Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 212

Charles, humanpotatohybrid, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New Stabilizer Bushings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
I forgot to post a pic or two of my new "lubrication capable" poly stabilizer bushings by Energy. I purchased these at Discount Auto and modified them to fit the stock mounting brackets. All I had to do was cut the mounting tabs off of the new metal brackets which left me with two "U" shaped steel bushings that fit perfectly into the OEM brackets. there are existing holes in the old brackets that can be drilled slightly larger so the grease fittings can be installed through them and threaded back into the modified "U" bracket. These cost me $21.00 as opposed to purchasing OEM type rubber that can't be lubricated for $40.00 + shipping.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.96 KB)
4000_4ecb0f9e3ea96.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (90.35 KB)
4000_4ecb0fda5633d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/11/21 21:59
 Top  Print   

Re: New Stabilizer Bushings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like a very nice fit and minimal work. Might be a nice alternative for others needing bushings. I see they have several sizes so any part numbers you could post? Since you chose the lubricated ones, curious if there is that much advantage for the lubricated vs regular.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 22:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Yes, please post the part numbers. Looks very good.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 23:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Correction, I purchased them at Autozone. Advance only had them in red and I couldn't see installing something non- original in appearance if the original look was available. Yes, the greasable poly bushings are not only a harder material than the rubber but they also eliminate that annoying squeak or groan that the rubber ones develop when they get old and dry. Folks report a noticable improvement in the handling but I can't say either way. I only drove the car one time before I started some much needed repairs but did notice excessive roll even when turning slow but there wasn't much left of the old bushings and one bracket was bent so bad that I wasn't sure if I could save it or not. That being said, they couldn't help but improve my cars body roll if nothing else.

Energy Suspension/3/4 in. (19 mm.) bar dia. black greaseable sway bar bushing setPrice: $19.99

Part Number: 9.5156G
Alternate Part Number: 9.5156GX

There's also a 9.5156R which is the red and you can get them in greasable or non-greasable too.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 4:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information

Posted on: 2011/11/22 7:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Looks like a very nice fit and minimal work. Might be a nice alternative for others needing bushings. I see they have several sizes so any part numbers you could post? Since you chose the lubricated ones, curious if there is that much advantage for the lubricated vs regular.

I forgot to mention that the bushing are also "split" which definitely makes the installation easier as you do not have to remove the sway bar or stabilizer bar to install them. All you do is pry them open and slip 'um over the bar and slide them into the bracket.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 8:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Have you by chance found a good replacement for the rubber bushings at the ends of the sway bar? If so what manufacturer and part number.

Posted on: 2011/11/26 17:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
On round bushings that work hard and have a heavy loading I've had some success by purchasing round polyurethane stock rods, freezing them, and lathe-turning them. Kind of messy and crude but with patience you get a good product.

With the huge number of polyurethane suspension bushings that places like PST have, I've often thought that there must be a good chance of finding ones that fit or can be easily modified to fit our applications. That said, I've never pursued the idea. I've certainly not had an acceptable service life from some of the rubber suspension bushings from the likes of Steele Rubber. Spending the effort to find NOS where you can seems worth the effort.

PS - I believe PST is owned by Kanter Bros. so perhaps they're already explored any crossover applications.

Posted on: 2011/11/26 20:06
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Steele Rubber carries them. Not cheap, but they have them ready to go.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.56 KB)
1_4ed1ac9556552.jpg 597X359 px

Posted on: 2011/11/26 22:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50packardkid
See User information
Gator,

You said that your bushings were split. Where at on the bushings are they split?

I have the bushings from Steele rubber which are not split, don't know if your suppose to boil them to get them over the end of the sway bar or not.

Thanks for the information,
Jason

Posted on: 2011/11/27 9:18
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved