Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 19 »

Re: ANOTHER #%*!:( BTV failure
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
PRoblem #1:

Wheel cylinders "RE-sleeved" ?????
"RE-sleeving" of wheel cylinders i don't understand because OEM wheel cylinders are not sleeved to begin with. So there would be nothing to "RE-sleeve".

If they were merely just sleeved then why did u have them sleeved???? Should have been cheaper and esier just to buy new wheel cylinders.

I am wondering if the sleeves (if there really are any sleves in them) in the wheel cylinders were incorrectly installed and thus restricting brake fluid flow to the wheel cylinders.

BOTTOM LINE: Someone has fed u a big line s**t about wheel cylinders, Sleeving, RE-sleeving and so forth.

Lots of car collectors have their old pitted master/wheel cylinders sleeved. Once sleeved in brass you don't have to worry about pitting again. The cost is higher for a quality sleeve job than a new cylinder but not a lot higher.

You can also get them sleeved in stainless steel but that's very expensive compared with brass.

Bottom line: A new cylinder (fresh off the boat from China?), cheaper and easier... yes, better... maybe not.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Just returned from Cruisin the Coast and guess what, met another Packard owner who has experienced total brake failure with no prior warning from the system. His vehicle is a 1956 Executive 4 door with 35,000 miles on it.

Bill

Posted on: 2010/10/11 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Good point JD about the China-Rican made wheel cylinders altho i have not ran into that. Altho re-pop parts market is changing so rapidly that it is becommiong nearly impossible to keep up with.

Nonetheless, the China-rican parts aftermarket is not limited to antique cars either. It now covers nearly EVERYTHING.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 15:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Rowdy. Did u tell him to join in with the fun here at P'info.com????? We would like hear his full story.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 15:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Mates,

All constructive advice is much appreciated and I'll certainly investigate whether something is blocked. By the way, over here when overhauling wheel cylinders it's common practice to re-bore the cylinders and fit stainless steel liners into the bores, and that is equally commonly known as "re-sleeving". I don't think playing semantics with words is really constructive advice. Also the comment about no external adjustment for brake boosters was simply a statement of fact by Karps. That is, the unit needs to be removed and disassembled before any adjustments can be made. Thanks once again, John

Posted on: 2010/10/11 16:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
JP -

Sounds suspicious that the boost is as insufficient with a recently rebuilt unit as the 27 year old one that it replaced.

Although you found sufficient vacuum, you didn't say where you picked up that reading. The vacuum source for the power brake unit is at the rear of the 4-bbl. carb. However, it is not merely a fitting, but a check valve, and at this ripe,old age, it is entirely possible that the rubber valve has degraded.

You also need to inspect several feet of vacuum hose in the circuit, and there's a stamped steel vacuum reservoir mounted on the rear of the left front fender splasher that could have developed a leak.

Last, but not least, there is a special hose inside the vacuum shell that runs from the tube fitting on the shell to the power piston plate. I once lost power assist for the brakes in one of my Patricians, yet had good vacuum. After eliminating everything else, I removed the vacuum cylinder end plate, which can be done in-car if you're patient. Turns out that the hose had been improperly replaced with fuel hose, which had slipped off the tube fitting - though cinched with a twist of mechanic's wire at each end. Luckily, I had a good hose salvaged from a parts car, installed it (with NO clamps), and never had a another problem with the power assist.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Craig wrote:

Come on, Eric! We need that video documentation to clarify things for unread, semi-informed people such as 55PackardGuy.

Craig

Gee thanks, Craig, it's always nice to be singled out as an example or an unread, semi-informed type of person.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 21:04
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Gee thanks, Craig, it's always nice to be singled out as an example or an unread, semi-informed type of person.

Because of your comments on this BTV thread, my statement is WRT to the BTV issue and your postings thereto. No disrespect meant and if you are now better informed, good for you.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/10/11 21:16
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Craig:

So far, this seems to be the best-informed, best-read statement I've seen on this thread regarding the possible variations on the Bendix T-V setups installed on other cars:

Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Quote:
"...it is my estimation (with no documentation to back it up) that less than 25% of ALL cars REGARDLESS OF MANUFACTURER came with power brakes.

Please recall, I did offer to do some research on this, if nobody else had the information at hand.

But if the consensus is that this information is useless or will be summarily discounted due to its source, by all means let me know so I won't waste time with it.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 21:45
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd be kind of curious as to how many. There are probably no records available for Packard but assuming some other mfgs were pushing convenience items, would expect more than 25%. The 50's were the era of the gadget and flashy cars, after all.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 22:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved