Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

64avanti, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 108 109 110 (111) 112 113 114 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thank you both Jim and Gerd, I'll make sure Wade is aware of this resource.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 21:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Jim, to literally "read" bearing shells seems to be a great work method. I hope that BigKev will agree to include this article in the How-To's & Tech Tips. Future generations will call us the bearing shell whisperers.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.07 KB)
757_4f9041f046722.jpg 500X702 px

Posted on: 2012/4/19 10:32
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Posted in the How To section.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 14:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Should I say Gerd?

While I am constantly amazed at your juxtaposition of concepts, making connections unseen by others, I never thought of Wade as a serial killer with me as his accomplice.
Although......we all have our secrets, some darker than others!

Posted on: 2012/4/19 16:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 23rd April 2012

No action at the workshop at the end of last week although I did meet Wade there late Friday morning. We were off to the funeral of, Ted, the guy who organised the Morris Minor Picnic Club OASIS runs on the first Tuesday of each month. Oasis stands for Old And Seriously Into Speed! Only 71yo, a great guy and there was a row of Morris Minors outside the chapel as a tribute from his mates.

This morning though Dr Wade, and his assistant Boris Mal, were off to make a house call on Emily who was feeling poorly. Would run but coughed, sputtered and stumbled. Besides basic tools, a meter and a booster pack, Wade also took transportation in the form of a car trailer behind the Ute "just in case". Richard and Wendy ushered us into the patient who took a little while to get started but she eventually did. Fuel and carburetion seemed OK so Wade turned to the ignition side. First getting the distributor cap off proved a challenge in itself. Then taking the rotor button out revealed two things, the top contact of the button was very worn and examining inside the cap found virtually no carbon contact. A tweak of the rotor button and a clean of the points now resulted in a non running condition. Must have disturbed that fine balance between just and not running. Another check then revealed no spark at the plugs so Wade removed the distributor and we returned with it to the workshop for further diagnostics and work.

Back at the workshop though, there wasn't another cap or rotor to fit. Although there were plenty for 120's, Wade's previous stock in trade. Casting around for 110/Six owners I rang JohnM but he didn't have any spares. Wade then rang John, Juniors Dad, who has two distributors both Auto-Lite although Emily's is a Delco-Remy. So it was determined that, while parts were being procured for the Delco-Remy, Emily would have to get by with an Auto-Lite until such time as the Delco-Remy was fixed. But how to go about this? Emily had been about 15 miles north of the workshop while Junior is at the opposite end of the spectrum, about 40+ miles south. Fortunately for Wade Boris Mal volunteered to be the courier and went for a Monday afternoon drive south. Wish I'd known a week ago, could have picked it up on the way to/from looking at the rusty '37 for sale at Mittagong which is even further south still. Oh well, not to worry, I was rewarded by John giving me the left hand threaded part of the snubber off Junior. Why? Because he'd found, of all things, a NOS snubber! B@$7@&d! Also saw Junior in dishevel with radiator out being repaired, see this thread. Radiator is due back tomorrow after repairs.

I'll drop the distributors, cap and rotor into the workshop early tomorrow morning so Wade can get onto it without delay. I won't be there for that because, on arriving home, I was informed we were booked for a grand-daughter visit tomorrow morning. Not complaining, Packards do have to run second to some things in life. Should be able to drop in later though so I'll be able to see how things progressed.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.52 KB)
226_4f951aad9da93.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.88 KB)
226_4f951ac1aff06.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (68.35 KB)
226_4f951ad38c729.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.90 KB)
226_4f951ae96422f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.10 KB)
226_4f951b04def69.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (16.81 KB)
226_4f951b187c08d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (46.05 KB)
226_4f951b344a02c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.67 KB)
226_4f951b4370fae.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.87 KB)
226_4f951b62ee530.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.06 KB)
226_4f951b77004af.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/4/23 4:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 24th April 2012

After spending the morning with our daughter and one granddaughter, the other started school this year, it was down to the workshop in the afternoon.

During the course of the morning Wade had picked up the 426 water pump from Anglade Engineering and had cleaned up and painted the Delco-Remy mounting plate. But the mounting plate isn't going to work with an Auto-Lite distributor! Instead Wade had dug out an Auto-Lite mounting plate, complete with pointer, probably off a 120. That was my little task, cleaning the Auto-Lite plate. But a trial fit of the plate, on the old 110 engine out of John's '39 TJR Bodied Six, showed it too wouldn't work! However a little surgery by Dr Wade is now in it's future and then it will fit! Wade is going to use the Auto-Lite distributor that was in Junior prior to it's troubles a few weeks ago. It has a new condensor, Wade's filed and set the points, the cap including carbon is good as well as the rotor button. Thursday, all going well, Emily should be infused with the Auto-Lite while the Delco-Remy awaits parts.

Concerning the Delco-Remy, Wade sent away the vacuum advance to be rebuilt. Now that's something that slipped my mind, Big Red's vacuum advance was rebuild just prior to it's troubles. There's a guy in Queensland who provides this service and no sooner had Wade sent off Big Reds vacuum advance then it came back rebuilt. Turn around time was impressive. So Emily's will receive the same treatment. Wade is also ordering a distributor tune-up kit for Emily.

What also happened today was that Wade had Steve, a friend of John from the workshop, working on the bonnet(hood) for The Fossil. The Fossil! Bet you thought is was dead? Although it hasn't been mentioned for a while, other matters having priority, it's still there waiting patiently. The work Steve was doing today relates back some time to when the central hinge was riveted onto the left side top bonnet(hood) panel. Lets just say that this probably should have been left to the pros because it didn't turn out well. Anyway Steve is now sorting it out and has warned Wade off. Steve, after he has effected the necessary repairs to the panel, is adamant that he alone will rivet the new hinge to the bonnet(hood) panel!

Attach file:

jpg  (22.56 KB)
226_4f9670ae0c69c.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (29.22 KB)
226_4f9670bf6fb3e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.31 KB)
226_4f96726fc1999.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (22.16 KB)
226_4f96728558d5e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (36.43 KB)
226_4f9672975c2e6.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/4/24 4:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 26th April 2012

Morning was spent cleaning up Big Red's crankcase because it too is heading to Tamworth in company with the crankshaft and rods. Wade thought it would fit in the "washing machine", a hot water and detergent parts washer, but it wouldn't. Missed it by that much! Next stop was the parts cleaner, a large tray on top of a drum with a pump circulating the cleaning fluid. Very awkward lifting the crankcase up and into it then balancing it on one end and "hosing" it with the cleaner. Then balanced one end on top of the parts washer cabinet, with me hanging on to it, while the rest hung over the parts cleaner and Wade washed away. Did a reasonable job, but then John suggested the high pressure water cleaner. Outside and, after a spray down with degreaser, the crankcase was blasted clean. Turned out pretty well and was left out in the sun to drain and dry.

Next was getting Junior's Auto-Lite distributor ready to take over to implant into Emily. Main task was to modify the mounting plate, the Auto-Lite's being entirely different to the Delco-Remy's. That done gathered some tools, meter, battery pack and timing light and off we went. The main problem confronting the swap was timing. Note had been made of how the Delco-Remy was pointing when removed but the Auto-Lite was so different that didn't matter. Had to block off the vacuum advance line on Emily because the Auto-Lite doesn't have vacuum advance. Did that with a golf tee. Just as well Emily's Mum and Dad, Wendy and Richard, play the game so a tee was readily available. But the real problem was finding the timing. Remember I'd said "gathered some tools" earlier, well it was apparent that there weren't enough tools. On Monday I'd thrown in a spark plug socket but not today, and now needed one badly to pull #1 plug to find TDC. Tried to do it with the marks on the flywheel but the big blob of white paint there was so big determining what was TDC just wasn't easy. It must be said there was spark, plenty of it as Wade can attest when he was zapped at one point. I daresay you could just about weld with it! Many attempt later, even turning the distributor shaft through 180 degrees didn't help, it was time to admit defeat, pack up the meagre supply of tools and leave quietly. But we'll be back, probably early next week because there's a Packard Club run the following Sunday.

Back at the workshop after putting away the tools, surprising how little time that took, turned to a few other things that could help us when we again return to render further succour to Emily. First was a set of sparkplugs, cleaned and gapped the requisite six. Next was a compression gauge, although we think this has been checked before it'll be done again. And when tools are packed again there'll be plenty instead of too few. Then turned to Big Red's parts. Turns out DavidM is also going to Tamworth, he's taking his 1912 Maxwell, and because he's trailering the Maxwell will be able to take the crankcase as well as the other parts. There'll also be the two 426 water pumps, one of which is already assembled. The other, Wade commenced painting because it needs to be re-assembled tomorrow so it's ready to return to Tamworth at the end of next week. And speaking of tomorrow, I'll miss the water pump re-assembly as well as Noel who's dropping in with the new radio head for Fleurette, but will catch up with the action next week.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.41 KB)
226_4f99063b9c91a.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (26.45 KB)
226_4f990649ba017.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (37.14 KB)
226_4f990673e4696.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.49 KB)
226_4f99068772587.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.99 KB)
226_4f99069e3029a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.37 KB)
226_4f9906b83aac2.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (36.83 KB)
226_4f9906d8ad7de.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.37 KB)
226_4f9906f0e276b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.85 KB)
226_4f9906fe2755f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (40.14 KB)
226_4f990710cec20.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/4/26 3:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Mal!

Every week I read the OZ Packard story here in Souf Afffrika!

Keep at it and regards.

Greetings to all the Packard guys there!

Barrie

Posted on: 2012/4/26 10:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, would it have been possible to remove the front valve cover and set No. 1 for the position of the tappets and pointer on flywheel? Just a little "Monday Morning Quaterbacking" as we say here in the States. Enjoy the posts, keep them coming.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/4/26 13:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 2nd May 2012

Arrived at the workshop in my '41 120 Club Coupe, but more of that later. Didn't get there Monday or yesterday because of our daughter and grand-daughter/s commanding my attention those days. In my absence Wade had taken up Big Red's crankcase, crankshaft and connecting rods as well as the two 426 water pumps to DavidM. At David's they were loaded into the Maxwells trailer for the trip to Tamworth at the end of the week. Wade had also been working on The Fossil! Yes, he'd assembled the windscreen wiper arms making new springs to fit. Has also sent an email to Ficken about wiper blades and is waiting to hear back about that. Steve, the panelbeater, has also been in and taken away the bonnet(hood) panel he's been working on. Apparently it should be back by the end of the week, all straight with new paint. The other thing Wade spent time on was Big Red's block. With his aversion to anything that leaks, and the water jacket side plate was one such animal, Wade was determined to fix it once and for all. Currently most of the bolt holes have been helicoiled, along with sealer, but still there were leaks. So all the bolts and helicoils came out and that was fine but, when examining the block afterwards, Wade found one of the sleeves had shifted! It had moved up a little in the block! When the oil was drained there were traces of water in the oil so maybe that's how it got there? Upshot of this further setback was Wade talking to Harvey who, good guy that he is, has donated a spare block! Also learned that Noel had been over to show Wade the new radio head for Fleurette, but it doesn't fit! Not to worry, apparently there will be still another one winging its way from the US real soon courtesy of another PackardInfo member. Noel has also prevailed upon Wade to re-assemble the engine for his '41 160 Club Coupe. So it looks like Wade will be doing a lot of engine work in the coming months.

But before going over to Harvey's to pick up the block there were some minor '41 Coupe issues to attend to. Why? Because Wade and Gina are going to Tamworth in the Coupe seeing that Big Red is out of commission. Barry Smith, from Tamworth, is having his two Packards on display along with two from DavidH from Wauchope and Big Red was going to round out the Packard display to five, DavidM's 1912 Maxwell will be one of about five pre WW1 on display which participated in the recent 2012 Expedition Across Australia. But one thing I'd noticed about a week ago on the Coupe was that the sound deadening material on the underside of the air cleaner top was being sucked towards the carburettor throats. I think it's doing that because the paper filter element I'm using is thinner than the original wire filled element. Consequently there's nothing to hold the material against the underside of the top when installed. Mentioned the problem to Wade who came up with a quick fix of cutting a circle of thin rubber to fit inside the cover with a small hole in the centre for the stud to pass through. Cut and massaged the circle of rubber to fit then a coat of contact adhesive to the underside of the cover and upper side of rubber, and hey presto, no more sound deadening sag! After re-installing the air cleaner top then did a vehicle lights check. Found the front left turn indicator bulb was fritzed so a replacement was installed. Now all lights work as they should.

Coupe taken care of, it was then off to Harvey's to pick up the block. On the way there dropped into Classic Vee-Dub at Rydalmere which Harvey had recommended to Wade. Reason being, they stock 3 pin 6V flasher cans, one of which Wade needs for The Fossil. And here's a little snippet, apparently the 3 pin flasher is for 356 Porsches. Then Hare & Forbes for some consumables for the bench grinder and wire wheel. Then onto Harvey's where under the house was the prize we'd come for, the block. So with Wade fully under the house, only about 3' of headroom available, and me down on my knees at the entrance we dragged, pushed and pulled the block out. From there onto a trolley then into the back of the Ute. Then lunch, despite our protestations. Well, we said no at least once. Carol made us a nice ham, cheese and tomato sandwich each and a cup of tea for me and coffee for Wade. Delicious too, have to do that more often, turn up at lunchtime!

Back at the workshop, unloaded the block, and commenced to examine it in detail. All valves still in, pistons and rods still in #1 and #3, lots of rust around valves and a quick check of the bore size revealing it looks std. Getting the pistons out was quite an exercise calling for a liberal application of brute force to hammer #3 out with wooden blocks, a large hammer, some penetrant/lubricant and some choice words. #1 was even tougher, not helped by the wooden blocks disintegrating from the repeated hammer blows, the chips were flying! With #1 almost at the bottom of the bore, and only a handful of splinters left, turned instead to some of the large round steel discs used as aids with the hydraulic press. They did the trick. Then removed the water jacket side cover, most of the bolts snapped off although some did screw out, with the internal baffle mostly disintegrated into a rusty mess. Cleaned it out and it looks reasonable in there but only a good hot tanking and subsequent inspection, including wall thickness checks, will confirm its viability. But by starting with an unbored block hopefully there will be enough meat for an overbore.

Wade is leaving early Thursday morning for the trip to Tamworth while DavidM is leaving Friday morning. Good clubman that he is, David will be attending PACA's Committee meeting on Thursday evening. Meanwhile, while those two are in Tamworth, other PACA Sydney based members will be going on a run to a visit relatively new PACA member, AndrewB, and his garage on Sunday. Andrew has a '40 160 Club Coupe and a '31 833 Coupe as well as many other collector cars, many of them early Fords. We'll also be catching up with Starliner, Chris, whose 48 Packard Woodie project is in a workshop across the driveway from AndrewB's. Unfortunately I had received an email earlier in the week from Wendy, Emily's Mum, that they couldn't make the Packard run on Sunday because of other commitments. So the necessity to get Emily up and running in time for the run dissipated. Because of that, instead of going over to re-time Emily today and install Junior's donor distributor that'll be done after Wade returns from Tamworth. Wade already has the rebuilt vacuum advance back and should have the tune up kit from the US by then too. So Juniors distributor fix probably won't be required as Emily's distributor should be good to go back in.

Quote:
JW wrote:Mal, would it have been possible to remove the front valve cover and set No. 1 for the position of the tappets and pointer on flywheel?...
John,

No doubt possible but time and labour intensive. Instead Wade is going to pull #1 plug and find TDC that way. Speaking of which, we would have done that last time but someone(moi?) forgot to pack the plug socket!

Attach file:

jpg  (26.01 KB)
226_4fa2029d59b03.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.07 KB)
226_4fa202ba0d118.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.37 KB)
226_4fa202d23edb8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.84 KB)
226_4fa202e4c939e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.99 KB)
226_4fa203003f0fd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.75 KB)
226_4fa203137209b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.47 KB)
226_4fa2033c77140.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.91 KB)
226_4fa20358b51e4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.29 KB)
226_4fa2037b57b5f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.41 KB)
226_4fa203977026b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.93 KB)
226_4fa203b8926c7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.71 KB)
226_4fa203d3980ee.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.40 KB)
226_4fa203e354192.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.41 KB)
226_4fa203fd4f399.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (48.18 KB)
226_4fa2041b492bd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (73.65 KB)
226_4fa2043198fb7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.33 KB)
226_4fa204694c24d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.18 KB)
226_4fa206b93e139.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/5/2 23:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 108 109 110 (111) 112 113 114 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved