Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 120

JD in KC, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 114 115 116 (117) 118 119 120 ... 258 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Looks great! Money well spent. Can you tell where they cut the tank open for the media blasting?

Posted on: 2011/3/4 0:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you carefully look, you can barely see where they welded up the 1/2" hole on each top/side of the tank. You would never see it anything once installed in the car.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 0:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Todays activities, installed the new Exhaust and Fuel tank.

First order of business was removing the old exhaust. I sprayed down all the exhaust clamps and brackets with a good soaking of PB Blasters and tell them soak.

Next the exhaust was first loosened where it attached to the manifolds. This went easy as this has been off before.

I then removed clamp hanger near the bellhousing. Then removed the exhaust clamp at the front of the muffler.

Next I move onto the rear muffler bracket. This a weird bracket that looks like an engine mount and sits on top of a bracket that comes off the frame. The rubber was completely got. So I will have to find a replacement for it somehow.

Also the U-Bolt broke when removing the one of the nuts from it. GRRR

Then exhaust tubes would still not come apart. Age and rust I imagine. So I used a sawsall to cut the tubes where they enter and leave the old muffler, and then pulled the entire system out.

After a run to the store to buy a couple of U-Bolt style clamps, the system when back in. I still need to find that rear muffler clamp with the integrated rubber mount, but I just used a regular clamp for now.

Next the Tank when back in.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.54 KB)
1_4d72f46a4980f.jpg 1280X765 px

jpg  (81.78 KB)
1_4d72f48cede50.jpg 1280X765 px

jpg  (75.60 KB)
1_4d72f4a0d2628.jpg 1280X765 px

jpg  (73.50 KB)
1_4d72f4b808639.jpg 1280X765 px

jpg  (79.20 KB)
1_4d72f4d30b845.jpg 1280X765 px

jpg  (77.87 KB)
1_4d72f4e184a3c.jpg 1280X765 px

jpg  (82.55 KB)
1_4d72f4f982da3.jpg 1280X765 px

Posted on: 2011/3/5 21:44
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is this the one you're looking for? hanger

Posted on: 2011/3/6 10:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If it's only the rubber that is bad then cut one from an old tire carcus. Tires are not ez to cut that's true. But bidding and ordering and waiting on delivery is not ez either. The tire carcus cut is a good quality fix. I've Used it many times. My Exec has all hangers with tire carcus fixes. Best to use a car or M/C tire (not bicycle or other lite duty tire) that is NOT steel belted. Steel belted is very difficult to cut. Bias ply is alot easier.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 10:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Certainly using a section of old tire carcass can be functional but if you're looking for something a bit more in line with OEM, you can purchase all manner of fabric-reinforced rubber sheeting in lots of thicknesses and variations from places like MSC. Often minimum order is small, e.g. 12 x 12 inches. Over the years you'll likely find any leftover useful for any number of other jobs.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 11:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I looked at the eBay listing that HH56 cited as "hanger". It appears to be very different from Kev's hanger pictured. The eBay hanger looks similar (tho not exactly) like the 56 over the axle hanger.

The eBay hanger is probably the rite one where Kevs hanger is most likely some home-brew hanger????

Either way, need to check the pipe fit to the car and then determine which hanger to use. Mite be that the 'home brew' hanger is a better fit????? Actual fitting of pipe and hanger will be the final judgement.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 11:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, you could buy a universal tail pipe hanger and use the rubber insulator part from it. They come in various lengths of the rubber part. Just drill out the rivets and use the length you need on your old clamp. This has worked for me in the past.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/6 11:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The part is not a hanger, but more of a saddle. There is a "body bracket" that comes off the frame rail and goes under the rear end of the muffler. That odd clamp then has about 1" thick of rubber spacer vulcanized to to a plate that attaches to that body bracket. Then the another plate is attached to the top of that rubber block that extends over the side and is attached to the muffler clamp. So the rear of the muffler sits on this as opposed to hangs from it.

The rear of the muffler is the first place where the exhaust system attaches to the body. The front mount is rigid off the bellhousing. So this rear muffler mount is similar to a engine mount in construction and is where all the flex takes place.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 12:43
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't remember that bracket but if you don't find a good one, it almost sounds like a perfect candidate for a urethane rubber you could cast in place yourself. Prep the surface properly and it is just like vulcanized rubber. Flexane products are available several places or a trial size of PMC 770 available from Reynolds Materials sounds perfect.http://www.reynoldsam.com/ I've used several of Reynolds products in my various projects and they're down in your area.

Here is a partial description of the PMC uses. The vibration/shock pad sounds like it fits the bill.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.32 KB)
209_4d73de804f529.jpg 627X52 px

Posted on: 2011/3/6 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 114 115 116 (117) 118 119 120 ... 258 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved