Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 63

olduker, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

37 120 Fender Clearance issue
Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom_F
See User information
My 37 120 Convertible coupe sits too low in the front and the tires hit the fenders occasionally. I put new coil springs in recently (ordered from Kanter/accounted for the side spares). But, the left side still scrapes. I have standard thin whitewalls on the car. Any suggestions?
Could this just be camber adjustment? It's more a height issue than anything, it seems......

Posted on: 2021/11/25 8:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 37 120 Fender Clearance issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Did you use new spring pads? Flack will know more about this then me… but I know there are pads in there.

My bmw z3 even had different thickness pads that could be had to fine tune adjustments on the rear.

Posted on: 2021/11/25 15:11
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
"Standard thin whitwalls" not particularly useful info, what size are they?

Do we assume the riding height is less on the left front than the right front?

Just when Does this scraping occur? When the the tire is in a left turn? Right turn? Straight ahead?

Posted on: 2021/11/25 17:48
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom_F
See User information
Sorry for the delay, Owen. The tires are Coker 16 inch. I'll need to check the size... The Scraping occurs when I hit a bump while making a left turn. The right side/passenger side clearance between the tire and lower front fender is about 2-1/2 inches and the driver's side is about 1 inch when the car is parked. Body work is clean and the fenders appear correct. I will bring it to Kanter restoration for a once-over.

Posted on: 2022/2/20 7:39
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris Libby
See User information
Three years later after the original post I have the same issue on my 1937 120C coupe convertible. I've pretty much restored the car but the same clearance problem still exists. My clearance problem is at the front edge of the right front tire well. I installed new coil springs with pads to no avail. The car has Coker Classic tires that are 6.50R x 16 (0riginal specs call for a 7.00 width). I looked at a bias ply but they are the same diameter as the radial. I noted that the 6.00 width was an 1" less in diameter. I adjusted the camber pilot thimbles but that makes little difference. The left side tire clearance is approximately 1" to 1 1/2", close but does'nt rub. Any thoughts on how I can increase the clearance without ripping the car apart?? Is it possible the frame is bent? Any way to check this? Picture isn't too helpful but puts the car in context.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_5754.jpeg (3,019.25 KB)
newbb_66ba58c0add91.jpeg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: Today 13:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Chris Libby,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '37 120C Convertible Coupe in PackarInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry

Posted on: Today 15:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I have a '37 120 C conv. cpe also. Tire to fender clearance is tight but nothing rubs. It has Lester 7.00 X 16 bias tires on it. The camber adjustment is for wheel alignment only and will not materially affect tire clearance. You may have sheet metal alignment issues or perhaps the wrong wheels. If the car looks good, drives good, and sits correctly with good springs, it's not likely that the frame is bent. A picture showing exactly what rubs would be helpful.The suspension travel is limited up and down by rubber bumpers. The front to rear position of the front wheels is set by the radius arm that runs from the frame forward to the lower control arm and the upper control arm/shock absorber. There isn't much adjustment at these points.
Wheel offset or tire profile could be a problem, but I'd think the nominal 6.50 X 16 tire would work well.

Posted on: Today 17:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would measure the distances from the frame to both corners of the fender wheel openings on both side and see if they are the same.

All the front sheet metal aligns off the radiator core support. The core support pivots on a single bolt. That bolt can be adjusted left/right front/back as the hole in the frame is oversized. It can also be adjusted up/down by adding or removing shims.

I'd also check that the fender tab that attaches to the brace that comes off the core support isn't broken and the bolt is tight. You can loosen that bolt and pull the fender up and tighten it which raises the fender and also increase the distance between the lower front corner of the wheel opening and the frame.

It's not uncommon for that tab to break off of the fender, which can leave the fender hanging lower than expected and also make the lower edge sit closer to the frame.

It it's rubbing on the rear corner, then I'd make sure the rear brace is in place as that set the distance between that corner and the frame.

The measures I mentioned above will at least confirm something is wrong with the fender alignment as opposed to the steering/wheel alignment.

Posted on: Today 17:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved