Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

MHP, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1930 Rocker Panel Cover - Gasket Change Challenges
Just popping in
Just popping in

David Billett
See User information
Time to change the gaskets for the rocker arm panel - circled. They leaked last time we ran the car, since cleaned up. No problem getting new gaskets from Olson's, but removing the cover is going to be a challenge. It wont budge, and obviously I don't want to scuff or damage anything on removing them. Aluminium on aluminium. These gaskets haven't likely been changed since the engine was restored in 1958 by my Dad and Reuter's Coachworks. The tolerance is so tight that there seem to be hardly any play for trying to pry it off in one direction. Any ideas out there to safely remove these covers without causing any undue stress or damage to the parts? 1930 7-45 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 5/23 19:08
1930 7-45 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 Rocker Panel Cover - Gasket Change Challenges
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Try a very thin putty knife/scraper or better still two or more. Hammer them in gently, gently. Keep at it a little at a time. Rocker cover might have been re-installed using a liquid gasket which is now resisting your removal efforts.

Posted on: 5/23 20:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
OK, it has been a long time since I looked at one, but don't those aluminum castings actually hold the rockers over the camshaft? Then to remove them you will need to prop all of the valves up out of the way.

Posted on: 5/24 6:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Ross is correct the roller, valve lifter arms are connected to those covers.
You may be able to remove them, with valves in place, much prying and cussing,
but I doubt you can get them back on without removing the valves.
This is why you see so many engines with slight signs of leaks around those covers.

Good luck, John

Posted on: 5/24 10:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
On my 1934 Eight (same valve lever and roller arrangement) I was able to remove the cam follower covers/levers/rollers with lots of frustrating effort without lifting any of the valves off their seats. But to reinstall them I had to lift and block open those valves that were open when the units were removed, i.e. those where the cam lobe was off it's base line. If you have a choice, this is a job best set aside until such time as a valve servicing is needed.

Posted on: 5/24 12:10
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

David Billett
See User information
Thank you all for your replies. Apparently I had no idea what I was getting into. This is not a simple gasket change. Another Packard owner sent me a picture from his '32 showing the valve lifter arms that are connected to the panel. I'm going to try to pry the cover a tiny bit and squeeze some RTV sealant in there for now, and live with the leak until I need valve work. I'm in over my head here!

Posted on: 5/24 12:43
1930 7-45 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's a picture of what you're dealing with, this from my '34. Yours is similar but if not updated would have stamped steel arms rather than forgings.

Attach file:

jpg  Cam followers.jpg (2,605.41 KB)
177_6650d54d6c399.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 5/24 12:58
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved