Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 228

BigKev, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 Packard Paint Cream Color
Just popping in
Just popping in

FHD
See User information
My car is a 1937 Packard 120 Roadster. From new it has been painted the 1937 Packard color that seems to be described in the old literature as "Cream". This is a very light off yellow color. As part of the restoration we ordered the paint from TCP global and specified the original cream color. When the firewall was painted it looked more of a bright yellow color than the original cream as I remember it. (Only the firewall has been painted at this point) I called the paint company, they say color follows what they have from the PPG paint manufacturer. Anybody have any ideas on this? Is there a way to check if the new paint is close to the true Packard original color?

Posted on: 2010/6/22 12:09
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 Packard Paint Cream Color
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
FHD wrote: My car is a 1937 Packard 120 Roadster.........
G'day FHD,
to PackardInfo. Sorry I can't help with your paint colour question, hopefully the more experienced Packard people here can give some advice.

But I do invite you to include your '37 120 Roadster in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/6/22 14:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a memory, nothing quantitative, but I recall that Packard Cream (paint code T, Duco 246-31478) is sort of between Ivory and Straw.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 14:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here are three cars that are supposedly painted Packard Ivory or Cream. I believe the more accurate one is the 40 One Twenty Convertible Coupe. The 37 Six Convertible Coupe is mine, and I believe the color is too yellow. In between these two is a 38 Super Eight Sedan. To my eye the color on the 40 is the most attractive, it is subtle but elegant. The 38 is not too bright, not as subdued and the 40, but it is a big car and shows off more. My 37 is bright, and gets away with it because of the smaller body and styling. Hope this helps.

(o{I}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (139.59 KB)
565_4c2117ebbf02c.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (144.22 KB)
565_4c21180f40301.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (115.71 KB)
565_4c21185323e6f.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2010/6/22 15:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
FHD. U're chasing the wind. If u have an original paint sample from some easily removed part of the car that is a shade to your satisfaction then go have it CUSTOM MIXED at a REPUTABLE paint dealer by an EXPERIENCED paint mixer.

At this point i will not attempt to bore anyone with my experience on this topic or other makes that have had an ongoing color/shade controversy for over 30 years that i know of .

Either way, what u describe as correct mite be the same as "Cigarette Cream" as used on 36 and 37 Cords.

Your best bet is to have the paint SPECIAL mixed LOCALY.
I recomend a DuPOnt dealer. Take a sample with u. otherwise u're just chasing the wind. Also note that any Original sample mite also have changed a shade or two over more than 10 to 15 years.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 15:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Attached is a copy of the 1937 color chip chart. Packard Cream is light yellow. Sort of like a post it note. I have seen several 1937 120 convertibles in this color going back to the late 1970's.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 1,678.57 KB; Hits: 144

Posted on: 2010/6/22 15:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unfortunately, viewing aged paint chips is about as chancy and unreliable as viewing colors on a PC monitor, and the combination of the two leaves a lot of room for doubt. Best bet is to take a scan from a part from an original car, or benefit from someone who has researched it very thoroughly and done all the work for you.

That said, for what ever it's worth the 38 Super Eight sedan looks about right to me for my recollection of Packard Cream. But you should be able to get a cross reference from the Duco number noted above.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 17:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
I agree Dave. If you take the Duco number and formulation to a DuPont paint dealer they should be able to come up with a very close modern match. You can also email the DuPont Color Library with the year, name and Duco code for the color and they will email you a close modern match withing 24 hours. I think their email is :

Auto-Ref.Color@usa.dupont.com

Posted on: 2010/6/22 22:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
My understanding is that certain pigments themselves have changed and some colors were formulated with pigment materials that are no longer used or even available, making the task of re-creating colors from original codes alone almost impossible. I was told this by a guy who works as a chemist for a paint manufacturer.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 13:19
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes Randerson, that's been my experience too. Some 8 years ago i went to a DD dealer to get some Norweigen Forest Green for my 56 Exec. Took a fender skirt with me. Was referred to a another dealer with a more experienced paint man. He hand mixed the paint for me and it came very good. Not perfect but very good.
He told me the old paint codes or anything much over 25 years old are nearly worthless to incomplete at best. He also told me that the Norweigen Forest he mixed for me would be the very last EVER mixed. There was somekind of Red that was needed and he got the very last old stock from a distant warehouse.

An ongoing argument has been what really is Indian Red for Indian motorcycles. Ongoing for over 30 years that i know of. Of course all the claims and even NOS painted parts have surfaced but is still a controversy.

THe only thing we can do is make a goos solid conscience attempt to restore as closely as possible.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 14:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved