Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Correct orientation of transmission front bearing
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
See factory service manuals.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 11:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
JEEeezz Fred,
I've learned a lot from you..... but..... more often than not, you use your "bully pulpit" to advise, disagree, and opinionate, etc. Your information, insight, clear thought process is of value to all us, yet that's not the issue, it's how you SAY IT, not what you say. Offered with all due respect, Fred.

Regards, Steve Fisher

Posted on: 2011/7/31 13:45
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Steve beat me to it. As I have said all along, it not the information of your posts that is the problem, it is the delivery.

Nothing wrong with suppling just the information in a friendly manner. When it accompanied with comments to make folks feel like idiots, then that is where I have a problem. This is starting to sound like a broken record.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 14:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"for the installer to remove shields if/when required. Accordingly...just what is the proper orientation of the shield(s)?"

IS it a sheild or a SEAL???? Some bearings have a SEAL (not to be confused with a shield) on either BOTH or just one side. Such bearings with a SEAL on both sides have grease in the bearing from the factory.

From post 1 of this thread a SHIELD is mentioned. What we do not know here is whether or not the SHIELD is a SEPERATE part from the bearing or if it is part of the bearing itself.

The service manual is irrelevant unless NOS or NORS or OEM bearings are used. THere could be variations in modern rplacement bearing configurations.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 14:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Let me try again

1.Has anyone else made this observation?

Yes I have observed the orientation of the bearing in the service manual

2. Has anyone had a failure?

Yes I have replaced dozens of worn/failed bearings on high mileage Packrd transmissions

3 Has anyone else swapped the shield to the outside?

I cannot do this, there is a groove with a snap ring on the outer race that determines the orientation of the bearing

Just the facts. Is this more helpful?? When one thinks of another problem will this information transfer and help on the next one?

Posted on: 2011/7/31 16:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
...as will I. The bearing number referenced is the current modern number. I noted in my parts book that yes, the bearing can be ordered with the shield on either side, but the bearing houses usually stock the bearing with shields (NOT seals, it is NOT a sealed bearing) on both sides. Just remove whichever shield you don't need and you are off to the races...
I find this string interesting because of the published technical article re-thinking the OEM position of the shield. I have not read the noted article, (1282 - maybe you can scan to add to this thread) nor have I researched whether it was well received when published, however, it did raise a question then, and especially now with this website/forum, it would be worth revisiting whether the author/poster has a point worthy of note, or the experienced masses can confirm the original design/shield position should be just that.
That way, when the next guy has his transmission scattered over the bench and gets a bearing with shields on both sides, he, or she, will be able to reference this post and know the proper position of the shields.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 17:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
If an interested person were to pick up a bearing catalog from their bearing supply house they will find that there is a section in it that explains the construction of the various bearings and the recommended uses of them.

Rather then scan or copy the copyrighted pages I found thru a simple web search an explanation of shielded and sealed bearings that is simple enough that even a highly trained engineer should be able to understand.

http://www.wwdmag.com/how-grease-lubricated-bearings-function-article4043

John

Posted on: 2011/8/1 10:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
snopack, thanks for finding and posting that link. Well worth reading and saving for future reference.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 11:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
This is not an opinion only information, readers may draw their own conclusion.

I examined the following factory service manuals form the appropriate period and found that the bearing in the front of the trans case had either an integral shield or a separate shield oriented to the rear.

I would estimate that there were over 50,000,000 vehicles manufactured like this .. I did not find any with the shield in any other orientation.

Cadillac
\Buick
OLds
Pontiac
Ford
Lincln
Mercury
Chevrolet
Packard

Posted on: 2011/8/1 14:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...To think that Packard was wrong and did not ever discover it from '35b to 60?? when the Service Counselors stopped is riduculous to say the least...

Pat(39SixSedanMan), thanks for the good question! Ask a man who owns one - sounds familiar, doesn't it? Being critical means not just accepting what you read as right or as the only way to think about an idea. If engineers like you would consider themselves too good for asking questions, how could we drive such wonderful cars such as

Cadillac
\Buick
OLds
Pontiac
Ford
Lincln
Mercury
Chevrolet
Packard.

Quote:
...Just remove whichever shield you don't need and you are off to the races...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K8wYATj-UlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2011/8/2 2:55
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved