Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 39 »

Re: Don’s 1937 (120) 138CD Deluxe Touring Limo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Quote:

Cli55er wrote:
Have had this happen…. Probably the ground wire or the grounding through tank is not good.

Quote:

Don B wrote:
Cleaned the points…used 600 sandpaper per Ross’ suggestion. Got spark….and she started right up.

She starts very easy now and seems to run quite smooth.

But….there’s always a but.

The I’m not seeing the oil pressure pick up on the gauge. Tried a couple of things after talking to Ross…I really owe him dinner or something after today.

Bought an oil pressure gauge at the auto parts and hooked it up. Same thing.

So, Ross thinks it’s likely that either they oil pump needs primed or the pickup in the pan is plugged.

So, more work to do, but today was still a very good day. Just know it runs well is awesome..

On the down side, the new fuel sending unit I put in is not working. I had tested it with the fuel gauge before installing and it was working. Then installed it, re-installed the tank, added gas….and nothing.

I’ll lower the tank (not remove) it and see if I can get to it to check the connections at the tank.

In the meantime, I’ll also tackle replacing the seal in the steering box.

Yeah, I checked the ground wire were I could. I need to check it at the tank, which means I’ll need to lower the tank to get to it.

Posted on: 2023/11/4 23:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It doesn't matter if it pushes oil up the tube or not. The oil will merely pressurize the air. Think Archimedes. All the matters is the reading on the gage.

Posted on: 2023/11/5 7:00
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
True.

Still wish I'd seen the pressure come up in the gauge. I'll definitely need some help with next steps, but it will have to wait for a couple weeks.

This coming weekend, I'l be moving my daughter from NC to Nashville.

In the meantime, I have some other things to work on during the week.

Posted on: 2023/11/5 11:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Okay…I was doing some tinkering today and made some real progress.

First, I noticed my fuel gauge pop to life when I turned on the key. It went right to 1/4 tank which was right as I had 5 gallons in a 20 gallon tank.

Then, it quit again…. The gauge is sticking a bit. It seems to be getting better with a little exercise. The good news is that all is well with the sending unit which means I don’t need to lower the tank again!

Then…I decided I should test the new oil pressure gauge. My son recently had a new one that was bad.on a car he was building (just finished) So, I blew some air into it….nothing.

Then, while messing with it, the line pulled out of the gauge. I discovered a user error….I had tightened the compression nut, but not enough for it the compression fitting to compress on to the line, so the line was “leaking”. I tightened it down and retested with air….works.

So….hooked it back up and cranked the engine. I could see it coming up to about 20 while cranking.

Took a bit for it to start, but when it did, the pressure came right up to about 40.

So…That meant get her off the jack stands, torque the axel nuts, tighten all the lug bolts, put the fire extinguisher in the car, install the headlight lenses…race against rapidly dwindling daylight…install the license plate, install the tail light lenses…

Did I mention that I really hate not staying on daylight savings time year round.

Well, more to come on the tail light lenses….went out with “white”tail lights. (no lenses) and no hood. Don’t flog me…sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Steering definitely has a lot of play…that’s moving to a high-priority item. Brakes felt great! I’m really happy about that.

Went for a short drive. First stop was Mom and Dad’s about a mile and a half away. Pretty exciting! I pulled into the drive and honked the new horns. They sound awesome! I left the car running while there and had the headlights on. Then, noticed the headlights start turning off, then back on, back off, back on. I turned them off for a bit. Then turned them back on when we left and they seemed to be normal again.

Then a short stop to get a bit more gas…about three miles. I took a big risk and turned off the car while pumping the ethanol free gas…another five gallons to bring up to about half a tank. When I went to start her back up, it cranked VERY slow, but did start…Drove straight home (about a mile and a half). The headlights operated normally right until I was pulling into the garage and then they started blinking again. I also noticed that it was all light doing this, not just the headlights.

So with the off-on “blinking” of the lights and the slow cranking after getting gas, I’m guessing I have a generator problem. Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

All around good day!

Posted on: 2023/11/5 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Congrats on getting her started and on the road!

The lights blinking on and off may be the headlight switch. It's likely a little corroded and could use some cleaning. However, on mine it only affected the headlights. Not sure why yours would be all the lights. Generator possibly, but I would expect that would lead to dim lights.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/11/5 22:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks, Kevin!

I’ll have to play around with the light switch. The way those switches are, it’s conceivable that it would affect all of the lights.

Posted on: 2023/11/5 23:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Check your battery cable connections both on the battery and engine/starter side. Make sure they are tight and clean, if your whole electrical system is flickering and a warm engine barely cranks, it sounds like an intermittent poor connection.

Also go and check your battery voltage with a voltmeter.

Posted on: 2023/11/6 6:19
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Okay…I finally figured out the tail light lens gasket orientation and got the lenses on. They look great and are very secure.

Also, realized how much better my headlights work with the lenses installed. Not sure why, but I just hadn’t thought about how much the lenses control the beam patterns. Photo order is City (low), Country (high), Passing (right high, left low). Cheap bulbs are the cause of the right bulb being so much dimmer.

I also re-installed my rear view mirror. That’s going to make driving MUCH better.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_8426.jpeg (189.08 KB)
225755_6549b75accee1.jpeg 2048X1536 px

jpeg  IMG_8422.jpeg (192.56 KB)
225755_6549b7d26ecac.jpeg 2048X1536 px

jpeg  IMG_8423.jpeg (274.00 KB)
225755_6549b7eb88bf8.jpeg 2048X1536 px

jpeg  IMG_8424.jpeg (239.94 KB)
225755_6549b8036f6d1.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  IMG_8427.jpeg (271.49 KB)
225755_6549b81e1db6e.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/11/6 23:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Don, what is the diameter of your tail light lens? The seal looks like it may also work on the rear siren light of my 1951 Henney-Packard ambulance.

Posted on: 2023/11/6 23:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
The outside diameter of the bezel measures 3-7/8in.

Not sure of the actual diameter of the lens since it’s installed now.

Posted on: 2023/11/6 23:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved