Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 182

John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Identity of packard project ?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Grigsby
See User information
Hi,I wonder if anyone out there can help me identify which model packard my wife and I have just purchaced .With no engine or body from behind the front doors to the rear end or an identity plate on the firewall there is not too much to go on. There is a small plate on the bulkhead to the side of the firewall. It says when ordering spares please quote chassis number 315901, also the anti theft number stamped into the firewall 424886. The wheelbase is 148" I Think it may be a 1938-39 eight limousine or a super eight limo. I failed to attach images tonight will try again tomorrow. Can anyone out there help.
Thanks
Garry

Posted on: 2013/4/15 15:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Identity of packard project ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Garry(Grigsby),
to PackardInfo and congratulations on your Packard purchase. I've had a look in the 35-41 Parts List, available here for free download, but can't find #315901 in Group 8(Frame). But that number appears to be in sequence for '37 part numbers from what I can see. Maybe our Guru of Thief Proof Numbers, Owen_Dyneto, can shed some light from that angle.

If you don't have any luck attaching pic's, most likely causes for failure being too big a pic size or wrong type of file, I can help if you email me the pic's you wish to attach to ozstatman@gmail.com and I'll give it a go.

And lastly, once you've identified your Packard, I invite you to include your Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/4/15 16:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thief-proof #424886 corresponds to early 1938 but doesn't tell any more, for example whether it's a junior or a senior, or wheelbase, etc. But if a Twelve, many 1939 Twelves were built with bodies originally built for 1938 production. But no 1938 Super Eight bodies carried over to 1939 Super 8 though they could have carried over to a 1939 Twelve; 1938 Super Eight bodies would have been wood-frame construction and 1939 Super Eight would have been all-steel, Twelves would have been wood-framed both years.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 16:33
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Grigsby
See User information
Hi Guys, thanks for the pointers. I did not mention the windscreen is split type not a one piece, headlamps are chromed, of the hundreds I have seen in pictures no others have been, they are certainly packard and am sure right for the car. There are also holes running through centre of the roof from the division in the windscreen.As if some sought of crest type moulding had been there. The partition between driver and rear passenger compartment is wooden, with a wind up glass screen. Does the fact the car is right hand drive narrow down the search.

Thanks

Garry

Posted on: 2013/4/15 17:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nothing surprising about the two-piece windshield and the short piece of chrome trim that ran up the roof a short distance from the center of the windshield, I believe all factory-bodied closed car models had that. And chrome headlights give no clue. I don't think that RHD narrows it down any either, perhaps even expands the search as it could have been sold as a chassis to be bodied overseas?

One thing that could tell a 38 from a 39; you say the patent plate (VN plate) is missing - if it was a 39 there would be 4 small screw holes where it was attached. 1938 used a decal so there would be no holes. No photos?

There is a small plate on the bulkhead to the side of the firewall. It says when ordering spares please quote chassis number 315901 - this is the real clue but I can't decipher it, but it may be suggestive of a chassis-only sale destined for custom coachwork. I'm familiar with one other 38 sold as a chassis for coachwork to be mounted overseas - it had the VN stamped into the top face of the frame rail just adjacent to the generator - you might take a look there. If you find a number that begins with a chassis rather than a body type number (1601, 1602, 1603, etc.) that would be conclusive.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 17:18
 Top  Print   

Identity of Packard project ?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Grigsby
See User information
Hi Everyone

I hope you get to see these images. As you can see there is not too much left. Do these give anyone anymore ideas as to which Packard this old girl is?

Thanks Garry

Attach file:

jpg  (116.37 KB)
6490_516d742995f83.jpg 1024X715 px

jpg  (97.03 KB)
6490_516d74e6c8bef.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2013/4/16 10:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Identity of Packard project ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
exactly what do you plan to accomplish with it. not much is left and would take an ambitious person to restore that.

hope you find more info on it though. good luck ;0)

Posted on: 2013/4/16 11:15
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Based on the photos I would say the car was a 38 120. The door panel is confusing to me, it looks like leather which would be odd for a closed car.

ID points are: dash, window and door handles, cowl, door design

Tom

Posted on: 2013/4/16 11:46
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Grigsby
See User information
Hi all,
Hope you all like my girl!!! she needs a lot of TLC but that is what I intend to do to bring her back to her former glory.

Thanks for all your comments they have been really useful,I think I have narrowed it down to:
38 touring limo
38 touring sedan

Because we don't have the four screw holes for a plate under the thief proof number; wb 148 inches,the shape of the window frames ( not much more to go from)

Could the leather interior be because this was a deluxe option??

I have also managed to get hold of brand new factory panels and wings ,radiator(never used)plus a spare bonnet,brand new but too short for my car.

Thanks
Garry

Posted on: 2013/4/16 16:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Bloody Hell!!! That is not a project, that is a parts car. And I say that with all respect and fondness for these vehicles. You must have a reason, pray tell, or are simply insane. If you restore that hulk, with Pinfo as my witnesses, I will NEVER again complain, whine, or get on my soapbox about the difficulties of my restorations. Oh, and if (!!!) you need parts, I can help...but as stated, your gonna need a lot more than my help! Seek help!

Wait wait, is this an April fools joke?

Posted on: 2013/4/16 16:54
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved