Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 220

Paul E. Gallagher, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1950 windshield wiper cable
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
The cable that attaches to the passenger wiper broke and I was able to remove it from most of cable attach points. The problem I am having is removing the cable from the unit that the wiper arm attaches to (wiper arm shaft?). The cable enters the unit over one pulley and goes around the shaft that turns the blade then exits over another pulley. Simple yet clever design. Problem is the cable will not pull free of the wiper arm shaft. If you pull the cable it will only go so far then stop. Whats holding the cable and how do I release it so the cable can be replaced ? First impulse is to force it, however I thought I would ask first.

Thanks for your help.

OTG

BTW: Got a new set of wiper blades on Ebay for $50. Sure beats $100+ from some other folks.

Posted on: 2011/11/27 10:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 windshield wiper cable
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Why not take the easy way out and pick up a new 415510 assembly at your friendly local Packard Dealer? Parts department here shows one in inventory at 23.50 plus 5.23 shipping. Doesn't look to me like the cable can be replaced independently...

Attach file:

jpg  (95.35 KB)
439_4ed27d0066d25.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2011/11/27 10:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't vouch that all were made the same way but one I took apart had a steel sleeve crimped in the middle of the cable--similar to the pieces which are crimped to the ends and attach to the center drive wheel. That middle sleeve fit into a depression on the wheel at wiper shaft end and was staked in place. The cable wrapped around the shaft a full circle plus a bit. After cable was attached, it appeared that wheel assy was inserted into the housing and then shaft pressed on. I do not know if yours is the same but if so, wouldn't hold my breath on a repair. It might be possible to drive the shaft out to disassemble and make repairs but other than the satisfaction, probably better off buying flackmasters new one. Here is a crude drawing for illustration. 1948 Service Counselor Vol22 #10 has instructions for adjustment to avoid cable problems and breakage.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.63 KB)
209_4ed25fc5ece76.jpg 730X603 px

Posted on: 2011/11/27 11:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50packardkid
See User information
otgdy,

If you need new wiper blades (Classic 33-111 for a 1950 Packard DeLuxe 8) Advanced Auto (SKU # 5070414)has them for $16.55 with tax. They look the same as the original. I don't know if you can return stuff from ebay though.

Hope it helps,
Jason

Posted on: 2011/11/27 15:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Thank you for the info.

I would like very much to purchase the one pictured.
Do I have to ask who the most favorite Packard parts dealer is?

OTG

Posted on: 2011/11/28 6:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Direct email to the Parts Department is flackmaster at sbcglobal dot net.

Posted on: 2011/11/28 8:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I had the same problem with my wiper cable. The cable was broken about the middle of the cable, so if spliced, the aluminum nut used to make the splice would not interfere with the cable movement. I went to Ace hardware and bought
a cable repair kit. So far it works fine. Since then I have purchased replacement wiper assemblies when they become available on ebay at a reasonable cost

Posted on: 2012/1/13 17:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Wouldn't say I am behind on my projects but I just tried to install the wiper unit with the cables and...

The cables are about a foot too long. Is there a right and left side unit or am I missing something ?
I took pictures of the area before removing the old unit and it appears I have the new one installed correctly.

Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2012/4/11 7:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Hmmm....mystery to me, other than to note that yes, there is a right and left unit, your posting noted right side, which is indeed 415510 (left side is 415511) and the part itself is stamped with an R designation?

Posted on: 2012/4/11 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Any possibility that it's a unit for a 22nd series? The motor location was over more to the driver's (L/H) side of the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.09 KB)
188_4f859e12bf9aa.jpg 720X547 px

Posted on: 2012/4/11 10:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved