Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 197

jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Panther Daytona I had the good fortune to view
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
In early July I took a trip to look at a 1937 120 Business coupe my wife had bought and the owner took me to a friends house and this is one of the many cars I saw.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.12 KB)
1153_4c9d5f0d8b5e7.jpg 443X335 px

jpg  (55.97 KB)
1153_4c9d5f1ebbb24.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.13 KB)
1153_4c9d5f2e60e74.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.74 KB)
1153_4c9d5f4c42e0d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/9/24 21:33
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Re: Panther Daytona I had the good fortune to view
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
These are nice shots, especially the underhood view, which raises a question. I get the supercharger, but the intake looks mysterious. It appears to route air from the back corner of the engine compartment to the supercharger, and thence to the shiny tin box of whatever is in there.

P.S. Any idea where the steering wheel originated, or is it a one-off?

Posted on: 2010/9/25 18:33
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Under the "Shiny" box I am sure is the carburetor. The steering wheel looks just like any other '54 Senior steering wheel, only orange, and it has a different horn button.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 19:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like there might be an air cleaner in the back corner. Wonder if there might be some sort of forced air using the air vent tube on that side which is why they ran it all the way over there.

For anyone curious, here is the Studebaker Avanti version of the supercharger box Kev mentioned above. The top picture was used on a specially sealed carb and it only pressurized the throat. The bottom pict which resembles that on the Panther was a box which totally enclosed the carb so it did not have to have the extra sealing. Am sure one of the experts here can elaborate as to advantages and disadvantages of either.

Attach file:

jpg  (119.84 KB)
209_4c9e9b834c73b.jpg 1000X1089 px

Posted on: 2010/9/25 19:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The "shiny tin box" is a pressure box for the carburetor - used to equalize the relative pressures inside and outside the carb. Otherwise, fuel would come gushing out the vents (and any other opening it could find) instead of through the jets.

Not sure what this one was made of, but you'll find a pressure box made of cast aluminum used on the handful of supercharged 304-V8 (R3) Avantis built by Studebaker. The supercharged 289-V8 (R2) Avantis got away without such a box by using a sealed carburetor (with a polished, cast aluminum bonnet and remote air cleaner), but I'd heard that Paxton simply found that the pressure box was less complicated/costly.

After Studebaker, Paxton supplied a supercharger setup, with pressure box, as optional equipment for Shelby's GT350 Mustang.

Getting back to the Panther, engine compartment space was clearly at a premium with the supercharger and pressure box. Perhaps the back corner was the only place left to put the air cleaner.

The 1957 Clippers featured a supercharger as standard euqipment and also used a pressure box - as seen in the attached illustration from the 1957 Packard-Clipper Chassis Parts Catalog. Though we don't (yet) have a '58 chassis parts book, here, I suspect the Packard Hawk also used a pressure box.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.54 KB)
103_4c9ea1507ee2c.jpg 550X550 px

Posted on: 2010/9/25 20:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Getting back to the Panther, engine compartment space was clearly at a premium with the supercharger and pressure box. Perhaps the back corner was the only place left to put the air cleaner.

Very true, but if they had to put it there, wonder what was in the opposite corner. It looks like the heater might be in the regular spot but hard to say with the supercharger box in front so maybe it was moved--or did they even bother with a heater in a show car.

EDIT: 58-L Studebaker, or 58-K Packard, Hawks with supercharger appears to use the same setup from 57 that Brian posted.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 20:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Looks like there might be a heater box lurking in the right rear corner of the engine bay - obscured by the bend of that looooong air intake hose for the supercharger.

It's a shame that the Panther Daytona didn't see limited production for retail purchase that year.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 20:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Pictures of Daytona=AWESOME!!!

Posted on: 2010/9/25 22:36
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved