Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 19 »

Re: ANOTHER #%*!:( BTV failure
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have no problem with sleeved wheel cylinders. I just don't understand why one would sleeve cylinders when the X-ref on this forum indicates several popular replacement wheel cylinders by part number.

*** THREE of those part numbers entered into the X-ref by JP himself. ***

IIRC from about 3 years ago i bought all 3hree different sizes of wheel cylinders localy for the 55-56 Packard/Clipper line at a discount parts store. IIRC they fit a variety of AMerican passenger cars/lite trucks up thru about 1985.

Are there no such suppliers of auto parts for US made cars in Oz???? No US made cars in Oz???? Or very few????

I just don't know. I realize things overseas are different than in the us.

I'm just trying to figure out why the wheel cylinders were sleeved instead buying new ones. That's all.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 22:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Brian,

Thanks for the advice and I'll certainly be looking into it further. To answer your questions, I took the vacuum reading at the hose end at the booster. That is, I disconnected the hose at the booster and hooked up the gauge to it. By doing this I reckoned I should be able to test the vac tank for leaks at the same time, and it seems to be holding pretty well, losing only 2" overnight. I had previously replaced the carby check valve with a NOS one, which seems to be working properly, and I've also replaced all the vac hosing with new brake booster vac hose. This all suggests that it has something to do with the booster itself, and I now have a few clues to follow up on. Thanks once again. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2010/10/11 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Regarding the wheel cylinders, at the time of getting them reconditioned I was unable to find any the same size locally. That doesn't mean there weren't any, I just couldn't find any then and there. While there are a fair few American cars are on the road over here (only 3 '56 Patricians, including mine), mostly our late model cars are locally manufactured or imported from Asia and Europe. I personally don't know of any that use the same size wheel cylinders as my Patrician. In any event, getting the originals re-sleeved didn't cost much more than new ones would have and the turnaround time was quick. As I had the part #'s at hand, I put them into the cross ref to help anyone else who might want to know them. Unfortunately, they didn't help me find new replacements when I went looking. John

Posted on: 2010/10/11 22:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
While there are a fair few American cars are on the road over here (only 3 '56 Patricians, including mine), mostly our late model cars are locally manufactured or imported from Asia and Europe.

Therein lies the problem, where exactly is "here"?

Posted on: 2010/10/11 22:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JP is probably in Austrailia or New Zealand.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 8:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
JP is from Melbourne, Australia.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.64 KB)
226_4cb4b55949012.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/10/12 14:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
what a sweet-looking ride, JP!

Since HH56's interest in other sources of info and specs on Treadle-Vac brake boosters, here's a link to what some of the Chevy heads have to say. Didn't read the whole thread. I'm more interested in getting some of the straight poop from Allied-Signal or some nut who has a website or cross-ref for the Bendix variety.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/218459/

Little late to look more tonight, but I will... hope to have some stuff yet this week.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 22:39
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks for the link 55Guy!!!!

This is interesting, an excerpt from the link 55Guy has pointed us too:

Read the post carefully!!! I continue to conjecture that hte internal workings of the BTV as used on the HIGH mounted BTV's is piston and cup and NOT a displacement ram.

HERE IT IS:
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/1712754/

Posted on: 2010/10/12 23:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
internal workings of the BTV as used on the HIGH mounted BTV's is piston and cup and NOT a displacement ram.

Motors & Chilton don't mention a cup for the Bendix hydraulic reaction type one of the Chevy guys on that forum said they used but I would think the easiest way to find out would be to ask a rebuilder of Chevy units. Am also curious that if Delco-Moraine copied the BTV as has been reported, whether that unit might have a cup and is what is actually being used in GM applications. Motors has both brands grouped in the same subsection with same instructions though.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 23:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Sorry Guys, when I read your comments it tells me where you're from and I assumed my comments would indicate likewise when you read them. On closer inspection, I can see that my location is not mentioned and I apologise for any confusion this might have caused. Like Mal says, I'm from Melbourne, Australia, have been on this planet for nearly 66 years and I bought my Patrician from Dick Benjamin of southern CA about three years ago.

I've just had a look at those Chevvy sites and would like to mention for what it's worth that Karps did fit a stainless steel liner into my treadlevac - well I hope they did as I paid extra for it.

Cheers, John

Posted on: 2010/10/12 23:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved