Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
368 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 368

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Clippers Twin-Ultramatic Shifter Problem
Just popping in
Just popping in

HotRodKid56
See User information
Yeasterday I got my 56 Packard Engine in and Today I installed the Gear linkage but I had a problem the Transmission does't let me to shift gears in I can only Shift it from P to N but It doesn't let me put in H D L or R its like somethings is blocking it It doesnt have oil in Transmission right now becouse it leaked out while I was Travelling with an engine to home becouse this engine is from 56 Patrician and the drain bolt wasn't tighten but the question now is does it have somekind of safety mechanism in it so it does't let you to put gear in when it doesnt have oil or is it just stuck becouse I dont dare now to put oil in if I need To drop the pan if its stuck so yes help

Attach file:

jpg  20240930_142843.jpg (2,460.35 KB)
227117_66fca13ce78a5.jpg 4608X2592 px

Posted on: Yesterday 20:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Clippers Twin-Ultramatic Shifter Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
Since you said you installed the gear linkage, can we assume that you are using the gear shift lever on the steering column to make the shift you are having the problem with?

Have you tried shifting using the control manual valve lever directly on the transmission with the linkage removed? Are all gears available at the transmission?

There are numerous potential issues between those points, from the lever on the transmission on backwards to the detents for the gear shift lever, they need to be checked at each step from the transmission to the steering column.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day HotRodKid56,
to PackardInfo, and from Finlad. Can't be many Packards there.

I invite you to include your '56 Clipper in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Good luck with sorting out the linkage/gear change.

Posted on: Yesterday 22:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Since P and N

Are at opposite sides.

Lever on manual shaft is probably loose.

Or. Your not in neutral..

Any case drop the pan.

The manual valve will go back an forth without oil. Lubrication is always better

It should go. Click . Click. Click. Click all positions. The Click is the gear. H.D.l.r.n.

When you are in P. Turn the flange. And you'll hear a big snap/click the pawl locking into parking gear

Posted on: Today 0:31
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved