Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 70

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Prewar Packard - Service Options in Dallas, Texas Area
Just popping in
Just popping in

Don R
See User information
Hi to all, this is my first post. I am seriously considering the purchase of a 1934 Packard Eight. I like to do my own car work but have reached the age where I must farm out the big stuff and my main concern is finding service facilities in my area (Dallas, North Texas) that understand such a vehicle and can be trusted to provide dependable service. Can anyone recommend any shops in this area based on personal experience? I would really like to own this car, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 14:08
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas
1934 1100 Eight Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Prewar Packard - Service Options in Dallas, Texas Area
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Don R,
to PackardInfo. Trust that someone will respond to your request regarding dependable service facilities in the Dalla area.

And, if you do purchase the '34 Eight, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/2/27 14:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jessie
See User information
I dont know anybody personally but check with lone star packard clubhttp://lonestarpackards.com/. someone there might be able to help you out.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 17:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I would recommend that you take your car to Terry Weiss in Tyler TX. He is a long time member of Packards North Texas, the local club for the DFW region. I belonged to the club when I lived in Princeton and north Dallas. Terry is a wizard on the Packards (or Model A's if you like as well). I struggled with getting my 39 120 moving and stopping before moving to MT, and finally trailered it to Terry's shop. He had it running like new, as well as stopping in just a few days.

Terry's Repair
1910 Roy Road
Tyler, TX 75707-6267

Phone: (903) 561-0963

You can contact the PNT club; several of the usual members of this site belong to it. There is a wealth of info in the members, plus there are lots of neat cars as well. Plan on attending the Salado swap meet the first of April. Look at the events section of this site for details.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 17:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I am in Dallas. Depending on service requirements there are a few guys to consider, Terry Weiss being in the top few. Few mechanics are willing to take the time on this old stuff, so understanding what service the car might need really is key to a referral. How can I help?

Posted on: 2013/2/27 18:16
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Don R
See User information
Thanks for the quick responses. David, I will contact Terry Weiss but I was hoping for someone closer to home. Flackmaster, I may be looking at piston / ring replacement and radiator removal, cleanout, or even replacement, if that helps.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 20:17
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas
1934 1100 Eight Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
We should talk, openly, about engine work on a 34. This is NOT your average re-ring job - and in most cases beyond the experience and ability of all but a very few guys.

Forum members, please chime in on the risk$ of opening up a 34 engine....kindly...we want to share in Don's enthusiasm, but also honestly forewarn him of the slippery slope of such a simple sounding service.

Don - I am sending you a PM (private message) with my phone number -see the red number in the upper left, inbox, when you sign in....click on that...

DAF

Posted on: 2013/2/28 0:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don, I don't know just what engine work you might be contemplating but I've got some longstanding experience with a 1934 Eight and concur with Flackmaster's caution. If you wish to discuss this by phone, send me a PM with your phone# and suitable dates & times (EST) and I'd be glad to give you a call.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 8:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
OD & Flackmaster,

You almost make it sound like owning a 34 is not a good thing. Is there something wrong with the 1934 Packard engine?

I remember seeing Haden Vandiver doing work on his engine in the 1980's, so I never have thought anything negative about the car.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Mike - is Jerry Cook still working on Packards? I've lost track of him. He is a very good mechanic, but I don't know his situation.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 9:57
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved