Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Recommended oil for a 352 (56 Super)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Shell Rotella T4 10W-30 should work fine in your application. It's a diesel oil which doesn't have the tight restrictions on the ZDDP of the modern oils sold for gasoline engines. It's a lot less expensive than the specialty oils and will work just as well.

Posted on: 2022/9/22 20:36
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
I ran Rotella T4 10w-30 for years in my old cars. I think it's a perfectly good oil that will do everything you need it to. Samples that I sent off tested at something like 1000 ppm of zinc and 800 ppm of phosphorus.

I consider AMSOIL Z-Rod superior. I switched to it after Rotella became expensive and hard to find.

If synthetic oil is scary to you, then I recommend Penngrade 1 (formerly Brad Penn).

10w-30 is perfect for year-round use in most climates in the United States. Show cars that are only driven in the south in summer can use 10w-40 or 20w-40, but I wouldn't use anything thicker than that. Using thick oil to raise oil pressure is focusing too much on a number on a gauge and not on what the oil actually does in the engine.

Posted on: 2022/9/23 2:40
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Modern cars do the same thing. 10w-30 is not to imply that oil viscosity is constant. It means the viscosity when cold is equivalent to a 10 weight oil and when hot a 30 weight oil. The 10 weight oil cold has a higher viscosity than a 30 weight oil hot.

The rule of thumb is minimum 10 psi per 1000 rpm oil pressure. With the standard ratio the motor is turning around 2,500 rpm at 60 mph.

Posted on: 2022/9/23 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Some years ago I was selling my 1939 Cadillac 60 Special. These cars had the 346 cu. in. L-head V-8s. The car burned a lot of oil. To mitigate this high use I used a 20W-50 engine oil. One of the potential buyers had a Cadillac expert come and inspect the car for him. He lived out of the area. The inspector was an engine engineer for Caterpillar. He said using the heavy weight oil was a bad idea. He said the engine was not designed for such heavy viscosity oil. The problem was the effort the oil pump needed to circulate the oil. It put too much strain on components. Also, he said it would not cure the oil burning problem. This was due to worn rings. He also said it would not cure low oil pressure. Although, there was no problem with this. He was right. Reading Tim Cole's comments brought it all back. You can't fix problems without parts.

Posted on: 2022/9/23 11:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved