Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 300 owner Got a few questions
Just popping in
Just popping in

Two-bit
See User information
Hello, newer/ish owner here of a '51 300, 327, ultramatic.

1) When i was entering my car in the registry, the paint code i have on my "VIN" plate was not on the list for '51. The plate is marked with an "X". Car is black, and i believe it is the original color. All the door jambs, under hood, and inside of trunk are the same color.
Not sure whats up with that? Some kind of odd option maybe?
Trim code is listed as "71".

2) Fuel gauge is slightly voodoo. Fill the tank, sometimes it reads FULL, sometimes 3/4. I have topped off the tank with the gauge on EMPTY, put in 12 gallons. HHMMMM, not a real big dilemma, just an oddity.
My guess is sender getting funky after 73 years ? Right track ? or look elsewhere first ?

3) The Ultramatic performs well, seems to shift ok. But leaks out of multiple places, shift rod, something from inside the bellhousing, and the pan gasket. Crawling under it, and adding fluid is becoming a real pain.
Looking for a good supplier for a "reseal" or full seal kit for it.

4) Wiring harness. Does anyone make a replacement harness for these ? My harness is complete, but the cloth covering is getting rather brittle, really brittle in the engine compartment. Really don't want to let the smoke out of anything.

Thanks all.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 300 owner Got a few questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Two-bit,
to PackardInfo, and for including your '53 300 Touring Sedan in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe Black was code X in almost all years and was a constant or considered a given as far as Packard was concerned. Some of the paint charts will list an X for black but don't have a corresponding color chip and others do not even mention it. Here is a bit from the 52 Ditzler chart which for all practical purposes will be identical to 51 showing an X. The 51 Dupont chart has no reference to black at all. Starting on page XIV in the intro section of the 48-54 parts manual is a color code listing for those years the manual covers. Description of materials used with the upholstery trim codes follow the paint codes.

Click to see original Image in a new window

The fuel sender is the most likely culprit on the gauge issue. The support that holds the resistance wire has probably warped or the wiper is not making good contact so the value is changing and gauge is getting false info in spots. You can take the sender out after dropping the tank and check it with an ohmmeter to see if there is a smooth change from approx 73 ohms at empty to 10 at full. I would almost bet you will find the numbers jump around quite a bit during the float movement. New 51-56 repro senders are available from our vendors and a couple of aftermarket suppliers. Sometimes they can be cleaned but often it is almost better to replace them than try to repair since repairs don't always seem to be all that successful or last all that long. Note that there may have been an early and late sender for 51 so depending on where your car falls there may be some slight difference that would need to be considered or worked around. As far as I know the repro senders will work on all 51 models though.

Seals are a common issue after so many years. Some can be obtained aftermarket but depending on how many you want to change the best suggestion is talk to our vendors -- Kanter Auto, Max Merritt, or Tucson Packard and see if any have just a seal kit. The pan gasket can be easily changed. To stop a leak the throttle and manual shaft can sometimes have a second seal added in addition to the one in the car if the shaft area where the new seal will ride is undamaged but to do it properly and for any of the others except maybe the rear seal the trans will need to come out.

Almost any of the vintage loom places make new looms. RI Wiring, Y n Z Yesterday's Parts, Potomac Packard and a couple of others all have Packard info and can make one that duplicates the original in look but a complete new loom will not be cheap. Most of the time the usual wire issues can be covered by just getting what is called the main loom. The body loom and most of the accessory looms are fairly well protected and usually do not get the same amount of deterioration caused by the engine heat and grease.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I have a 53 Cavalier, basically the same car, just a couple years newer.

1. Your car should be DAL-9100 Black, same as my car. My Trim Code is 84.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1949-1951_Ditzler.pdf

2. I cleaned my fuel tank and my sending unit, both were pretty gunky, and the sending unit has been working well since and is pretty accurate. I would suspect cleaning your sending unit will fix your issue. The sending unit can be disassembled........carefully. If you do remove the sending unit you'll probably need a new o-ring.

3. My transmission was leaking from the shift shaft, output shaft, oil pan, and throttle valve shaft as well. I was able to replace those four and cured the pan leaks, output shaft leak, and throttle shaft leak, but the shift shaft, which is the worst of the four still leaks. I have a mark on that shaft which I think is buggering up the seal. To remove that shaft the transmission has to be out, so I have left it for now. I purchased seals from Kanter.

4. You could make your own harness if you're so inclined. I think there was a post on here, or maybe FB, of a guy that pulled his harness and then duplicated it. Original cloth wire is available, but not cheap!

These are great cars! Enjoy!!!

Posted on: Yesterday 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Ultramatic you need a pan gasket, bell housing gasket, tailshaft gasket, and 4 shaft seals. The converter gasket is probably OK. But might as well check it out, remember to scribe balancing marks and where the weights go.

You may want to wipe it down then just run it in neutral on a lift and check for leaks. Leaks from the bell housing will very likely be the front main seal (converter shaft seal).

Posted on: Yesterday 21:28
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
YnZ’s Yesterday’s Parts make a perfect reproduction harness. Not inexpensive but it also takes far less fuss and time to install than it does using a generic harness. Their harnesses are well-labeled and come with a good terminal list of what goes where so you can’t go wrong!

Posted on: Today 3:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved