Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 228

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Identifying 1953 Packard Hardtop Model
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

LynnFauth
See User information
I'm looking to purchase a 1953 Packard ht--it looks to be a Mayfair, but rear quarters, tail lights
and trunk trim appear to be from a Patrician.

It does'nt have vertical tail lights, like most Mayfairs I've seen (the Clipper style); it
has double bubble lights from the higher grade models.
And, in the pictures I've seen, it appears to have the longer
Patrician trunk as well.
Number plate info:
Veh # 2677 6685,
Paint scheme G 90 or 96

I'd appreciate some help identifying if it is a Mayfair, or another model hard top, which I haven't found in the literature.

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/7/3 11:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Identifying 1953 Packard Hardtop Model
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did you happen to notice if the tail lights were in "pods" with either original chrome side pieces or maybe those painted to match body filling in the different contour? I'm wondering if someone might have put 54 Pacific/Convertible style tail lights on. That would have been a simple bolt on change.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.68 KB)
209_4ff325cb0b50e.jpg 210X176 px

Posted on: 2012/7/3 12:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

LynnFauth
See User information
Yes, that's what it looks like with the fin and the dual pods. The other question, though, is the model number; I haven't found any to coincide with the ones on the number plate. I've only seen the pictures sent to me by the seller, in another state, and plan to have my son-in-law go look at it and check out the rust issues--quarter panels, rear floor, sills, etc. any other areas to be checked out?

Posted on: 2012/7/3 12:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nothing unusual or obscure about the VN, 2677-XXXX is a 1953 Mayfair, the 2685th one built. There was no other 2-dr hardtop model built in 1953.

I don't see a paint code G, or a trim #90. Trim #96 is light and dark blue striped wool broadcloth.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 12:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some serial and model number and trim data is available in the Intro section of 48-54 parts book available on site.

2677 is a 53 Mayfair. Packard only had the one pillarless hardtop in 53. In 54 the same body style was called the Pacific and still only one model.

6685 would be the sequence in production.

G is the paint code but doesn't show as being used in 53 -- although it might have been carried from 52 where it was a gray color. In 54, G was red.

The 90 doesn't show as a trim but 96 was maroon leather which would have been available on the Mayfair. Cloth covered seats would have been a blue striped broadcloth.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 13:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

LynnFauth
See User information
Thanks for the information. I haven't seen the car, but may book a flight to see it. It appears to have been an Ultramatic, but had the transmission replaced as there is a floor shifter in one of the pictures; it also comes with an extra 327; the one in the engine compartment in the pictures doesn't appear to be running--no battery or spark-plug wires.

Currently, the car appears to be black on the bottom (or a dark blue) with a white top, and the dash is red, with a pretty good looking headliner that is tan. Maybe it did have leather? The paint code could be a C--that would be the light blue.

Any suggestions as to a reasonable price? I know that depends upon how much rust, etc. The body looks pretty good--no apparent dents/rust spots--but examination of the floors and quarters and rocker panels may reveal more rot than I would care to deal with.

I'm new to the restore-wannabe game, but learned to drive in my dad's 53 clipper, which was my first car; he also had a number of patricians and 300 series sedans before switching to Caddys. He died last year, always talking about how good his Packards were and this would be a bit of a memorial to him, and something to do, now that I've retired.

Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 15:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Lynn,
to PackardInfo. Sounds like a good project and a great memorial to your Dad. And, if you end up purchasing the '53 Mayfair I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 15:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
I saw this cra for sale on Craigslist, looks like a 1950's customizer added much chrome and did many modifications to it

Posted on: 2012/7/6 3:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved