Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 243

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: World tours??
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
sanford, thanks for your encouraging words. If you want to get an idea of what it would be like to drive around the world in an old Packard read "Prince Borghese's Trail - 10,000 miles over two continents, four deserts, and the roof of the world in the Peking to Paris Motor Challenge" by the late Genevieve Obert. It will help you to prepare for the journey. You may want to take a service vehicle with you (a Packard truck?). Do you know how to ride a horse? Go for it!

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/1/11 11:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
It appears that Godfrey Berry my good freind and Hudson buff wants to join me on this epic journey. He is current editor of the Piston Ring Club, South Africa's largest club with over 2,000 members

sooo..i guess the contacts are slowly coming into order.

Love the idea of this trip you would like to do - why don't you ship your car out here along with another, maybe we can locate a Hudson Hornet and I will share the cost or Bill could share his container with you - I also know other guys who do import - we could speak to them too. The trip from here to Niarobi is still done quite regulaly and I could put you in touch with a really great guy who has already been on the trip a few times - apparenly the scenery is to die for but the infrastructure is pathetic.

My suggestion is to spend your time discovering SAfica again

- I would personally be very interested in going along as there are many places I have not seen. One thing I would be very keen to do is take a trip to SWA Namibia - this would be an extremely wonderful experience for you and we could do it at Oktoberfest ..............if this doesn't entice you ........then nothing will!.

Just say the word!.........Luderitz........Kolmanskop...........Swakopmund..........Windhoek.........Etosha.........Namibian Desert.......Kuiseb........Oshakati.....Ondongwa.........Rheheboth........Grootfontein..........

Also, If you thought SA hospitality was excellent .......you haven't experienced the fine art of hospitality - [u]SWA Namibia style.

Remember me sending you the Peking to Paris - this could also be the experience of a lifetime and you could meet up with a really great SA competitor Detlev Borner.

Not sure whether entries are closed yet!.
See ya chappie
Godfrey

Posted on: 2010/1/20 13:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here are some folks going around the world on 70 year old motysickles:

http://www.kccd.no/home_en.html

They are from over there in Guschas part of the world.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 22:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Guscha. Do u know them????

Posted on: 2010/1/21 8:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"... tour around the earth with an old car but without golden credit card is doomed to failure."

True for most people i suppose. However, there are those that were born in rooms with open windows, filled with wind lace and paper roses and do not always follow a tour that takes checks or plastic anyway.

Posted on: 2010/1/21 10:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's a pix of Team Finland's car which participated (and finished) in a recent Peking to Paris race. The driver was Martti Kiikka. I can get a bit more information if of interest, a friend here in NJ who regularly supplies Packard parts to Scandanavia was involved in some of the preparations.

Uncertain of the added tank on the side, perhaps fuel or water? I understand the suspension of the car was significantly strengthened for the trip.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.98 KB)
177_4b5894b72e7fd.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2010/1/21 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm wondering if the tank is just mounted on the running board or permanently attached to the car body. A tank on EACH side????

Posted on: 2010/1/21 13:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you Google "Peking to Paris" you'll get some interesting history on the original race. The event that the 38 120 pictured above ran in, as car #86, was the 2007 running. An early Packard Twin Six also participated in that event.

If you're interested in this type of touring, I suggest you visithttp://www.endurorally.com/ for history of past world tours, and info on future planned events.

Courtesy of that website, here's a picture of #86 enroute, and if you enlarge or look closely it answers PackardV8s question about another tank.

PS - for you guys "down under", I see a 1958 Holden was also a participant. The number of prewar participating cars is noteworthy, some even pre-WW I.

Attach file:

jpg  (2.52 KB)
177_4b589d5027f00.jpg 119X79 px

Posted on: 2010/1/21 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Our dreams

Evening Bro's!!!

It is quiet tonight in Lake Wales Florida as I contemplate my own dreams...hmmm. We are staying with our neighbors who live in one of these so called 'gated communities' for retiree's...I find it totally boring...Now don't get me wrong, for some this is their idea of retirement living in double wides doing daily walks, going to excercise classes etc. Oh yes, i've been to the shuffle board courts, engaging in card games such as bridge, euchre and pinnocle.
But it is NOT the same as being with your friends in the old car movement,.,Now dont get me wrong, the folks are pleasant and very nice..but this just doesn't fit my lifestyle.

My Dad who is now deceased concurred with me..He said "I want to be sujrrounded by my children, to hear the sound of babies crying. or to be with his grandaughters and sons fishing.
Perhaps he is right in that regards..a continuation of the celebration of life even as we age.

but anyway' today I called on an old friend that lives in this community whom i havent seen in 30 years. A Weeb and Mary Austin of Salamanca NY. He is now in his late 70's He has been through a bout of brain cancer and now heart issues and in a rehabilitaion center in Winterhaven area.

Weber owned a newpaper called the Salamanca Press founded by his great great gradfather in 1867, Weeb is a 'pure gentleman.

In 1984 Dee and I decided to take a windjammer cruise off the coast of Maine on a schooner called the "Issac Evans' out of Rockland MaINE Both Weeb and Mary were passengers whom we met. To cut a long story short, on the third day out we were hit with a squall while tacking rsulting in a complete knockdown and sinking of the vesssel in the Atlantic. All 19 passengers and a crew of four floated in the friged 'reach' for over an hour. Helicopters were dispatched from Boston
but we were saved by the local residents in the traditional Mainer or Downeaster style which they are noted for.

Today Weeb and I talked about that day. He said it changed his life...shortly after the accident he said he sold his interest in the newspaper and embarked on fullfilling his life long dream. He and Mary purchased a Grampian 28 sailboat and sailed upp the St. Lawrence Seaway and down along the eastern coast of the US via the Inter Coastal water way. The journey was a casual one and they took a year. This was his dream which he full filled.

I then told him of mine.... a world tour in my vintage Packard. or at least a partial world tour of Europe Africa and Oz.

I then indicated that maybe I'm perhasps a bit old to embark on such a venture at 61, He sat up slowly in his bed and said....So what?? Age should have nothing to do with it if your in bascially good health.. He said " many people in life have dreams but are afraid to take the initiative to fullfill those dreams...."

ON Sunday, we will be heading over to the Tampa Bay area to stay with my wife's sister. There are several auto museums which i plan on visiting along with walking the beach and surf which i love. I do know there is a Packard chapter in the Tampa Sarasota area..and I try and contact a few of the members

Posted on: 2010/1/21 21:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
sanford wrote:..... a world tour in my vintage Packard. or at least a partial world tour of Europe Africa and Oz.....
Sandy,

Looking forward to the Oz leg of your tour. There will be plenty of support available in the form of Packards, people and, ... ahem, dare I say it... mechanical assistance if required, as you continue your journey. Once you have firmer ideas about a proposed itinerary please let me know. I would be glad to accompany you, in my '41 Coupe, on at least part of your "Tour Down-under".

Posted on: 2010/1/22 0:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved