Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

Ozstatman, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

Re: Easamatic Rebuild Sources
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

WILLIS wrote:
Standard brakes are very simple.

Quote:

Tobs wrote:
Haha Amen. But there is nothing to discuss!

Too true. There's not much point in doing an exhaustive investigation into something that works. Considering that over 3000 people have at least looked at this thread so far, there are many "lurkers" out there, and I hope they're getting something out of it, even if it's just a laugh!

Posted on: 2013/8/24 14:35
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The vacuum seal is not affected by pitting of the bore as it is sealed against the face of the booster cylinder with a rubber ring. I have never seen a problem there in the dozens of units I have rebuilt.

What I have seen many times is incorrect assembly. One of the last ones I did had the hydraulic seal in backwards and the remaining seal pieces pretty much installed in random order to fill up the space. I was horrified I had driven the car around the parking lot in the vicinity of other cars. Can't imagine why it worked at all. Almost none of these units are virgin at this late date, and there is a plentiful supply of negligent idiots.

The other most usual failure modes are coagulated brake fluid from long inattention, seals just plum worn out, pitted pistons helping the seals wear out, and occasionally booster problems such as too much boost or not enough.

The treadlevac on my Packup now has about 5 years and 33K miles with no end in sight. If it starts drinking it will get another kit in the hydraulic portion (just like any other master cylinder)and a quick lube of the vacuum portion. I use normal brake fluid and change it ever 2 years or so.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 19:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
5 Years and 33K miles is a good track record.
What tends to give me negative opinion about the BTV master cylinder portion is the very frequent recommendation to drain and flush the entire system. In Ross' case every 2 years which at this point seems to be a good recommendation.

However, such frequent service is NOT usual nor customary maintenance shedule for ANY OTHER mastercylinder design that i am aware of ever manjfactured between the mid 1940's to current date.

Therefore is it unreasonable to label the master cylinder portion of the BTV as requiring unusualy high maintenance relative to just about ANY OTHER master cylinder?

Posted on: 2013/8/24 21:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
3000 views?????? And then there are those who think i need to get a life???????

Posted on: 2013/8/24 21:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Glad you are high profile Keith. Living your Packard dream has helped many to include me. Thanks much.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 21:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Makes me wanna go hide. 3000 views is a pretty good indication that there are many non-Packard owners (probably most of which never owned one) are studying along with us.
HEY ALL OF U 3000 who lurk only come on and join us. Tell us YOUR BTV experiences. This BTV controversy may have started at nite bit it wasn't last nite. About 15 years ago and it has raged on. SO COME ON AND JOIN US!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/8/24 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
PackardV8 wrote:
3000 views?????? And then there are those who think i need to get a life???????

PackardV8,

Even I don't have that much incentive to look at topics that don't directly affect my own Packard trials and tribulations, but maybe this subject has some potential value for a number of people.

BTW, which one of you fellows is "Keith"? Sometimes my familiarity with people comes only from their screen names, not their first names. Maybe a few more folks could divulge their first names in their profiles?

Thanks, Ross for replying with some more excellent information from your hands-on experience. Your comments on the seal bore may prove very valuable to me. I've been wondering if there might be a product that would fill in these pits adequately without sleeving the bore?

Posted on: 2013/8/24 22:18
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
PackardV8 = Keith

As you can see, I'm one of the "lurkers".
Don't have a BTV, but read just about every post made on PackardInfo. Do I need a life?

Posted on: 2013/8/24 22:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
The brake Fluid on my 2009 car gets changed every 2 years according to the normal Service plan! I do think that is on the safe side, but every 2-3 years brake fluid should be something that gets changed. We change Oil all The time. Why not brake fluid? Prevents rust and brake fade if you boil you brakes. (When water gets in The brake Fluid, The boiling point lowers.)

Posted on: 2013/8/25 1:20
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
I have had 12 cars (all European made) during the last 50 years. ALL had changing the brake fluid (DOT3/DOT4) every second years as normal and recommended procedure.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/8/25 4:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved