Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 127

moodydavid16, Todd W. White, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 127 128 129 (130) 131 132 133 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank, beautiful job on the fuel pump and spark plug wiring. You may want to separate the wires for cylinders 5 and 7 to be at the far ends of the brackets to reduce the effects of induction firing. Are you using a Petronix or Delco coil? You are probably aware that the Petronix has an internal resistor and the Delco requires an external resistor. If using the Petronix, do not use the firewall mounted external resistor. I always, enjoy your postings and the care you take to make things just right with minimum dollar cost.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/11/26 12:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Hank,

Just catching up on my blog reading. You have made great progress since I last checked in. I am glad to see that you are taking your time to do things correctly before doing an engine start.

Keep up the great work!

All my best,

Tom

Posted on: 2012/11/26 20:17
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
John,

Yes, Pertronix coil and I will not be adding the firewall resistor...although i did have a thought to gut a resistor and make a faux one just for looks, but just have the wire pass through...no resistance.

i was also thinking about buying some of those wire seperators that clip on. not sure yet. i like the way the wires are arranged for now, so we wil see once i start it at some point. thanks for the tip though.

Tom,

I'm hoping i get it all right before i turn it over. i already turned over the starter to test...and it cranked...no weird noises, but i didn't let it crank long.

i will need help figuring out how to start this thing without the dash in and etc. how does one do that?

i know i need to fill with oil and probably should fill the transmission too. do i have to have the generator mounted?? if i do have it mounted is there away to have it run off the generator so i don't run down the test battery i have (its an old battery and tired) gotta get the gas hooked up. i'm going to get the radiator hocked up and fill it.

i want to beable to let it run for a bit and warm up. i don't want to just pop it off and thats it...doesn't seem like thats a good way to treat a new motor. seems like i should get it to a point that i can let it run for a good little bit.

i plan to do all this with the back end up the in air a bit, cause i'd like to run the trans through the gears, but i don't want to let it loose, crashing through the wall. that would suck.

thanks for the tips guys. i've never benched an engine before so i have no idea how to start it minimally.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/11/26 21:28
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
I like the other saw the firewall and couldn't believe with all the other detail that you left that tidbit out, (even if temporary, it had to feel good). I am deployed again so neither of my cars will be seeing any attention until April, unless the wife goes crazy and wins the lottery of course! So, I am living vicariously through you and a few others, (mostly you as I love your work).

My wife just sent me an original sales brochure for my constellation, and so I was inspired to reread all 130 pages!! Good thing that I am the boss over here so no one looks too closely at what is on my computer. You work much faster / and your son grows more quickly in cyberspace. It seems like only yesterday you were announcing the pregnancy, oh wait, it was yesterday in my rereading.

Keep up the tremendous work, and lets get that thing fired up!

Posted on: 2012/12/8 15:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
i will need help figuring out how to start this thing without the dash in and etc. how does one do that?

Simple. Hook up a battery. Jump from the battery hot post to the coil - this provides ignition and bypasses the ignition switch and other wiring that would be in the dash. Then just jump the starter solenoid to crank the engine. If you want to follow the oil pressure (recommended) install a mechanical gauge. Stick a thermometer in the radiator tank to monitor the coolant temperature.

If you don't have the generator installed the belt drive for the water pump won't function so if you run it like this without the water pump functioning, just run it for a minute or so to avoid localized overheating. Otherwise install the generator and belt. You'll only draw a couple of amps to power the ignition so if the battery has enough power to start the engine it will have more than enough to power the ignition for quite some time, at least an hour or two would be my guess so you don't need to have the generator active. With a fully-charged battery you can generally drive at least 100 or 200 miles without a generator, as long as the only current draw is the ignition.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
One thing to add, ESPECIALLY if you're using a fuel line from a gas can rather than from the fuel tank, have a good Halon or CO2 Fire Extinguisher very handy (not just in the shop but right at hand).

Also, whatever fuel delivery setup you're using, I'd go over all the connections carefully one more time. Redo anything that's suspect, and snug up everything else.

Then, it wouldn't be a bad idea to crank the engine for a while (with the ignition disabled) to get fuel into the lines and fuel bowl, and check again for any leaks--use your fingers to feel for any damp spots and tighten everything as needed. Check around the carb, too, for any seepage at the gaskets.

I'm probably preaching to the choir in your case, but just thinking of others who may use this blog as a guide.

P.S. If you've got gas delivery and spark at the correct time, it's GOT to start. My guess is-- first try or second try and it will.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 17:14
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Quote:
I like the other saw the firewall and couldn't believe with all the other detail that you left that tidbit out, (even if temporary, it had to feel good).

What does this mean, i have read this over and over and i can't figure out what you mean here. sorry.

God, how long did it take you to reread all 130 pages...geesh! not even i have that much patience! yup my kiddo is 4 now. time does fly!

i'm glad i could help out while you are deployed! be safe!

Thanks OD for the tips, i didn't even notice the waterpump was connected to the belt for the Gen. whoops! thanks!

i haven't done much more to the car, i had to replace the wax ring on my toilet today....yuck! and i've been having a bad week heart wise. blugh!

i want to buy that 53 2dr on ebay...but the guy is a jerk...plus the neg feedback on it isn't promising. i asked him questions and he told me to find another car. basically he doesn't want to put the effort forth.

i planned on using it as a nice driver, it was cheap if i could get it for 3k. plus it was only 200 miles away, outside Houston. those combos hardly ever come up on Ebay. plus i like the Mayfair additions on the Jr.

this week i have been having bigger heart issues making me just want to buy one to drive while i restore the constellation. But then there is the debt...cause it would have to be on a CC. but....you only live once...some longer then others.

friends neighbor died in his sleep..he was 34 and no health issues....i'm 31 with a shit heart and an ICD. doesn't make you very optimistic. i try though.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 17:22
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
I,like the other (poster) etc, etc,

meaning that I had the same thought. Sorry, too much reading. It took me probably 12ish hours or so to reread them all, but in an 80 hour work week with 40 hours of work, with little other distraction, there is time. The problem now is that I have read it all. And all the rest of the V8 Packard writings on this site.

Funny that you wanted a '53 to drive while you finish the constellation. that is basically why the wife allowed me to get my '55. Well, that and the price,

Posted on: 2012/12/8 17:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
want to buy that 53 2dr on ebay...but the guy is a jerk...plus the neg feedback on it isn't promising. i asked him questions and he told me to find another car. basically he doesn't want to put the effort forth.

Quote:
that is basically why the wife allowed me to get my '55

At least you had your priorities in order. It appears the seller is one third miffed because the first bidder/buyer/winner didn't ask his wife first and she said no after he had won it. Bet that was an interesting conversation when he told her.

The second winner wanted free storage so there accounts for two thirds miffed. Maybe he was born grumpy for the final third and when Hank called, it showed.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 17:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Thanks for the gas thoughts!

I contacted the other bidders that won before. Both said same thing. They won no reserve and he wanted more money and when they wouldn't. He cancelled and relisted.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 18:18
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 127 128 129 (130) 131 132 133 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved