Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 142

Todd W. White, BigKev, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Alternator: which and how?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I know we have discussed this in the past and I apologize for rehashing it.

I want to put an alternator in my 56 Patrician. Is there a direct, bolt in replacement?

Can anyone suggest specific models as well as what to do?

I'm getting air, which draws 21-24 amps plus blower. Seems senseless not to alternate.

One point: I'm not asking this to precipitate a discussion on whether I should do this. My mind is made up. How do I make it all work?

Thanks

Posted on: 2011/5/25 10:45
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Alternator: which and how?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you check out my blog you can see the alternator I am using. It is a GM 10SI alternator, plentiful and cheap and easy to wire up. But you will need to fab up a lower bracket. I am sure there are other V8 owners out there that can show you pictures of how they did theirs.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 12:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Can't answer your question directly Pat but here's A few thoughts which might help. Follows from a few months ago when we installed a 6V alternator on a '34 Packard. The owner gave us the alternator because it was brand new and cheap, all we had to do was fit it! Ended up mounting it on the side of the engine over the waterjacket cover plate, but that's by the way.

Things I think you should do are:

- Find an alternator to suit

- Ascertain where you will mount it. Probably where the generator was.

- Determine whether the pulley on the alternator is the same V section as that on your generator. If it is, good. If not, will requirement replacement - try your local wrecking yard, or alternator shop, they'll have a lot of old alternators to choose pulleys from.

- Trial fit your alternator making sure the pulley aligns with the crank pulley, and A/C & P/S pulleys if applicable.
Probably find the alternator sits quite a bit more forward for it's length than the generator, so some sort of adapter plate or fitting is required. With the '34 we took the alternator given to us to the local wrecking yard, the guy looked at it and said that looks like the same mount as a HoldenV8(local GM Brand) bought one for $10 and it fitted.

- Might have to drill a few holes for fitment/alignment purposes but I'd imagine it'll be a whole lot simpler than for the '34

- Speaking of fitment and alignment, it's critical that the pulley is properly aligned with the other pulleys on the engine so the belt fits and runs smoothly. Take your time in measuring and doing this to ensure it's right.

- Fanbelt will probably be the same if the alternator is in the same place the generator was. If not, down to the local parts store where fan belts by section and length will be detailed in the appropriate book.

- Tensioning bracket may be re-usable between the generator and alternator, either directly or by use of a spacer. If not, back to the wrecking yard and there'll be something there that will fit or can be modified to suit.

Wish you luck with it. Of course all my words might be for naught if someone else comes along saying yada, yada, yada is a direct bolt-in replacement!

In case you're interested, and have few hours to spare, you can peruse the Wade's Workshop blog from Page 68, Post 678 about the alternator being fitted to the '34. Guaranteed to put you to sleep, if nothing else.
EDIT - Just had another thought! Believe alternators are now being built in old generator bodies or something to that effect. Maybe there is a bolt-in replacement!

Posted on: 2011/5/25 20:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is an alternator site with several capacity choices and also brackets.http://www.alternatorparts.com/10si-all-in-one.html#twelvevolt The 10SI units are so common a good used one from a salvage yard could probably be easily found. Lots of universal brackets are available from various places.

Here is one of several sites having alternators which look and mount like generators as Mal mentioned although I don't believe they have a specific Packard application. Probably some of the GM selections would work though. These were discussed some time ago and believe the feeling was they were more expensive and not as easily available if it had to be replaced on the road.http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/powergen.html

Posted on: 2011/5/25 22:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Here is a guy that converts OEM generators to alternators:

http://www.gener-nator.com/index.htm

Posted on: 2011/5/26 10:53
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
when i converted i used a conversion kit from Jack Nordstrom it was a bracket for the compressor which goes where the current generator goes and a bracket for a gm alternator which mounts above the water pump it worked just as advertized and mr. Nordstom was very helpful if you have questions

Attach file:

jpg  (5.98 KB)
2263_4ddf1d3eec355.jpg 273X87 px

Posted on: 2011/5/26 22:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote:
"I'm getting air, which draws 21-24 amps plus blower. Seems senseless not to alternate."

The Gm alternator is definaetly the way to go ASSUMING the above quote. Be advised that there are about 3hree different OUTPUT ratings of such popular GM alternators. I can't recall exactly but it seems like there is a 35 amp, a 55 amp and police special at something like 75 amps. Do your research on this. No point in installing a low output alternator ASSUMING your quote as stated above.

AND quote:
" One point: I'm not asking this to precipitate a discussion on whether I should do this. My mind is made up. How do I make it all work?"

Yeah. ok. We'll see if it works any better than the generator. Must be some other reason that has confirmed your conviction to alternate. That 21-24 amp draw must be one hell of a big AC system.

Which AC did u decide on???? I've never really liked my Mark IV unit only because of the blower motor location inside of the car and the noise.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 23:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also note that somewhere after about 1985 the INTERNAL regulator of the FACTORY GM alternators was changed in someway. THe change made them more vulnerable to short service life IF REPEATEDLY HIT with a low charge battery.

That is, since we are dealing with an electrical system that quite often mite set idle for weeks at a time then the battery could become significantly discharged often enuf so as to require the alternator to hit it real hard to recharge it. But then again, about $75 to rebuild the GM alternator mite not be considered all that bad.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 23:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Something else to ponder/research:

There may be OEM, Rebuilt or AFTERMARKET NEW GM alternators available. I just havn't kept up with the GM alternators that close over the last few years. But consider this situation i got into over a Suzuki Samurai alternator about 6 months ago:

Ther eare OEM, OEM REBUILT and AFTERMaRKET NEW suzuki alternators. There has beeen some unsolved controversy over whether or not the AFTERMARKET NEW suzuki alternators are of the same quality as OEM or OEM rebuilds.

Your mind is made up. Great. GO FOR IT!!!

Posted on: 2011/5/26 23:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
What does "self-exciting" mean? Is that the same as a "one wire" unit?

RE Comments: Factory says unit consumes 21-24 amps when running plus blower. I know people run these units and are as happy as a clam with just a generator. I also have halogen headlights (a few extra amps).

Considering the cost of A/C, adding an alternator seems sensible. I don't want to run in traffic at night and suddenly find the battery is too low to restart the car.

As to the imitation Mark III, I don't want to go to the trouble of ripping the radio out redoing heater connections etc. More deluxe to be sure; also significantly more expensive. Seems like any noise issue would still be quieter than cruising on the tollway two feet away from four semis with all the windows open....

My idea of highway driving is buttoned up to minimize noise.....

Posted on: 2011/5/27 0:57
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved