Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

kevinpackard, Orange-Lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 171 172 173 (174) 175 176 177 ... 259 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BigKev Quote:
...it was easy peazy to get the lock strips in the windshield and the rear window. Basically no tools needed. Just straight undiluted dish soap on the lock strip and can push it into the channel with your thumbs.(snip)

Good hint. I'll have to remember that one.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/6 18:14
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
Looking good! Are those Packard Info sticker still available?

Cheers

Posted on: 2013/7/7 22:02
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Lyndon,

PackardInfo member Keegan had some made a few years back, and I bought one. At one stage I think Cafe press were doing them, but........I can't see any there now. There also used to be a link on Site to Cafe Press PackardInfo themed merchandise, t-shirts, caps, etc, but that went a while ago.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 3:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As Mal said, those stickers were made by a user several years ago. Sadly, no more left.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 23:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Got the front lower window stainless installed and also the wiper towers. Most of the back window stainless is done also, just need to find a couple of wayward clips.

Attach file:

jpg  (66.73 KB)
1_51db8eb72ceeb.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (73.22 KB)
1_51db8ec562c73.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2013/7/8 23:17
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I was laid up this weekend with a swollen eye thanks to an allergic reaction from a spider bite. So didn't get that much done, but yesterday evening I got into the garage for a couple of hours.

I needed to finish installing the rear window trim, but I realized I was missing two of the trim clips that slide into the bottom stainless and then go through the rubber seal. So with a couple of brass screws the correct length and size, and some left over 18ga sheet metal I made my own clips. These were just cut to size and then drilled for the screws. Then I tack welded the screw to the metal so it wouldn't free spin. They worked like a charm, and I was able to wrap up the rear window installation.

Next I moved on the rear vent windows. They installed with out an issue. These windows came to me from Ross's part stash, as my original rear vent windows were cracked. Luckily the seals in these windows were still nice and soft, so no replacement was needed and the assemble dropped right into the doors.

The front vent windows are a different story all together. They are the original windows on my car, and as such the seals were petrified and I literally had to chisel out the old seals in chunks. Hence the mess on the floor. Also to be able to change all the seals on the vent windows you basically have to drill out the rivets holding the assemble together.

Also I discovered I am missing the front division seals in my cache of Steele Rubber parts. So I had to order those. Also I will need to go buy a rivet gun to be able to reassemble the windows.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.53 KB)
1_51e5684c98811.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (116.27 KB)
1_51e5685d2a1bb.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (123.30 KB)
1_51e5686a5eb73.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (130.04 KB)
1_51e568753af16.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (140.35 KB)
1_51e5689246f9e.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (96.29 KB)
1_51e5689a87d39.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/7/16 10:37
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Front Division seals ordered from Steele. With the vent windows on hold, I decided to move on to some of the window channel stuff. I cut and installed the horizontal window sweeper fuzzies that install on bottom edge of the door window opening. By using the skeleton of an old piece, I was able to mark and drill the holes on the new pieces and reuse the original push clips.

So with that done I moved onto the tube of window channel that I got from the Yocum pile. Basically these were in a tube that was 72" long. But the cloth covered/chrome faced channel in there was not really a match for the channel that goes up the side of the window makes a radius turn over the top of the window. This stuff would not bend without horrible deforming. Also it was too deep to use as the channel against the division post. So crud.... looks like I will have to find something different that will work. The original channel that goes up and over the top window does not have the chrome facing and is the back of it rubber covered with and metal core that bends similar to a goose-neck lamp. Not sure where I can find a match for that or something that is rigid enough to hold it's shape, yet bendable enough to make that radiused bend without deforming.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 23:27
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I was laid up this weekend with a swollen eye thanks to an allergic reaction from a spider bite...

Kevin, your refrigerator is well-filled. Please don't bite into spiders.
But serious, get well soon.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.95 KB)
757_51e62df1549c2.jpg 500X178 px

Posted on: 2013/7/17 0:33
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The original channel that goes up and over the top window does not have the chrome facing and is the back of it rubber covered with and metal core that bends similar to a goose-neck lamp. Not sure where I can find a match for that or something that is rigid enough to hold it's shape, yet bendable enough to make that radiused bend without deforming.

You want the flexible window channel for the side with the curve and across the top. Restoration Specialties is where I got mine. They still have beaded or unbeaded in stainless and plain. Various shapes and sizes which you can compare to yours and pick the closest. The rigid is used on the straight piece vent window side.

If you have a local auto glass shop dealing with the older cars or street rod crowd, some of them used to carry or would order thru their suppliers. If you order directly from Rest Specialties they generally cut the 96" in two pieces for the 72" shipping price unless you tell them not to and pay for the oversize shipping.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 8:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok, I managed to order what I think will be the right pieces from Restoration Specialties and then should be here next week.

While all that is on the back burner, another question came up in regards to Windlace. Approx how many feet is needed to do a 51-54 Sedan?

Also where is cheapest place to procure it?

Restoration Specialties has in by the foot and I see two colors that may work based on the color of my seats/doors panels:

Navy Blue
Click to see original Image in a new window

Medium Blue

Other Colors

I'm leaning toward the Navy based on the color of the seat, which while blue, has a bit of gray tone to it. Opinions?

Posted on: 2013/7/17 15:33
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 171 172 173 (174) 175 176 177 ... 259 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved