Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 182

Aiden, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear axle keyway position.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill B
See User information
Where should the keyway end up, at the full in our outer end of hub groove on my 22nd series please.

Posted on: Today 19:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear axle keyway position.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Maybe a photo would clarify what you’re asking. There is no keyway position.

Posted on: Today 19:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If I understand your question, simply position it to give full engagement to the corresponding keyway slot in the drum hub with none protruding to interfere with the hub-retaining washer and nut.

Posted on: Today 19:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bill, you should be abe to see the full "length" of the keyway before you reinstall the brake drum and replace and re-torque the axle nut. If not, something is "wrong".

Posted on: Today 20:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Bill B

IIRC the key is dressed, or may be dressed to have a curved surface on one side of one end. If your key has such a feature that faces towards inward meaning toward center line of the axle shaft and the toward the differential.

The hub has key way slot that is broached such that the full length is rectangular (constant geometry). The axle was machined with a key cutter, and has a rectangular entry near the axle nut thread. However as the cutter approaches the bearing area the procession of the cutter advancement is paused. This area of the keyway slot will have a circular surface of the same diameter as the cutter.

Take a look at your axle and determine:
1.) Does the axle have such keyway cutter geometry?
2.) Does the key have a ground end that matches the axle geometry?

If you answer ‘yes’ to both questions then of the eight ways the key could be installed only one is correct!

If you don’t have a key with the ground curved surface then you will be required to make one or use a shorter key. The worst thing you can do is attempt to force a square key into the curved portion of the slot, so if you are using a square key make sure the end at the axle nut tread seats properly, and the total length does not allow interference at the radius formed by the cutter. I believe in either case, the key is held captive by the cutter curved surface, and the washer at the nut. If a shorter key is used the captive characteristic is not defeated. Remember if the key is a bit outboard the torque on the rear axle nut will push the key flush to the outboard surface of the hub. If you use a shorter key you might consider putting a slight chamfer on the surface that may contact the curved feature.

I suspect a ‘best practice’ would be install the key and hub and put about 1/2 of the required torque, and then remove the nut and washer and inspect. The key should not be proud to the hub.

dp

Posted on: Today 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Bill B

I re-read your question and have concluded you might have a short key. There’s nothing wrong with that if the shorter length avoids the curved surface in the axle produced by the key cutter. I would test fit the key as far inward (toward the differential) as it can go, but not too far to have an interference fit with the curved surface. Then measure the distance from the key to the shoulder on the axle near the thread. Once you re-assemble the drum/hub you have an appreciation on what the maximum gap might be between the hub and the end of the key.

dp

Posted on: Today 20:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved