Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

DJP-37-120, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1955 400 Manual Transmission Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Josh, the pre-1955 Packards used a different kind of shift linkage than the V-8s. What you are seeing on your grandfather's 1952-53 is different than on the 1955-56s. The V-8 manual shift transmission and shift linkage is similar to and contemporary with what was used on many other makes during this period. I believe the 55-56 manual shift transmission is a Borg Warner unit that was used in many FoMoCo applications. The earlier Packards used Packard designed and built transmissions. You may want to get the 1955-56 Packard Parts Manual to familiarize yourself with the installation. I believe it is on this site and you can download the sections you need. Let us know how this job goes.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/3 12:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
The drive shafts are different beween ultramatic and standard or at least the u joints are. I did a mass swap out on my conversion. Had the rear end rebuilt and swapped it out, swapped drive shaft and had it rebuilt and balanced using new type u joints with zerk fittings, had the friction plate relined, rebuilt the pressure plate, new throw out bearing etc. Even swapped out the shift quadrant on the dash to the dummy plate used on the od trans. I suggest you use the 11 inch clutch used in the Custom or 400 as compared to the 10 1/2 used in the Super and Delux.
Since you have a 400, the extra 1/2 might be a good idea.
I was lucky, my donor was a Custom. I have the 372 56 engine in my Panama.

The conversion went pretty smooth. Only glitch was I was missing some linkage which I made from threaded rods. It was a very worth while conversion.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 13:02
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

WilliamCraig
See User information
I have a '56 Clipper parts car with 3 speed, no overdrive. I also have the driveshaft for a senior car needs u-joints but everything you would need for a conversion. Also have spare tranny. I had planned to convert a '56 Patrician but health issues have come up. I'll be having surgery tomorrow but if you are interested, we can talk soon.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 14:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
WilliamCraig wrote:......I'll be having surgery tomorrow.........
WilliamCraig,

All the best for your surgery and a quick recovery.
And for including your '56 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry

Posted on: 2010/8/3 16:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

WilliamCraig
See User information
The '56 juniors used the same (3.54) ratio for plain 3-speed or O/D, same as the '55 and'56 senior TU.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 16:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
WilliamCraig,
They're coming thick and fast! also for including your '56 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan parts car and '56 Patrician Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 16:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Nelson
See User information
WilliamCraig, thanks for the info. Pm sent.
I will be working on the car again tomorrow. I want to get pictures of it with the heads off. Next week I'll work on getting it added to the registry.
I'll have to ask grandpa about its history. I do not think that it was owned by anyone famous, but you never know.
Three intake valves are bad. The heads need cleaned and the valves re-seated, but they are pretty good overall. Purchased all new gaskets and a new timing chain/sprocket set. I hope to get the engine all back together and running before winter, but things are really busy.
If all goes as planned, I may have a TU unit for sale. Grandpa says it works fine (he drove the car into his barn some 30 years ago), but its current condition is unknown.
Josh

Posted on: 2010/8/4 1:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2010/8/7 6:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I used to be a member of the anti-automatic crowd until I took factory authorized transmission training. Today I only prefer a manual shift in older vehicles using a good old American three speed or where the transmission is a total slushbox.

I have driven an unusually good ultramatic that was working properly and thought it compared favorably to the same era Powerglide. It had no trouble pulling a 1932 Cadillac V-12 up a steep hill.

However, a good TU isn't a slouch. In fact, if the numbers I have are correct, the TU is a little over one second slower to 60mph and in the quarter mile than the 61 Chevy with 348ci and Turboglide.

Granted the Ultramatic requires a knowledgable rebuilder, but for performance the 727 TorqueFlite will outperform a standard shift even when being handled by a professional. This is not dogma but based on the results of Michigan and California State Police training course testing.

Posted on: 2010/8/7 17:06
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Nelson
See User information
Tim, I know ghat the Ultramatic was a great transmission--possibly the best of it's time. Still, I prefer a manual. At's just a preference.
WilliamCraig, what is the best way to get in touch with you?

Posted on: 2010/8/8 20:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved