Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 97

Guscha, Dbedsole, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 123 124 125 (126) 127 128 129 ... 145 »

Re: BigKev's 1937 115-C Convertible Coupe
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Got the fan cut down. I made a template that is aligned with thr sides of the blades and rests on the rivet on the back side to have positive registration. Then I slid it up and marked the top of the blade. Then cut off the original top part from the template. This left me with a shorter te plate that still has the original top profile.

Click to see original Image in a new window

I then used a bandsaw to cut through the aluminum blades fairly close to line. The ground away the rest until the none of the line was left.

Got it reinstalled and problem solved. Plenty of clearance and I was able to raise the radiator fully back up. I let the motor run for nearly 1/2 hour. Didn't even get above 155f. Checked with a laser thermo on multiple spots on the motor. Also no odd fan noise or vibration.

I also installed the front radiator splasher/cow catcher. I made the little rubber bumpers as I wasn't going to pay Steele $74 for those little anti-ratlers.

I also got all the hood lace installed as I figured I should have that in place when doing the sheet metal alignment.

Posted on: 1/5 18:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
While I still have the fenders off I need to take care of a few other tasks what will be easier. I need to run a new fuel line and pump. The old pump is very loud and mounted pretty much behind the firewall along the frame rail. I want to move that closer to tank and further away from the muffler.

Also the fuel line is a patch work of original rusty metal line, hose and some clear tubing. Also need to replace the fuel filter.

Second on the list is a heatshield for the steering box and master cylinder. The exhaust collector pretty much runs down between the two. Measuring temp with a laser thermo, I was getting 550f from the exhaust in that area. The brake switch was measuring 205F. So going to see if I can fab up a shield. But not a lot of distance between everything. Otherwise I may have to do exhaust wrap in that area.

Luckily that area also gets a good airflow from the engine fan.

Posted on: 1/6 8:24
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
It’s looking great, Kev. You’re making some awesome progress!

Posted on: 1/6 9:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Also, keep posting. You’re blog is the Volume 1 of my encyclopedia for restoring my car. (For all the old fogies who remember encyclopedias!)

Posted on: 1/6 9:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
Mine has a single bolt attaching the brace to the bottom of the frame immediately ahead of the radius rod ball socket. The brace is a straight, light sheet metal channel with flattened ends. The flanges go down. The fender has a flat lower flange behind the wheel opening about 3/4" wide, and about 5" back of the wheel opening, it widens to about 1" for about 2". The outboard end of the brace attaches there with two small bolts.

The installed brace makes a 90 deg angle to the lower edge of the fender, or close to it. If you have a stock brace, attaching it to the frame would show you about where should attach to the fender.

How far are the two bolt holes in the fender flange from the outside edge of the fender?

Posted on: 1/10 11:48
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:

How far are the two bolt holes in the fender flange from the outside edge of the fender?

Can anyone with a 1937 Junior car measure this for me? It sets the distance of the lower edge of the fender behind the tire.

Posted on: 1/11 14:52
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
While waiting for that info to surface, I'm dealing with some other issues that popped up.

So the belt was squealing on startup and sometimes when I revved the motor. But because of the way the alternator was mounted, it made it nearly impossible to tension the belt.

Usually, when you put an alternator where a generator was, you adapt the bracketry to fit. Instead, someone modified the alternator case. They flipped the alternator upside down and used the top narrow mount as the bottom mount. The thicker/wider bottom mount was now the top mount and then they ground about 75% of that away to make room for the adjuster bracket. Because where it was now mounted at the bottom was so narrow on the factory generator bracket, it wobbled. So, they ran another bracket from the rear of the generator bracket to the ground bolt on the alternator casing. Those are all at different points of rotation, not aligned with one another. So that is what makes it unadjustable to take up any belt slack.

So, I just ordered a replacement 10SI 63 amp alternator that is unaltered. This way, if it ever has to be replaced on the road, it can be, vs something that would have to be altered to fit. I also ordered the bracketry parts to mount and align it properly, much like I did on the '54.

When I was going over what needed to be done to make all that work, I also discovered another reason the belt was squealing. The belt is bottomed out in the pullies. So I looked up what was the proper belt for the Jag motor and it should be a 1/2" belt vs the 3/8" belt that was on there. So I have that belt on order from Napa. Should be here in the morning.

Down the rabbit hole, one land mine at a time.

Posted on: 1/11 16:00
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Quote:

BigKev wrote:

Can anyone with a 1937 Junior car measure this for me? It sets the distance of the lower edge of the fender behind the tire.

Kev
I don't spend much time out at the shop anymore, but I plan on going out next week sometime and I could measure Pat's car. I'm not sure of what measurement you're looking for. Can you post a marked-up photo?

Posted on: 1/12 10:56
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Mine is missing, so I can't really get a picture. But there is a brace that connects from the lower edge of the frame to the bottom flange on the front fender, just rearward of the tire. I need to know what the spacing is between the outer most edge of the fender sheet metal to center of the two bolt holes on the fender flange where that brace connects. Probably the best way to get that measurement would be with a machinist or carpenter square so it can lay against the fender for a reference edge.

Posted on: 1/12 12:21
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Karl
See User information
Hi Kevin,
You wrote that you let the engine run for half an hour with the shortened fan blades and didn't notice any problematic temperature increase. Was the engine running at idle speed?

Karl

Posted on: 1/12 13:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 123 124 125 (126) 127 128 129 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved