Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 90

TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Compression Tester
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I am trying to find a compression tester for my 1928 Packard. It appears the spark plugs are a 7/8"x18. All I can find are smaller adapters. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Gar

Posted on: Yesterday 16:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Compression Tester
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
They make ones that simply are to be held over the hole. It has rubber on the outside so it seals as you press it onto the hole. Universal… but takes two people unless you have a remote starter button. Kinda like this in the link but the correct dial.

https://www.autotoolworld.com/Lincoln-Industrial-MV5525-Stem-Compression-Tester_p_151078.html?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADutwyJPP9QuXGKvjnn_HK4kud4w0&gclid=CjwKCAjw59q2BhBOEiwAKc0ijUb3X0pvrKP81pFyzRvMvjDViNfXtr87Sb221gFfG5fzb3EoNBYzWhoCZm0QAvD_BwE

Posted on: Yesterday 18:10
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
FWIW adding an underhood remote starter to any Packard should not be of significant difficulty, unless you have your car judged at shows, in which case you will need to use something that connects with alligator clips and is attached as needed.

Also, I don't know the compression ratio on these cars, but if we assume it's 5 to 1, then that's almost 60 lbs pushing your tester off the car if it's a 7/8" hole, so keep that in mind as well if you plan to buy one.

Posted on: Yesterday 18:36
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
FWIW adding an underhood remote starter to any Packard should not be of significant difficulty

Maybe not so easy on this car if it has the foot operated manual starting switch.

Quote:

Gar wrote:
I am trying to find a compression tester for my 1928 Packard. It appears the spark plugs are a 7/8"x18. All I can find are smaller adapters. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Gar

You might check with some of the Model A vendors. Many of them sell adaptor sets to convert the old 7/8-18 plugs to a modern 14 mm size and almost all compression gauge kits should have an adapter that would work with that size. This vendor has the adapters but down toward the bottom of the detail note he also says if you need an adapter to use with a compression gauge you can order a single adapter under a different number.

If that doesn't work out Summit has cheap 7/8-18 plugs and you could do the gut and braze of the plug base to make your own adapter.

Posted on: Yesterday 19:03
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks for the clarification, Howard. One could buy a replacement 6V solenoid aftermarket and hook it up in parallel with (or bypass) the foot electrical switch if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Tisco-8N11450-Starter-Solenoid-Tractor/dp/B00BW5QISK?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A1SPBZ57COJYFU

Posted on: Yesterday 20:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
I think Cli55er was referring to the standard mechanic's tool.
Like this one: Remote Starter Switch

Posted on: Today 5:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks, gotcha. I meant that if you use that in conjunction with a solenoid, then you can remotely switch full battery current.

Posted on: Today 6:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved