Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 152

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 33 »

Re: far away from home
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Pictures can be misleading but I agree with JW (John) I think the car is a postwar 21st series long wheel base Packard also even though the car lacks the fender whiskers. It does appear to have the rear window behind the rear door found on the 21st series Henney long wheel base cars. The rear no draft on the shorter wheelbased cars were within the door frame as in the photo of the '41 you posted. Perhaps at some time the fender whiskers were removed?

Posted on: 2011/5/17 11:58

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not all models had the whiskers, though I've never been completely clear on which did and which didn't Looking at some factory photos, the 21st series Eight did not have them, the Clipper DeLuxe and Clipper Super did.

Looking at enough original factory photos and other sources of info should clarify the whisker situation

Posted on: 2011/5/17 12:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...It does appear to have the rear window behind the rear door ...

It looks to me that Canada scored a hit and the LWB confederations prize cup 2011 goes to Austin, Texas.

BTW I know for sure that our duty cineast Mal is an expert in the field of rear windows ...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1qjmo8BMVCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attach file:

jpg  (27.18 KB)
757_4dd2c2c0c408e.jpg 376X500 px

Posted on: 2011/5/17 13:47
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unless I've missed something there were no cataloged long-wheelbase Clippers in 1941 and 1942, so it has to be a 1946 or 1947 (21st series). Whether it's a 1650/1651 or a 2150/2151 (46 or 47) would have to be determined by the VN number, though the motor # or thief-proof number might also give a clue. There was only a very small overlap of thief-proof numbers between 46 and 47 so unless the number is right on the cusp, that could be definitive.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 14:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Back to the off topic of automobile museums in Germany. Sorry for the delay, but I had forgotten the name of the place and had to ask my sister (who accompanied me on that trip) to look it up in her albums. Anyway, I guess it is still there because they have a website:

http://www.fahrzeugmuseum-marxzell.de/

The woman pictured on the top of the first page with the explanation (translated to english) of "We mourn the loss of our woman director" is Klara Reichert who was our hostess when we visited in 1995. After 5pm, she closed the museum and gave us a private tour of a 2nd non-public warehouse that was literally stacked from floor to 2nd story mezzanine wall to wall with really amazing transportation items, mostly cars. Her (deceased by that time) husband had traveled the world gathering the display items. He had so much stuff that there were two warehouses full, hence our private tour into the 2nd one.

Here's a quote from an english brochure about the place:Quote:
Eight kilometers (5miles) on the road to Karsruhe, lies the vaillage of Marxzell. A group of ancient locamotive and other old machines at the side of the road announces th presence of the Fahrzeugmuseum, a wonderland for the technically minded. Every kind of early engine is represented in this museum dedicated to the German automobile pioner Karl Benz (1844-1929), the man who the Germans claim built the first practical automobile in 1888, a claim hotly disputed by the French.

We all thought it was the best auto-type museum we had visited in Germany. We had visited the D-T in Munich (mentioned in previous post) as well as the BMW and Porsche ones, so that is saying something!

Posted on: 2011/5/17 18:21
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Once upon a time there was a slot machine installed on PackardInfo.com whose first game staged Marshal Tito and his car collection. While watching the "Neue deutsche Wochenschau", a 1950s German newsreel the mentioned 22nd Custom 8 with characteristic rear window crossed my way.

picture source

1 - www.filmportal.de
2 - Neue deutsche Wochenschau 11/1953

Attach file:

jpg  (40.67 KB)
757_4e136f80310f9.jpg 500X500 px

jpg  (42.07 KB)
757_4e136f947426b.jpg 553X415 px

Posted on: 2011/7/5 15:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Up for sale in Lviv*, 1938 (Touring Sedan?), $23,700.

*Its center is an UNESCO World Heritage Site.

BTW The above showed Packard 22nd Series Custom Eight has the same rear split window arrangement like recently seen in a ZIS.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.64 KB)
757_4e445464ca79e.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (29.85 KB)
757_4e4454741a9a0.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (27.13 KB)
757_4e445481a07f1.jpg 500X376 px

Posted on: 2011/8/11 17:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Guscha wrote:Up for sale.....1938 (Touring Sedan?), .....
Gerd,

Think this is more likely to be a '39 Super Eight Touring Sedan, probably built late '38 and titled as such? Believe that '38 Super 8 bodies were same as '37 Super 8's? Need the '39 Super 8 aficionados to chime in, but from what I see the headlights with chrome trim at sides and no chrome spear on roof are '39 items. The bumpers are something else altogether(Zis/Zil?), with the lights on the rear mudguards(fenders) being from another source as well. Don't know if the rear quarter window had a winding handle? It just caught my attention. Also don't know if the rotary roof aerial is kosher.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 23:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mal, I was too impressed by the trailer hitch to note the ZIS bumpers. The main reason to show you the all too often rundown cars is to give you an impression of the Packard scene behind the language barrier. BTW What is a rotary roof?

Posted on: 2011/8/12 3:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Guscha wrote:.....the Packard scene behind the language barrier. BTW What is a rotary roof?
Gerd,

I understand the language barrier and enjoyed the "explanation" provided.

The rotary roof aerial is the radio reception antennae mounted in the centre of the roof and can be turned by a knob inside the car to lower it when clearance height is an issue. I have one on my '41. The one on the 39(?) is turned down onto the rear of the bonnet(hood).

Attach file:

jpg  (19.38 KB)
226_4e44f09d5695c.jpg 576X497 px

Posted on: 2011/8/12 4:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 33 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved