Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 139 140 141 (142) 143 144 145 ... 259 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
You must have been a very good boy for the Packard Parts Elf to have been so generous!

Posted on: 2012/1/3 11:31
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Back on the horse again today......

A lot garage clean up was needed, everything was coated in heavy layer of sanding dust. So got everything cleaned up pretty well, and then back to work on the car.

Did the some metal finishing on the rear bumper splash pans. The were pretty buggered when I got the car from a rear end hit. I roughed them out awhile back, but did all the finish work today. Also they were heavily rust pitted when I found the car. All the rust was removed last year, but still needed to be filled. So a skim coat of Evercoat thin glazing filler took care of them.

Off to Portland in the morning, so no more work till next weekend.

Also the Packard Parts Elf left sent me a couple of presents over the holiday. First a working, Packard branded, hand held trouble light. Just needs a new cord to be presentable.

Next a '56 Twin-Ullta (aluminum case) out of a '56 Clipper Deluxe (non-PB). This I need to meet the guy coming down from Northern Calif with it on Saturday in Pasadena to make the transfer. He doesn't know the history on the transmission, but it is coming out of a car that has a motor missing a core plug. So I am hoping the car was parked because of engine problems, and the tranny is still in good shape. I guess I will find out soon enough. The plan is to swap the bell housing on it with the one from my '54 Gear tranny so it will mount to the year of my 328 S8. Ross consulted for any other tweaks needed.

There just happens to be another Packard spotlight on Ebay right now

Posted on: 2012/1/4 8:50
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Transmission retrieved. Looks like this was a transmission from a '56 PB car. Aluminum cased with PB motor attached to the selector shaft. Looks like it was originally painted metallic green.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.60 KB)
1_4f08d65ad9339.jpg 1280X760 px

jpg  (65.10 KB)
1_4f08d66b7256a.jpg 1280X760 px

jpg  (73.09 KB)
1_4f08d67a7cbd7.jpg 1280X760 px

Posted on: 2012/1/7 18:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like it has been exposed to weather and already been opened. Hopefully bushing surfaces polish up and all is well in the converter. With luck balance marks were made before it was opened.

Too bad that green paint is missing and weathered. I'd bet it is the 56 green that none of the vendors have because no new pieces to match seem to be available.

Posted on: 2012/1/7 18:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The tranny and the engine were separated and stored outside under a tarp for awhile. But the convertor was left on the back of the motor cause it was stuck on there. The "T" bolts are missing from the convertor as when the convertor was stuck, the gentlemen started to disassemble the convertor it thinking that was how it was removed from the engine. But I called and stopped him before he got the two halves apart. The is a large "3" stamped into the convertor across the seam of the two halves, which I believe is factory. So it is at least together in the correct orientation.

I need to chat with Ross, but I believe I will actually need to reuse the bellhousing and convertor from my '54 GS to make this '56 Twin work with straight eight. I also have to use the pan from my '54 to keep the dipstick in the correct location.

Posted on: 2012/1/7 19:06
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's good news on the converter. Ross has the answers but I believe the input shaft and all attached to it in the converter will be an issue in trying to interchange. I posted some pictures on someone's thread earlier of the difference but 56 has fine splines and start closer to nose of input shaft. 54-5 has wide splines and start about twice the distance from front as 56.

I wonder if 54 cranks have the large pilot opening for that style converter or how much difference there is in that area with regular ultras and gear starts.. If you can get by with just changing bellhousing, it would be nice to keep all else together for the improvements.

Was it a hardtop Clipper it came off of? That is another difference between TUs. There were two converter stall speeds in 56. For some reason --maybe a sporty image -- they put the same as used on the Caribbean on the HTs so must have been the peppier of the two.

Posted on: 2012/1/7 19:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
If you rebuild, remember my blog buddy!

Posted on: 2012/1/7 20:18
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Hey Kev, congrats on the light and tranny. You will need to use all of it excepting your bell housing and pan. The convertor will install on your crank and flywheel with no probs. I would treat it as if my worst enemy had worked on it before me. It will well repay you to go through it carefully with an eye on:
..pivot shafts for the band operating toggles
..all bushing clearances, especially the front pump
..high range clutch seal
..high range clutch disks
..hard as glass direct clutch disk
..frozen reactor clutch
..you get the idea

There is a good chance you will want to shorten the low-high shift spring as I mentioned in some ancient post. This has proven so satisfactory in my Packup. That will lower the low-high shift about 5 mph and make it fit with the revving characteristics of the S8 much better. Happy to discuss all this with you in March.

Was thinking of holding something like "Packard Camp" at my place for 3 days or so in May or June. Rebuild things, drive Packards at high speed on country roads, eat too much, etc. Thinking 3-4 motivated folks. Interest?

Posted on: 2012/1/7 23:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross,

Thanks for the info. So sounds like I can continue to flog the '54 GS, while I bench rebuild the '56 unit. Looks like I will start end up at least buying a gasket kit so I can pull it apart and inspect, and possible go through the entire darn thing as I don't want to have to go back in again.

"'In for a penny, in for a pound"

Posted on: 2012/1/8 0:05
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe greeen on my 56 Executive T'ultra appears to be the same as on the engine.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 9:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 139 140 141 (142) 143 144 145 ... 259 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved