Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1947 Clipper 2dr. ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'm no expert on these cars, but the only obvious thing I found was specific interior upholstery for the Custom Six (2010) chassis - offered in a single two-tone color combination. That was in the front matter (Intro section) of the 41-47 Clipper parts book.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 11:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
So not having any data plate on cowl its going to be hard to identify this car as a special or custom.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 11:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
Come to think of it once you see what we have done to the car it's not going to matter.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 11:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Loui,

If yours looks like Crotomac's then it's definitely a Clipper. As to exactly what, when you say "not having any data plate on cowl its going to be hard to identify this car as a special or custom" is right, but if possible we'd like to get it right. Even after you said "once you see what we have done to the car it's not going to matter" it still matters to try and properly identify it. Pictures will help, especially of the detail difference that BH mentioned in Post #11. If you still have the upholstery that came with the Clipper and is a single two-tone color combination(or not) that will help narrow it down.
Brian, for tabulating the '42 models in Post #9, and apologies, it's now obvious in my haste I missed the Clippers! Your advice that "The word 'Clipper' then gets lost in some awkward naming conventions." is a nice way of putting it! Meanwhile, I'll await confirmation of the naming conventions and undertake any massaging once agreement is reached.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 13:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I sent a copy of the 1942 dealer information booklet to Big Kev last fall but it didn't get put on the website. Have just re-sent it as a reminder.

The booklet has a lot of details for equipment that was supplied with the various models.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 14:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"I sent a copy of the 1942 dealer information booklet to Big Kev.....The booklet has a lot of details for equipment that was supplied with the various models"
Brian,

Thanks, could be another piece of the puzzle and help to shed some light on things.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 14:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
The interior had tan cloth seat tops and backs with a lighter pinstripe with 1/2 inch spacing. The lower vertical sections were approx. 6 inch chestnut coloured vinyl. Door pads were same as the tan seats. Lower door pads were too rough to identify material. The garnish mouldings and dash were a greyish/brown woodgrain -(strange colour).

Posted on: 2014/2/2 15:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
Having trouble uploading the picture on my archaic dial-up computer system. Please let me know if you receive it and are able to download. This is how we found the car on the day we brought it home, January 2013.

Attach file:

jpg  (88.78 KB)
40258_52eebd7ba8735.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/2/2 16:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Loui wrote:
The interior had tan cloth seat tops and backs with a lighter pinstripe with 1/2 inch spacing. The lower vertical sections were approx. 6 inch chestnut coloured vinyl. Door pads were same as the tan seats. Lower door pads were too rough to identify material. The garnish mouldings and dash were a greyish/brown woodgrain -(strange colour).

The brown colored vinyl on the seats would indicate a Clipper Special which would be body model 1585 for the 6 cylinder Club Sedan. The Custom models used a blue-gray vinyl.
Another clue is the lack of trim on the front fenders. The Custom models had trim strips that extended from the outside edge of the side grilles and wrapped around the front of the fenders.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 23:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

Thanks for your input. Accordingly I have 'massaged' Loui's Registry entry description and added the photo he included.

I've also updated the descriptions for the two other 1585 Club Coupes in the Registry.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 2:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved