Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 92

TxGoat, Ozstatman, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Seeking Advice for "New Owner Go Over Checklist" for 1939 120 1701 4 Door Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Lube everything that will ever need lube.

Replace all hoses and belts and anything else that migh be made of rubber. Check the dates on your tires; if there are no dates they are unquestionably too old to be safe. I said all, not some.

When you have completed this chore, you know what you have as opposed to guesswork. Remember that rubber in a decently stored car can look quite good but be garbage. This is cheap insurance to avoid being stranded by a fault that can be foreseen...

The Wisconsin Packard club (part of the National Packard Club) is a way to get involved with relatively nearby owners who can provide local knowledge, offer tours and other events. They have a website listed, but it appears to be down for now. The club is there; they do exist. You might check out the packard Club website; it too has useful info.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 22:50
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Seeking Advice for "New Owner Go Over Checklist" for 1939 120 1701 4 Door Sedan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tomlempicke
See User information
Congrats! We have a 1938 and it is a real pleasure to drive.

One problem that crops up on all old cars these days is gas tank varnish. It seems that the ethanol in modern gas will dissolve the crud on the bottom of your tank and create a pretty good glue to send through your system. If stuff starts sticking you can be pretty sure this is the problem.

In the South (where I live) we are starting to get service stations that sell non-ethanol gas for boats, lawn equipment, etc. It is usually the high test part of the pump and so it costs a bit but I have found that old cars really like the stuff. It really does cure a lot of the ills that befall these guys.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 6:36
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

RandyRebel
See User information
THANK YOU ALL! I just had the chance to get back to the forum and am very pleased to hear from so many offering endorsements and support. GREAT SUGGESTIONS in getting started on the 120. I have begun with Step 1 by draining the old gas out. It smells like turpentine and is clear but a dark golden brown. It had about 10 gallons in the tank. No residue, rust or debris came out. The plug was easily removed.

I put in new "good ole fashioned gas" that has 91 octane with no ethanol. Nice to still have a few stations within 10 miles that keep the premium free of ethanol. Wonder if there is any benefit to use an additional gas additive,like Sea Foam, or the Lucas products, to further clean the gas line and carb?If so, would appreciate suggestions either way.

I have started to work on next draining the radiator. I have purchased two options for a radiator flush. Prestone and Gunk were available, each with a different set of directions. It seems the Prestone is a milder flush and the Gunk more caustic to the point of possibly stripping some of the protective layers on the radiator core. I like the idea of a more aggressive flush to get out rust and debris but certainly don't want to harm anything.

In the few times that the engine has run for 10-15 minutes, the dash gauges read normal for oil pressure and water temperature, but when lifting the bonnet it seems hotter than I would expect. The Oil Cap and supply tube are smoking a bit, noting the oil fill dipstick says "Full".
I wonder if the water pump is able to move fluids around the engine block or if this heating is normal. So hoping a flush will assist in lowering water temperature. Do I need to replace a Thermostat, and if so, where do I find one?

I did open the stopcock on the lower front of the radiator and anti-freeze did come out. Nice and green, no rust or any discolor. I suspect it was changed during restoration 5 years ago, but, want to be certain its updated now.

Hoses look "OK", no leaks, but a good idea to replace them all and not worry about some unforeseen problem. Should I use currently made products or does a 1939 need something special?

Next Step: Oil Change and Filter Replacement. I found some SAE 30, as recommended by the 1939 Shop Manual, made by Citgo/Mystic, on sale for $1.80/quart. A deal, I think, at our Farm & Fleet Store. Lots of farmers still use this oil grade for tractors so it should continue to be available. Other SAE 30 makes, like Valvoline and Castrol were $5.99/qt. Can't imagine they are that much better... ACE Hardware and Walmart had some off label stuff, no specs, so not sure of quality. Any thoughts on Citgo being OK?

For a new Oil Filter I called NAPA, who had nothing, and KANTER, who had a replacement Canister for a 1938, for $79 plus 15% shipping. Are there any other correct options, or
should I use the 1938 unit. My Shop Manual seems to suggest that the Flathead 8 282cu inch is the same in 1938 and 1939.

As far as on Air Filter, neither NAPA or KANTER had anything! Kanter told me to go to HEMMINGS and find other Packard Parts Dealers. Any suggestions on what should be used, or, could be used, to have some Air Filter Protection?

So, that's it for Engine Issues, now Trim & Accessories.

The pot metal passenger side front door handle fell off. The pot metal cracked with small pieces falling off. KANTER said they didn't have a replacement. So, the search begins, or, is there some way to re-form the existing to get it back in service. I will take some pics and post them for advice.

I also see that on the center of the door support post on the passenger side, there is a plastic part, worn & broken, that I have no idea about it's function. Is that a switch for the ceiling light, a pull strap mount, or ?

I am also missing the Seat Adjustment Pull Knob that supposedly control the front seat to slide it forward and back and somehow raises it a bit. Not sure it works or what needs to be replaced.

One hubcap "Packard Eight" is pretty dented, so, I'd like to replace it. I find one at KANTER for $85 & 12.95 Shipping, or 4 at $288 & $43 shipping. Anyone out there have one, or know where is best to get one. I read that the best are made by chrome plating the brass shell. Sounds right, so, may be worth paying more now than some stamped out cheaper versions. Again, appreciate your thoughts or where to find one.

Lastly for now, I love the look of the Front Grille Bumper Guard with 3 Horizontal Rods that tie the two front Vertical Bumper Guards together. Would love to find that option that works on the 39 bumper. I see more pics of them being on a Super 8 and especially in the 1940 and 1941 models. Anyone know where to find one?

And one more sweet detail would be a set of Fog Lights, that mount to the front bumper supports. I love the look of Trippe Lights, but, kinda pricey if you can even find them. There appear to be some aftermarket items out there in 5 and 6 inch versions. KANTER has a set with the Packard Crest on the top. Kinda look like Trippe's but a much better price at $208 for 6" Amber.

Oh, one more thing, Outside RearView Mirrors. I love the look of mounting on the top of the sidemount tires. Looks like you'd have to drill holes in the tire trim cover making it permanent. I've been told the functional view is very limited, poor range, and dangerous. Option two is aftermarket hot rod shop Peep Mirrors that attach to the door frame. I have a set of those previously purchased, and for now at least seem a starting point. What is the suggested placement along the door that works best? Any thought about Door Mounted versus Sidemount Tire mounted?

WOW, that's a lot of questions!!! Sorry to be so "Long Winded". It just seems like there is so much to know, to fix, to update.... It really is an addictive and totally cool distraction. I LOVE THIS! Thanks for all your help and commentary. I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT!

I will try to post some pics today as well.

ALL MY BEST,

Randy Prestash
Oconomowoc, WI

Posted on: 2013/7/31 11:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

RandyRebel wrote:
...I have begun with Step 1 by draining the old gas out. It smells like turpentine and is clear but a dark golden brown. It had about 10 gallons in the tank. No residue, rust or debris came out. The plug was easily removed.

Your 120 may have a filter screen in the bottom of the fuel pump and at the inlet of the carburetor. Good idea to check these screens as they can get plugged up.

...Wonder if there is any benefit to use an additional gas additive,like Sea Foam, or the Lucas products, to further clean the gas line and carb?If so, would appreciate suggestions either way.

No experience with gas additives like you talk about, but do use a product called Stabil. It is a fuel stabilizer and used when the car is not used for long periods of time. You may not even need this if you are using the good gas.

I have started to work on next draining the radiator. I have purchased two options for a radiator flush. Prestone and Gunk were available, each with a different set of directions. It seems the Prestone is a milder flush and the Gunk more caustic to the point of possibly stripping some of the protective layers on the radiator core. I like the idea of a more aggressive flush to get out rust and debris but certainly don't want to harm anything.

You will probably get lots of suggestions on this, but I prefer to back flush the radiator and block. That is run the flushing water backwards through the system. Remove the hoses to the radiator but leave the cap in place and run the flushing water up the radiator. This will help to flush debris out the top and not plug up the top of the core. Likewise, run the flushing water into the housing on the front top of the cylinder head and have it run out the water pump inlet (bottom hose connection). If it has a thermostat in the housing, remove it and replace the housing. Check operation of thermostat and replace all hoses. Good idea to back flush the heater core too, if equipped.

In the few times that the engine has run for 10-15 minutes, the dash gauges read normal for oil pressure and water temperature, but when lifting the bonnet it seems hotter than I would expect. The Oil Cap and supply tube are smoking a bit, noting the oil fill dipstick says "Full".
I wonder if the water pump is able to move fluids around the engine block or if this heating is normal. So hoping a flush will assist in lowering water temperature. Do I need to replace a Thermostat, and if so, where do I find one?

What you are seeing coming out of the breather cap is blow by. Combustion gases getting by the rings. It will probably get better the more you run the engine. Clean the breather cap per manual instructions. If the 120 uses a conventional thermostat then they should be available an local parts stores. I would suggest nothing higher than 160F.

I did open the stopcock on the lower front of the radiator and anti-freeze did come out. Nice and green, no rust or any discolor. I suspect it was changed during restoration 5 years ago, but, want to be certain its updated now.

Good idea, the anti freeze part of the solution stays, but the rust inhibitors break down over time.

Hoses look "OK", no leaks, but a good idea to replace them all and not worry about some unforeseen problem. Should I use currently made products or does a 1939 need something special?

Nothing special on the hoses unless you need a curved bottom hose. Stay away from the universal type that can formed to make curves. They are too stiff and can damage the radiator necks.

Next Step: Oil Change and Filter Replacement. I found some SAE 30, as recommended by the 1939 Shop Manual, made by Citgo/Mystic, on sale for $1.80/quart. A deal, I think, at our Farm & Fleet Store. Lots of farmers still use this oil grade for tractors so it should continue to be available. Other SAE 30 makes, like Valvoline and Castrol were $5.99/qt. Can't imagine they are that much better... ACE Hardware and Walmart had some off label stuff, no specs, so not sure of quality. Any thoughts on Citgo being OK?

Your choice of oil sounds fine.

For a new Oil Filter I called NAPA, who had nothing, and KANTER, who had a replacement Canister for a 1938, for $79 plus 15% shipping. Are there any other correct options, or
should I use the 1938 unit. My Shop Manual seems to suggest that the Flathead 8 282cu inch is the same in 1938 and 1939.

Oil filter elements should be available at NAPA and other stores. Use your old one for a sample. Depends on what manufacture you have (Fram, Purolator, AC). It is a by-pass type filter system.

As far as on Air Filter, neither NAPA or KANTER had anything! Kanter told me to go to HEMMINGS and find other Packard Parts Dealers. Any suggestions on what should be used, or, could be used, to have some Air Filter Protection?

Air filter element is to be serviced not replaced. You may have an oil bath or dry mesh type. Service them according to the manual instructions.

...And one more sweet detail would be a set of Fog Lights, that mount to the front bumper supports. I love the look of Trippe Lights, but, kinda pricey if you can even find them. There appear to be some aftermarket items out there in 5 and 6 inch versions. KANTER has a set with the Packard Crest on the top. Kinda look like Trippe's but a much better price at $208 for 6" Amber.

I bought a set of fog lights from Kanter. More for looks than function, but they light the road well.

Oh, one more thing, Outside RearView Mirrors. I love the look of mounting on the top of the sidemount tires. Looks like you'd have to drill holes in the tire trim cover making it permanent. I've been told the functional view is very limited, poor range, and dangerous. Option two is aftermarket hot rod shop Peep Mirrors that attach to the door frame. I have a set of those previously purchased, and for now at least seem a starting point. What is the suggested placement along the door that works best? Any thought about Door Mounted versus Sidemount Tire mounted?

If you have a set of 4" Peep mirrors they will work great. I would suggest mounting them high on the forward edge of the door. I mounted a set on my 37 Six convertible and they provide much better vision coverage than what is normally done where they are mounted lower down on the door. They are not authentic, but look great and work better than traditional ones.

WOW, that's a lot of questions!!! Sorry to be so "Long Winded". It just seems like there is so much to know, to fix, to update.... It really is an addictive and totally cool distraction. I LOVE THIS! Thanks for all your help and commentary. I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT!

I will try to post some pics today as well.

ALL MY BEST,

Randy Prestash
Oconomowoc, WI

Posted on: 2013/7/31 12:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Randy,
for including your '39 One Twenty 4 Door Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. Great looking Packard!

Posted on: 2013/7/31 15:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Randy

Preeeetttttty!

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Randy - does the seat adjustment have the threaded shaft attached to it? I broke the pot metal knob on my 39 by sitting on it when I had the front seat out to work on the dash. I can make you a replica of the knob out of brass if you want - that's what I have on my car now.

For oil, I use Shell Rotella, 30 weight in my 39 and 51 cars. If you have the canister type oil filter, Napa does have it, you just have to take the old one in and say "match it". Sometimes the computer doesn't show Packard.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Randy, here is a photo of a 4" Peep Mirror on my 37 Six Convertible Coupe. There is another mirror on the RH side in the same location. Mounting the mirrors high on the leading edge of the doors will give you a good field of view and allow the vent windows to open 90 degrees. The RH or passenger side mirror actually serves a purpose and helps in driving in traffic. I like the looks of them even if they were not an authentic Packard accessory.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (74.17 KB)
565_51f9c53ca3fe2.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/7/31 21:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved