Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 213

PACK-41, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 126 127 128 (129) 130 131 132 ... 259 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The obvious issue is that when the motor is stopped, some of the fluid from convertor starts to drain back into the pan, and this raises the level, which can give you a false level.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 14:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
That's exactly the point. So we agree on the fact that running the engine and keeping the fluid in motion when checking the level is a good idea?

Posted on: 2011/8/2 4:14
All the best from Holland!
Hans

Clipper Deluxe Touring sedan 1954
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
The obvious issue is that when the motor is stopped, some of the fluid from convertor starts to drain back into the pan, and this raises the level, which can give you a false level.

A great deal of drain-back to the converter would be rather unusual, I think. I would say having fluid going through the trans circuit themselves is more likely the reason for running the engine while checking (which is I believe almost universally the correct way to check automatic fluid levels).

My '07 Cherokee Hemi has the unusual feature, pointed out in the manual, of draining most of the fluid out of the converter whenever the engine is shut off. They warn that at times on startup there may be a lag after engaging the trans, as the convertor has not filled yet! Checking procedure is the same--engine running.

Quote:
...you will see a black patch panel on the floor under the accelerator. This is literal where I put my foot down, and through!

Just a note on a similar situation when my dad "put his foot down" on the dimmer switch of his severely rusted out '60 Falcon, and the switch dropped through the floor and went tinkle tinkle down the pavement... he then put his foot down for real and finally parked the car.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 13:41
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i have always been taught....get it to operating temp....run it through the gears several times...put it in neutral...leave it running and check the level.

my truck was the same way filling it with trans fluid the first time...took awhile for the converter to fill with fluid and it was a bit weird at first, but it smoothed out.

sounds like your dad about had a flintstone's car. LOL!

Posted on: 2011/8/2 15:01
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Thanks for your reactions on this subject, guys.

What could have been the reason that Packard wants you to shut the engine off before checking the level (in a hurry because you have do to it within one minute)? Checking and topping it up with the engine running is so much easier and as you mention the common procedure.

????

Posted on: 2011/8/3 3:40
All the best from Holland!
Hans

Clipper Deluxe Touring sedan 1954
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Hans wrote:
...What could have been the reason that Packard wants you to shut the engine off before checking the level (in a hurry because you have do to it within one minute)? Checking and topping it up with the engine running is so much easier and as you mention the common procedure.

Possibly because prior to the Gearstart transmission, you had to physically crawl under the car to check the level. Not a real good idea with the engine running.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 7:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

cli55er wrote:

sounds like your dad about had a flintstone's car. LOL!

Well, just don't let Kev hear you say that about his Clipper.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 22:46
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've said before, early drivers were made of sterner stuff. Just think, you could lift up a real "floor" board in some cars and watch the road go by, have gasoline a foot or so in front of you in cars where the cowl was part of the gas tank, actually sit inches above an engine only covered with wood and hope nothing caught fire in real early cars, have ordinary plate glass keeping the wind or anything else out of your face, and any number of other exciting little things no one gave any thought about before NTSB and the like came along..

Posted on: 2011/8/3 22:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
... all while you motored along at 35 mph!

I get your point, though. Today's "cocoon" cars are nice for a while, but bo-ring.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 12:58
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well instead of armchair mechanicing.... I decided to get back to work of the Clipper. After all, turning wrenches and getting the cars back on the road is the purpose of the website.

So while I have been putting off this task, I can do so no longer. So join me as I fumble my way through replacing the floor pans in the Clipper.

First is a picture of the passenger side floor pan.

I used a sharpie and drew a line around the floor to give me a guide line for cutting. While the replacement pans extend up the toe boards, I am electing to remove only the bad area and leave as much of the good original floor as possible. Also I didn't want to be welding right up again the firewall insulator pad.

There are some rust that extends into area where the replacement pans are not wide enough. I will fix those with sheet metal formed to shape.

The old floor was then cut out with a shielded high-speed cutting wheel (use a face shield folks). When cutting out the floors you have to be aware of the underfloor braces. Also I discovered up on the toe-board, it is made of two pieces of sheet metal which are both flanged and welded together to form another underfoot brace. The replacement floor pan is one piece of metal and does not have that brace. So I cut the floor out in a way to retain that flange. I will plug weld the new floor to that brace to retain the support.

Normally one would grind down the area over the floor braces to find the spot welds, and then drill them out. The floor was so bad that was impossible. So I used a air chisel to break all the spot welds. Most were no longer attached. You can really see how bad the floor is with it out of the car and sitting on the garage floor.

All of the under floor braces are in good shape. Just surface rusted. One thing I did discover is that body bolt to the frame in that area had rust away and the bottom part of the bolt was long gone.. So I will need to replace that bolt.

Did some initial clean up with a grinder to remove some of the surface rust to prep for priming and welding.

Stay tuned for more progress over the next few days....

Attach file:

jpg  (71.77 KB)
1_4e4b357287135.jpg 1280X760 px

jpg  (79.58 KB)
1_4e4b35873e656.jpg 760X1280 px

jpg  (66.48 KB)
1_4e4b359914107.jpg 760X1280 px

jpg  (71.16 KB)
1_4e4b35aa00f65.jpg 760X1280 px

jpg  (67.50 KB)
1_4e4b35b629b3b.jpg 760X1280 px

jpg  (76.04 KB)
1_4e4b35c98fd08.jpg 760X1280 px

Posted on: 2011/8/16 22:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 126 127 128 (129) 130 131 132 ... 259 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved