Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 97

William Grosz, Don B, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'48 Glove Boxes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Sometime back on a Forum I can't remember I asked for info. on the glove box in my 1948 Packard Six 22nd Series Export Touring Sedan and didn't get very far. Subsequently I did purchase an absolutely rotten one from a body which was being scrapped. Having got it I straightened it out so it was flat and made a rough overlay plan to which I added the fold lines and holes for fixing etc. Next stage was a mock up in thin card and a trial at my Restorers' workshop which to my amazement actually fitted. My restorer suggested that as it was such a good fit we should use it but make it stronger by adding another layer of card then trying it again, which we did. All okay so I then got some nice plush material and lined it and fitted a rear piece on a separate card which was push fitted into place. Photos attached show its progress. Anyone wanting a copy of my plan of the box to try one for themselves get in touch. By the way my car resided in Africa for the first 20 years and that is how the glove box was lost - eaten away by bugs !

Best regards Michael

Whoops P.S my car is R.H.D so it has to be reversed for L.H.D - anyone wanting a copy I can print it in reverse but the lettering won't make much sense !

14th September 2010 ADDED : For those interested in the history of RHD Packards in particular this glove box also came with a stapled on manufacturer's "NOTE" - see attached photo.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.69 KB)
1329_4c86168f18bb9.jpg 1127X845 px

jpg  (83.71 KB)
1329_4c8616b57293d.jpg 1127X845 px

jpg  (136.94 KB)
1329_4c8616ec11f90.jpg 1127X845 px

jpg  (146.63 KB)
1329_4c861716c54ec.jpg 1127X845 px

jpg  (117.59 KB)
1329_4c8f4ee92d086.jpg 1600X649 px

Posted on: 2010/9/7 5:34
 Top  Print   

Re: '48 Glove Boxes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
The photo is a little hazy it states "2262 X 24624 RHD XS OD RV FSE LH 67 . ." The car is having the body removed as the current owner is going to use only the chassis/engine/running gear to make an alloy bodied Sports car.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 6:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I think that's the "build slip" which was located above/behind the glove box, and in other places depending on year. Although not from your Packard, nevertheless it's an interesting piece of Packard documentation to have. You should be able to decode it. Or can somebody step in here and advise Michael on where/how to decipher this?

Posted on: 2010/9/14 6:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here's a partial decoding of the build slip. Maybe someone else has the rest of the codes.

2262...... Body Style: Deluxe Eight Sedan
X......... Paint Colour: Black
24624..... Serial number starting @ 2001: 22,624th built
RHD....... Right Hand Drive
XS........ ??
OD........ Overdrive
RV........ ??
FSE....... ??
LH........ ??
67........ Trim Code: Tan Checkered Broadcloth

RV may be for Rear View Mirror or Radio with Vacuum powered antenna (on my 23rd series build slip that radio/antenna combination is 'RADVA').

Posted on: 2010/9/14 8:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a guess, "FSE" could have been "fender skirt (shroud) equipment" if they weren't standard equipment. And since an RHD car couldn't have the typical heater/defroster, perhaps one of the other codes is for some sort of heater (if the car had one)?

Posted on: 2010/9/14 8:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Just a guess, "FSE" could have been "fender skirt (shroud) equipment" if they weren't standard equipment...

I think you nailed it. Per the 1948 Packard Fact Book, "Quality" section, page 6:

"REAR FENDER SHIELDS
The rear fender shields are standard equipment on all Custom 8 models and optional on all others."

This would explain why I don't have the FSE code on my Custom 8 build slip.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the houndstooth upholstery was normally in the Eight, and striped in the Eight DeLuxe.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 10:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
the houndstooth upholstery was normally in the Eight, and striped in the Eight DeLuxe.

Could very well be the case... I've only seen four 22nd/23rd series Packards close-up and in person (not counting my childhood); mine, one at a cruise-in, a '50 Super Deluxe basket case, and one that was so modified it barely qualified as a Packard. I'm just going with what's in the Parts Manual.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.30 KB)
188_4c8f9d2e14c7f.jpg 575X152 px

Posted on: 2010/9/14 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Didn't mean to imply that 67 doesn't mean houndstooth. This export car apparently had houndstooth in an Eight Deluxe. Out of curiousity, what is the door trim on the inside? The door panel and the window garnish differ.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I believe that RV stands for Radio with Vacuum antenna.

RR for Radio with Roof antenna.

Both of the above match actual equipment with production slips.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 13:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved