Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
262 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 260

Bob J, packardsix1939, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Concourse d' elegance at Royal Palace Het Loo in the Netherlands
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Funny name for a concourse isn't it? But this Dutch concourse is very serious and probably the main event on the national show list for classic cars. Compare it to a scaled down Pebble Beach in the gardens of one of our royal palaces.

My car is a rat sled Clipper Deluxe (1954) and I could not believe my eyes when I saw the mail inviting me to participate in this high class concourse. Think of it: together with some other cars like mine it is a serious contender for the national prize and theoretically even the international prize.

A very interesting move from the organization to establish a class for unrestored and rat cars: Masterpieces survived. It shows that very slowly the rat and unrestored trend is being taken seriously in Europe.

I will keep you posted on how things worked out for the Clipper. Very curious about the amount of interest in the class. Hopefully the weather will cooperate because summer is developing badly this year.

Attach file:

jpg  (237.59 KB)
3515_4fdb59b36c743.jpg 1378X919 px

jpg  (82.24 KB)
3515_4fdb5af0494d2.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2012/6/15 10:50
All the best from Holland!
Hans

Clipper Deluxe Touring sedan 1954
 Top  Print   

Re: Concourse d' elegance at Royal Palace Het Loo in the Netherlands
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i enjoy your car immensely!

Posted on: 2012/6/15 11:02
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Congratulations on attending the event with your 54 Clipper and thanks for the picture.

Unrestored cars have properly been getting a lot more respect and appreciation within the last 10 years or so here, The Packard Club (PAC), AACA, and CCCA all have classes for participation by unrestored cars.

I see you're from The Netherlands, a country I've always enjoyed and seem to find myself at rather frequently, usually starting or ending a cruise on Holland American Line at either Rotterdam or Amsterdam. Last time in Rotterdam I had the pleasure of spending a night on the old ss Rotterdam, now a floating hotel in the city. Also spent a night in the Hotel New York, the old Holland America headquarters at Wilhelminakada.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 11:12
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Thanks!
You're probabably better informed on the cruise ship situation than the average Dutchman I suppose. I live in a town about 40 miles south of Rotterdam. But in Holland -compared to the distances in USA- everything is close, you can travel from north to south in about 4 hours and from east to west in 3 I guess.

Have a nice weekend!

Posted on: 2012/6/15 11:50
Hans

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Thank you, I appreciate it very much. I love the car, by the way it is exactly my age: september 1954. They always tell me that was a good year and I tend to believe it.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 11:52
Hans

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
8 hours in any direction..you are still in Texas. LOL

Posted on: 2012/6/15 12:04
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
You are right about that Henry...LOL

Hans, that is an amazing looking car! Love the way the clear coat brings out the gradient of color.

Good Job,

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/6/15 12:19
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
GearRat52 wrote:...Hans, that is an amazing looking car! Love the way the clear coat brings out the gradient of color...

BigKev's reference, in another thread, to "Patina Cowboys" stretches all the way to The Netherlands!

Posted on: 2012/6/15 17:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Thanks for the reactions guys.
The clearcoat is actual a preservation product originally developed for marine applications. It is called OWATROL, as a matter of fact I rubbed a fresh coat on the car only yesterday, with a piece of cloth. Very satisfying when you see the colours on the car -including rust- gaining depth. And it presents an A1 protection against further deterioration as the Dutch climate is very different from the car's original Californian sunshine.

This will my the only preparation for the show, apart from a little vacuum cleaning and checking the fluids. Other contesters are probably polishing themselves mindless by now, LOL! This is such an easy car...

Attach file:

jpg  (114.66 KB)
3515_4fdec2693c504.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (92.54 KB)
3515_4fdec297d9052.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (41.35 KB)
3515_4fdec2ce816d2.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (74.01 KB)
3515_4fdec365567ed.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/6/18 0:52
Hans

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
The Concourse last saturday and sunday was great. Except for the weather, which was terrible on sunday. The Clipper participated in the class of 'Masterpieces survived' and really had some serious and historically interesting competition. One of them was a Fiat Tipo 5 from 1913 in unrestored condition. Found in the vicinity of St. Petersburg in Russia. Former owner of this car was Pjotr Wrangel, a commander of the White Russian Army during the Russian Civil War(1917 - 1922). Present owner Jan Bruin from the Netherlands suspects it was a present from King Alexander I of Yuogoslavia. Both gentlemen studied at the military academy of in St. Petersburg.

Another unrestored car in my class was a Regal 25hp Underslung from 1912. I did not know the marque, but found out that it was a car manufacturer in Detroit.

To cut a long story short, the Clipper did not win its class, but I did not expect it would. On the other hand the visitors loved the car and it raised a lot of interest and will appear on national Dutch television. One of the concourse visitors told me that "there is a lot beautiful cars on the palace grounds, but this Clipper stole my heart!"

What can you want more?

Attach file:

jpg  (20.97 KB)
3515_4fe9ab0e101f9.jpg 450X271 px

Posted on: 2012/6/26 7:31
Hans

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved