Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 220

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

engine paint
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

56clipper
See User information
ok i need to know what color the green on the block of my 56 352 clipper deluxe is.to me it looks like a metalic green.according to bill hirsch the 55 and 56 clippers are turquoise,some how i dont think so.please help as i would like to keep it the original color if possible.thanks...wes

Posted on: 2010/7/11 22:49
 Top  Print   

Re: engine paint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Not sure who told you turquoise is correct for 1956 Clipper, but they are sorely misinformed. The parts books isn't clear on this, but Bill Hirsch's website shows turquoise as applicable to ONLY the 1955 Clipper, and ONLY the 352 cid mill, as used in the Custom models. It further shows that the 320 cid mills, as used in the 1955 Clipper Deluxe and Super models, were painted red.

I dunno why, but to the best of my knowledge, Hirsch never offered the green that was used on ALL 1956 Clippers (deluxe, Super, and Custom) and Executives.

However, some old notes I have indicate that Dupont Dulux 5227DH is a close match for the 56th Series engine Metallic Green. Now, Dulux is NOT an engine enamel, but I've heard that it holds up well enough - except at the exhuast crossover passage, where the heads meet the intake. Yet, I've seen high-temperature engine enamels fail at that location, as well.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 8:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If I remember correctly, this is the only engine enamel that Bill Hirsch doesn't carry. Last time this topic came up in a similar query on this site, I agreed to speak to Bill about it and he said if someone would provide a good sample he'd have it made and inventoried just to round out his range of product. But no one came forth with a sample to carry this thru. I don't know if this is still an open possibility with Bill but I'd be glad to explore it with him again, but this time I think we'd like to know we have a good authentic specimen to match first.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 9:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
true dat Owen, i know i would give an example if i had one. i wondered that same thing when i ordered my paint from Bill, why no 56.

surely someone on here has a decent example that could be used?

Posted on: 2010/7/12 9:52
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I have used PPG Concept 2000 paint on engines with great results. Make certain that the exhaust pre-heat valve works properly to avoid burning the paint on the cross-over in the intake manifold. It will still see more heat than any other part on the engine, but if that valve is sticky or inop it will burn for certain.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I've used regular acrylic enamel paints on engines with very good results. Remember that most parts of a water cooled engine won't get as hot as the roof of a black car in the dessert.

As far as 56 Clippers go, I use green metallic from those Geo Metros and Trackers of about 10 years ago. That's pretty darn bright, but the little bits of undisturbed color I have seen on old engines were also alarmingly bright. Here's a 56 Super engine I did a couple of years ago.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.57 KB)
618_4c3bd884937a1.jpg 1136X852 px

Posted on: 2010/7/12 22:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved