Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hood Emblem
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rhlevine
See User information
This is my first try at this so I'll make this question simple. My family just shocked me with a 1952 Packard 300 4-door sedan as a birthday present. It needs a good bit of work but I'll hold off on that stuff until I am more familiar with this process. So..... question for today- Is the hood ornament a swan, cormorant or ......... ?

rhlevine

Posted on: 2012/4/26 18:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Hood Emblem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome, Congratulations and Happy Birthday. I think that is one of those questions liable to get many opinions. It has been called a Swan, Cormorant, Pelican & probably others. The Packard Club official publications are The Cormorant and The Cormorant News Bulletin if that helps any.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 18:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The Cormorant is a dirty black bird, BUT its name sounds more elegant than a Pelican. On the Packard coat-of-arms the bird is described as "a Pelican in her piety". I personally always thought it was a swan because of the graceful rendering of it as a beautiful hood ornament.
Whatever you want to call it, it remains a signature symbol of Packard. It's your car and your ornament. Use whichever name you like best.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
The question of the "bird" ornament hangs more on whether the image is SUPPOSED to be a cormorant or a pelican. They are NOT the same bird. If it is a cormorant, it is this bird here. There are 36 species of these around the world, so shapes and coloring can vary.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.48 KB)
917_4f99f059e72bb.jpg 425X322 px

jpg  (4.29 KB)
917_4f99f093a0ee2.jpg 275X200 px

Posted on: 2012/4/26 20:07
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
The pelican is a bird of quite a different feather. Pity the poor pelican...

Attach file:

jpg  (32.01 KB)
917_4f99f1b915b90.jpg 400X600 px

Posted on: 2012/4/26 20:09
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day rhlevine,
and Congratulations too, a Packard as a present, wish my family would do the same for me! Keep asking questions, plenty of experienced and knowledgeable Packard people here who are willing to help. And, I invite you to include your '52 300 Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 21:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I would say that the cormorant is a much better looking bird than a pelican. I live in South Florida, and we have both here. As 55PackardGuy said, there are many varieties, and some are fairly good looking. In the lake behind my property, you will often see a cormorant perched on the irrigation intake float, drying it's wings after diving for it's dinner of bluegill.

However, the intake float just happens to be a plastic Canada goose, as is common in these developments down here that use lakes for lawn irrigation.

If you go to the recent thread, "Altered hood ornament, was this popular back then?" you can imagine the possibilities that raced through my mind.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 23:05
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Here it is.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.55 KB)
4371_4f9c3899c84ce.jpg 800X648 px

Posted on: 2012/4/28 13:35
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
joeyearl,

Creative solution for Packard hoods everywhere. (BTW Do those two mate and create plastic albatrosses?)

Why don't you float a Pelican decoy down there and get another shot. End the confustion!! It's a Pelican AND a Cormorant! Could change the coat of arms even without a pic. Someone want to photoshop that and send it to "The Cormorant"?

From,

The Society for Putting Things On Top of Other Things.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 10:54
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I think I'll create a float with a pelican sitting on a swan. Then let the cormorant do his thing.

It's a good thing the Packard family wasn't from Florida- we might all have pink flamingoes on our hoods!

Posted on: 2012/4/30 12:44
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved