?......
calcustom8,

Reading your Owner Registry Entry it seems you do your own mechanical repairs and maintenance on your '48 Custom 8 Touring Sedan. With that sort of mechanical aptitude and attitude you are probably well equipped to tackle such a restoration. I don't have any experience at this, but looking at some of the guys here in OZ who have tackled this type of task I believe they came equipped with skills similar to those you have now. They also have vision, passion, perseverance, a willingness to learn not to mention time, patience and the ability to overcome hurdles and setbacks. The car you showed in the link looks pretty complete and solid(excluding woodwork) although it's often the little things like knobs, switches, handles, etc which are missing which could be a problem to locate. Regarding the woodwork I understand as long as there is enough left for use as a pattern then replacements can be made. I also understand that to have this sort of work done professionally is very expensive because of it's labour intensiveness so DIY is a great cost benefit. Saying all that I say go for it, more people like yourself are needed to save and resurrect these fine pieces of automotive history.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 17:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I agree with Mal, if there's enough wood left for a pattern and you have a decent wood shop it should be no problem making the wood for it. It looks like a complete car to start with, and would be worth it IMHO to fix it up.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Are you going to save it??? I would suggest, if you haven't already, to call the owner and talk to him about the car directly.

Keep us posted!!!

Posted on: 2009/12/3 14:03
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

calcustom8
See User information
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the good advice and pointers, looking a at the post from clipper47, there is more wood in the body than I was aware that existed, but it looks like with some time and practice, replacing it does not seem out of reach.

I think that car on ebay is too nice to "part out" I hope it goes to a good home. I am not ready to buy yet, first I would want to find a home for my 22nd Custom 8 which means I need to finish a few small items I am hopeful to have done by the spring.

BTW, the seller of the 6 on e-bay has a nice 8 listed for just a few dollars more...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1929-packard-partly-restored-w-fresh-motor-and-wood_W0QQitemZ310185210231QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item48387ab177

Posted on: 2009/12/3 15:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dongle
See User information
Anyone recommend a good book or manual about repair of wood bodies? I understand the basics but all knowledge is good.....

dongle

Posted on: 2009/12/6 21:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is one if you can find it in a library. Pretty pricy to buy so must be out of print-- but no reviews. Do a google search for "restoring wood bodies" and it will come up on the first page. A google preview is available for a few pages.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.66 KB)
209_4b1c70892359b.jpg 548X719 px

jpg  (13.94 KB)
209_4b1c70aa426be.jpg 452X253 px

Posted on: 2009/12/6 22:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Copies of Automotive Woodworking: Restoration Repair and Replacement are available on Amazon now, and as Howard says, "pricey".

Posted on: 2009/12/7 1:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Copies of Automotive Woodworking: Restoration Repair and Replacement are available on Amazon now, and as Howard says, "pricey".

And also apparently rare. On abe.com I found only one used copy for $94.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 16:16
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved