Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Old gas tank 54 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Question? Can the pickup tube in the tank move at all? When I install the flare fitting is went on very tight and I was concerned at that time about the pick up tube.

Anything is possible but unless the fitting twisted on the side of the tank as you tightened, I doubt it would have moved. Here are a couple of Keegan's photos showing how it routes on a 55 tank.

What condition is the flex hose between the new steel line and the fuel pump? Old hard ones can cause problems if disturbed. You mentioned another tank cleaning. Was there a lot of garbage in the tank the first time. If so, have you checked the screens or individual mesh plates that act as a screen in the bottom of fuel pump?

Attach file:

jpg  (60.17 KB)
209_5059d7586291c.jpg 816X773 px

jpg  (74.32 KB)
209_5059d7615f3d6.jpg 934X718 px

Posted on: 2012/9/19 9:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I will check the fuel pump, there must have been some residue in the tank is all I can think.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 10:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Remove the filter, and slip a piece of rubber hose onto the line coming from the fuel, and the other end into a bucket. Crank the motor and see if the pump is actually pumping fuel.

If not then the problem is either with a clogged fuel line, a clogged mesh screen in the pump, or a bad pump.

If it does pump fuel, then there is something bad with that new filter that is obstructing the flow. Those ceramic elements are deceptive, they may look clean, but the pours can be clogged internally, preventing fuel flow. You have to blow them out from the inside out to clean them.

The other possibility is a stuck float in the carb.

But I would think if you poured a little bit of fuel down the carb and it doesn't try to start, that the problem lies in the ignition somewhere.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 10:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:
If your tank is redone and sealed properly you shouldn't need a post-tank filter. The correct location would be between the pump and carb. That's all you need, and it would be correct. I don't think any Packards came from the factory with a filter between the tank and pump.

None came with a filter right out of the tank but several have had sediment and other issues which managed to clog up their electric pumps. If the tank is absolutely clean, probably no need but if there is a chance crap is flaking off it certainly wouldn't hurt to add a decent capacity durable or at least protected filter ahead of the electric pump.

Howard, I installed a Carter electric fuel pump when I was having engine running problems with my 55 Clipper. The pump came with an in-line filter installed before the pump. In addition, there was a note in the installation instructions that said the warranty would be voided if a filter was not installed between the tank and electric pump.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/19 10:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Looks like an afternoon in the garage, I was excited that the car was complete enough to drive , but a little more work needs to be done. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 10:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One other possibility as you rule out ignition. Did you do a lot of cranking and is the battery still at a good charge? 6v coils do not like weak batteries.

Quote:
When I install the flare fitting it went on very tight

If ign is good, Is the filter still full or is the flare fitting actually sealing. You mentioned fuel sloshing into the filter when first started but did it continue or was the fuel in the line drawn in until emptied and then nothing but air?

Posted on: 2012/9/19 10:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

54packman
See User information
Try removing the flare fitting at the tank and see if you have fuel there, if not try blowing into the fitting on the tank and see if you can blow into it, Remove the gas cap first thought.. could also try blowing through to the fuel pump, again disconnect the line at the fuel pump. Could be the screen in the pickup tube is plugged,or the line to the pump. I have installed a see through plastic filter at the tank.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
The fuel in the filter kept sloshing when I increased the pedal and got to a higher RPM, but when I let it idle it ran out of gas.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 12:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Just thought of this, is the fitting at the tank a NPT thread or is it a flare fitting? Both are similar.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 11:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Standard 5/16 inverted flare nut is used on the tubing.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.27 KB)
209_505b4d1dd0984.jpg 270X161 px

Posted on: 2012/9/20 12:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved