Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
272 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 270

packardsix1939, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Buy or Stay away? - 55 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I have to disagree with su8overdrive.I have seen many low mileage original post war Packards (46-54) and the build quality is excellent if not better then GM and Ford. He is right about those post war Chryslers.They are truly well built machines.The 55 56 Packards are a different story but that was more a product of where they were built (Connor ave vs East Grand Blvd)

Posted on: 2012/6/22 11:13
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan A
See User information
Much appreciate the words of wisdom and especially about the dangers to be aware of. I've been calling around and believe for a good price I can get the entire interior cleaned out and disinfected.
Now to work the price and logistics.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
PatGreen's sooo right about the '56 Patrician with Torsion-Level compared with the wallowing '60s Cadillac. I rode in a '55 or '56 Patrician with Torson-Level and the firm, steady, serene ride was impressive. Packard issued a promo film showing such a new Torsion-Level Patrician gliding over a railroad crossing at 35 or 40mph nonplussed, while the new Cadillac and Lincoln bottomed out, sparks coming from one of their rear bumpers as they grated on the pavement.

However, the Patrician i rode in was a low-mileage, always garaged, mint California car back in 1977, only 21 or 22 pampered years old, not a rodent infested, abandoned projectcar.

It's testament to the character of the gentlemen on this site that all the above have given Dangermiller "level" advice and not the usual clubbie rah-rah and misery loves company palaver.

Aside from the usual plating, there's a lotta anodized trim on such cars, and that can be expensive to redo, assuming you can find a shop that knows what they're doing.
And the interior's going to be expensive.

Admittedly, i'm a prewar Packard guy, and if i somehow had to have a '50s barouche, i'd domestically go with the aforementioned Chryslers or a 1951-54 Packard w/ stick & OD, or one of the Jag-ue-were Mark saloons. The latter's Borg Warner automatics aren't as readily rebuildable or troublefree as a Torqueflite or HydraMatic, but less grief than a Twin Ultramtic. Those formal Jags have their issues, but aren't quite the money pits as a Packard V-8 with Twin Ultramatic.

Packard could've avoided much Torsion-Level trouble simply by fitting a better tin cover over the control unit, but the Company's desperate plight on crowded Conner Avenue has been told many times before.

Be prepared, too, to embark on various other electro-mechanical upgrades as described in Packard Club articles, etc. over the decades. But perhaps, like my 1936-37 Cord friends, you thrive on challenges.

However, if there's something that just sings to you in a bent eight Patrician, you'll do what you do. We're all driven by
these siren songs. Just remember, even if they pay you to haul this particular car away, assuming you can find a
LOCAL Twin Ultramatic maven, you'll always be upside down in this car, not that most of us care about return on investment and all that yuppie Sports Car Market crap. Go slow,
but then, your name is DANGERMiller!

Posted on: 2012/6/22 14:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Retired medico here.....You can get what is called Haunte virus which is a negative sense RNA virus. It's found in mouse droppings. It can make you very sick and has proven fatal for some. Warm dry climates are the usual host and the virus is spread by dusting, vacuuming and exposure to the area infected. Checking with the local medico's will help to evaluate the potential for infection.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 17:47
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
The Haunte virus has hit here in the recent past and has killed some people here in Colorado. I for one consider it a serious threat. Just wanted to say be careful

Posted on: 2012/6/22 18:09
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
packardguy53 and bhappy,

Thanks for the follow-up. It is a serious matter. You can ignore it, but it will not ignore you. As they used to say on Hill Street Blues: "Be careful out there."

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/22 21:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Call me old fashioned, but based on your description, I'd run like hell from this one....I agree that wine, women and roses are all a matter of personal taste, but at some point, you look bit bizarre if your choices reflect basic masochism. Aside from location and urge, there's nothing special about this particular car that would allow you to overlook reality and the looming nightmare project it has to be?

I agree that you buy the best available, even if it means travelling a bit further or spending a bit more. In the long run, it;s a far more satisfying experience. In your case, "Let the ride decide" isn't nearly as relevant as 'Quality will be remembered long after price is forgotten'.

Posted on: 2012/6/23 4:29
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
+ 1

Posted on: 2012/6/23 21:52
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
"Ask the man who owns one"

Agree with buy the best one you can find.

Posted on: 2012/6/23 22:03
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I cleaned out the Rodent infested interior in my car while wearing a respirator.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 11:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved