Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 234

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Ivory Steering Wheel 48-54 Reproduction Project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The vinegar (acetic acid) odor is perhaps indicative of the use of cellulose acetate or cellulose acetate/butyrate as a component. These were very early plastics, dating back to about 1860, and I believe were the base of early photographic films as well. Just speculating.....

Posted on: 2010/11/26 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Owen you are on the right tracks. Indeed eraly USSR cars,
ZIS 110, Moskvich MZA 400 and GAZ M20 Pobeda used cellulose acetate as you reffered. The exact composision is not known
but they used it really long over 35 years, to make steering wheels and knobs, until the production of plastics improved in the 70s.
But another thing I have noticed is that the ivory colored steering wheels decay much faster then ,brown or black colored wheels. I dont know how to explaine this.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 15:36
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Owen,

We already sell all the other ivory knobs and handles

I have no idea f the spline size, horn button size and retention method etc etc on teh Soviet wheel. While many parts form those vehicles look identical, when you measure them they are in millimeters and will not fit, such as head gaskets.

I see the wheels are already made, therefor I have no interest in doing it also. Thanks for the suggestion.

Fred Kanter

Posted on: 2010/11/26 16:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Yes, Fred there are several people here in Estonia alone who make moldings and restore ZIS and other Soviet car wheels and
plastic knobs etc, its not cheap to buy them but they are in the same prize range as the parts manufactured to other US cars that have Ivory wheels etc.
The qualety has been so far, how to say: really impressive.

But it was not always like that, 4 years ago there was a real shortage of Ivory items here that where good preserved I also had several things I sold later. But then some enthusiastic people took the matter in there own hands and started experimenting and new the problems are solved. You can get replicaided wheels if you have the money to buy them. Its not just a bisness matter but, lets take the time, effort,moldings and materials+ all the other things that come whit the making of one Wheel. Thats the thing that some poeple to not understand if they see the prize tag.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 3:03
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
To all as a Pattern Maker/Model Maker I can give some input on this subject.However the site or my pc abilitys says I have no right to comment on this.A core exchange is very desirable here.As it is much easier to rebuild than making a new one most certainly if the old one is starting to fall apart I make replacement parts for antiuue outboards.(for 20 years.)I am very sorry if this is on the blunt side but I cant risk not having it go thru because I took to long to type it.I had you in mind Fred please dont slam me as I just don't have the typing skills to say what needs to be said in the time allotted. BHW

Posted on: 2010/11/27 18:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm not sure what you mean by no right to comment. All are welcome to comment and I for one would very much like professional opinions on most all. The login session does time out and that may be what happened as the message does say something along those lines.

If you took a long time and the login did time out, one trick a lot of us have got into the habit of doing on longer posts is to just before you click the submit button, highlight all the text you typed and then edit and select copy. That way if it did time out, once you log in again and assuming you didn't copy anything else, then all you have to do is go back to the forum post, select the reply button again and then do an edit and paste and all you wrote should appear again. Photos would have to be selected again, then redo the submit.

Some also type all long replies in word or another text program and then when ready, copy all of that to the reply box.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 19:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
I am sorry but My frustration by the system I am guessing due to my long winded typing lead me to the "No right to comment." statement .Not by me but by what ever.I have made wheels before.much work.I simply cannot do this fast enough.I had a very pertinent comment.My lack of PC skills drove me away before. I see it will do so again. I am sorry.I will continue to try.Please be patient.To be blunt again I make stuff from scratch for a living. Brian

Posted on: 2010/11/27 19:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

I have been caught many, many times by the session time out limit. Do like Howard says and you won't lose what you've typed. Another way is to preview what you've been typing every 10 minutes or so as this "tells" PackardInfo you're still alive and doesn't time you out. Even saying that, I still get caught from time to time with my long winded Project Blog posts!

Posted on: 2010/11/27 19:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
As a clarification I did not come up with the "no right to comment." statement. The system did. Again I am sure due to my lack of typing speed.If It had gone thru It would have been my longest post by far.Took me almost an hour to type it.(bummer for me.) BHW

Posted on: 2010/11/27 19:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Thanks all,I think I know what you mean by ("Hi lighting")I will try.(Assuming I can remember it of course.)LOL Brian

Posted on: 2010/11/27 19:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved