Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
55 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 54

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 120 Fan Belt question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I am rebuilding a 120 and have tried unsuccessfully to remove the fan belt. The attached pictures show the nut that is causing me grief.

According to the prior owner, the front end of the car was hit many years ago. I am thinking that maybe motor mount rubber or shims were never installed after the accident, but the own said he has put several hundred miles on the car and have not had any issues.

Suggestions?

Thx,
Gar

Attach file:

jpg  1000000504.jpg (358.33 KB)
185433_66e241a57b6b8.jpg 2016X1512 px

jpg  1000000505.jpg (404.26 KB)
185433_66e241ad8fe8f.jpg 1512X2016 px

Posted on: Yesterday 20:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 120 Fan Belt question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The usual reason for the belt removal issue is the front motor mount rubber has deteriorated and the engine has sagged. The sag can also be an issue with getting a socket wrench on the bottom bolts when you need to remove or replace the water pump. You will need to place a jack under the oil pan and lift the engine slightly. Be sure to use some wood on the jack pad to spread the load on the pan so you don't put a dent in it. Others have made a wooden cradle which is wide enough to catch the pan at the edges on either side for this purpose.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Probably a good time to replace that front motor mount as well.

It's that piece rubber piece with the two bolts in it in the mount yoke above the pulleys.

That will restore the engine placent back to where it should be.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I may be wrong on this as its late and Pinfo is my bedtime story reading, but it may also be the bolt you see under the balancer is wrong... that is to say my brain is buzzing this is the 341162 center steering arm bolt assy which is otherwise just a large shorter nut with a washer and a cotter pin? Might this be an issue in addition to sagging motor mounts... and yes, easy to remove the two front engine mount bolts at the frame and jack up the engine a bit...surely this shouldn't be....

Posted on: Yesterday 22:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Would these be the correct mounts?

Steele Rubber Part p/n: 30-0375-11

This Revulcanization Service Only is designed to restore your rear engine support at transmission housing to a like new original condition. Service requires your metal core. Please call or email for more service details and ordering.
$323.49/pr.

Thank you again.

Attach file:

jpg  Engine Mts 120.jpg (25.41 KB)
185433_66e3325bcbe35.jpg 600X600 px

Posted on: Today 13:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the two mounts you show in the photo are the rear pair which bolt to the rear cross member at either side of the transmission. The front mount rubber is this pair.

The single front mount rubber consists of a pair of rectangular pieces which fit in a socket like setup on the front wishbone mount which is the curved two leg support surrounding the timing cover on the engine. The bolts holding the mount to the crossmember are removed or loosened so when two other bolts are removed it can tip or move the entire mount forward. The two bolts you see in the center of your second photo are holding a small rectangular plate and are removed so the plate can come off and support leg part tip forward. The old rubber is removed and new pieces inserted, one piece from the back of the leg support piece with the center hole over a boss on the engine side mounted plate and the other from the front. The pair of rubber pieces are held in by the rectangular plate and two bolts which go thru the opening in the rubber to thread into the boss at the rear plate..

You do need to check the bolt flackmaster mentions though because it does look high and may not let the belt pass. If it is the cause of the problem, unless the mount rubber is completely shot changing it may not help the belt issue but mount would eventually need to be done anyway so now is a good time. I believe the bolt is part of the steering center link bearing assy and those do wear or bind and cause steering issues. You might check that bearing for overall condition while everything is apart but others are more versed in prewar cars than I am so they can better give info on the bolt and what else to look for.

Posted on: Today 14:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Having had a 1939, three 1940s and a 1941, the bolt looks perfectly normal to me. It's the engine that is low.

Posted on: Today 15:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved