Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 240

Marvin, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Computer in the Garage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I know I brought up this topic sometime ago, this is kind of a update.

Last week I was given an older Pavilion computer that a person was going to throw out. The old computer looked nearly brand new. The person said the cd burner didn't work anymore. So I took the computer home and checked it out. After finding out that everything else was in good working order, I went to the upstairs storage area and found an old but new cd burner that had been put away several years ago.

Today since it was snowing a friend and I installed the cd burner and now I have a computer that can be used for the garage. Now I can down load manuals from online burn them to cd and take the cd to garage with me.

Has any other persons here done such a thing as this.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/2/10 21:07
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: Computer in the Garage
Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Most definitely, via laptop and a bit of wireless technology. You can then set the computer on the fender of the car and reference it right there. I cover the keyboard in saran wrap and am careful to set my icy cold PBR far away from it.

Posted on: 2010/2/10 22:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'm not personally aware of anyone who has done such a thing, but it sure sounds environmentally friendly - and handy.

I do know that GM had been pushing dealers to provide each tech with a laptop computer in their bay, networked and with hi-speed internet accesss, because the next generation of "scan tool" will be software-only, with a cable connecting the laptop to the vehicle.

We don't need anything so exotic for our old cars, but with so much material avaiable thanks to P'Info, a computer in the workshop makes sense. Personally, I'd just use a thumb drive to copy the PDFs already on my primary laptop in the house to the one in the garage - faster than CD. However, a CD drive is a good idea if you own other brands of cars as there are plenty of shop manuals and parts books available on CD for Big Three product.

If I ever get caught up with so many other projects, I may see if I can resurrect my previous laptop, running Win95, but with USB support, though the LCD display has some issues. The battery is shot, but I could get by with leaving it plugged into AC and on a workbench. If I can't get the display economically repaired, the laptop has ports for external keyboard and monitor. Already have a keyboard and could probably find a cheap LCD monitor.

Posted on: 2010/2/10 22:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have a buddy that had took a laptop he no longer used and has it in the garage. What he did was clear out a drawer in his large tool chest at about the waist high position and put the laptop in there. The power cord is then routed down the back of the drawer and out a hole in the back of the tool chest. Internet comes on a wireless card. So now when he want to use the computer, all he has to do is open the drawer fully, and open the lid on the laptop. Instant workstation. When he is done, he just closes the laptop lidl, and then closes the drawer. Everything stay neat and clean.

Posted on: 2010/2/10 22:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
need a printer there too.

Posted on: 2010/2/10 22:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I like that idea, Kev, but there's not enough room in my tool chest and not enough budget or room for another or even a bigger one.

Yet, I realize no that with all the banging I do on a work bench, a computer might not fare very well there.

I've accumlated enough woodworking equipment over the past year that I just might build something separate from the workbench, which includes a "laptop drawer".

Posted on: 2010/2/10 22:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've found that when i go to the shop it's usaly to work and i've done all the I'net research i need ahead of time. Otherwise, if there is something i need to look up then i take a break, go into the house and look it up. Also gives me a chance to cool off or warm up.
Either way, most of what i need is usualy needed in print from the I'net. Biggest problem is a printer.

Anyone recommend a printer that won't break the bank on ink cartridges????? Print quality only needs to be readable. Does not have to be good enuf for a trial presentation.

Posted on: 2010/2/10 23:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
When I built my retirement home 5 years ago I wired the house including the garage for a home network (now unnecessary with the spiffy wireless setups). I have all the Pinfo files I need on a file server in the basement and access them from an old laptop on the workbench. Also use the laptop to upload to the server all the digital pictures taken of each step of dis-assembly on the Packards. The digital pics have been an excellent backup for a fading memory when it comes time to put stuff back together. I also use the generic Saranwrap to cover the keyboard.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 0:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
PackardV8,
I retired almost 3 years ago after spending well over 25 years in the IT world. I took a part time position at a local Office Depot just to keep up with technology and to make a few extra $ to support my Packard. From experience, I can tell you that no manufacturer has an edge over the others on print costs. The bottom line is that pretty much all inks end up costing the consumer about the same per Ml, and pretty close to the same cost per page of print. The only way you can get ahead of the game is to use a laser printer, which generally has a lower cost per copy than inkjet, or purchase cartridges that are either combo packs or bear the XL designation (have more ink in the cartridge than regular ones do). There are some places that refill cartridges, but the electronic sensor needs to be reset as well, so be careful where you go. There are also some bulk ink units available for certain older printers that can substantially reduce your cost per page, but unless you use it on a regular basis, you end up with ink drying out.
My advice is to pick up a used, or inexpensive new, laser printer and use it for the shop.
Just my .02 worth,
John

BTW, we carry a small HP laser that regularly goes on sale for under $100 (sometimes as low as $69), and IIRC, the toner runs about $70 and is good for several hundred pages, at least.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks Jself for the advice.

U indicated:
"There are some places that refill cartridges, but the electronic sensor needs to be reset as well, so be careful where you go."

I've refilled my Lexmark #16 black cartridge up to 3hree times before it becomes no longer receptive to refilling. How do i reset the sensor on the cartridge???? I was not aware that any sensor existed to reset.

I do a lot of dumpster diving so i have a good collection of used Lexmark #16 cartridges. But after about the 3-rd time of refilling thay just don't work good. Is that because i didn't know to reset a sensor???

Posted on: 2010/2/11 17:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved