Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 82

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Mal,I find my self a lot under the hood of a car, but non of them is a Packard. But I have to agree with you on what you said.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 10:32
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, thanks a bunch for the photos. John

Posted on: 2009/8/29 12:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 31st August 2009

Found Wade under Old Blue when I arrived at the workshop and he wasn't happy! Seems he worked on her all weekend without success. Why? Because in marrying together disparate 120 intake and exhaust manifolds there was a difference in the mating surface distances to the block! Saturday afternoon Old Blue was fired up, or tried to be fired up, but the leaks were so bad it was a failure. So off came the manifolds and with some tweaking another attempt was made on Sunday, a little better that time, but still nowhere near successful. That's where I came in, with the manifolds about to be separated from the block for the third time. Once off it was apparent there was a difference in height of about 1/16" between the intake and exhaust mounting surfaces. Around to Brookers, the brake guys, who also do cylinder heads but their equipment probably couldn't accept the length of the Packard manifolds. They referred Wade to Aldus Engineering,http://www.aldus.com.au/welcome.htm who Wade had used previously for some waterpump machining when Ivan was sick. They could do it and it'd be ready in the afternoon. Not that helped much as Wade has run out of 120 manifold gaskets and is now waiting for some by mail from Barry Smith. So turned to doing other things on Old Blue, such as cleaning the engine block intake/exhaust manifold surface(again), re-mounting the front bumper, re-mounting the running board side spears, fixing some wiring connectors, re-connecting the left side wiring and re-mounting the left side side-mount and front wheels. At the end of all this Wade received a call from Aldus to say the manifold wouldn't be done until tomorrow. Will suit us as we're going on the Morris Minor Picnic Club runhttp://ted.morrisminorpicnicclub.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=5 described as "September 1st Mooney Mooney Workers Club. Nestled in the beautiful Hawkesbury Valley, the Mooney Mooney Workers Club will be our luncheon destination. Meet at McDonald's Thornleigh at 10.00am for a 10.30am departure." And this also gives Barry's manifold gaskets time to reach Sydney. Looking forward to being on the road in the '41 and a pleasant lunch in good "car-guy" company.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.06 KB)
226_4a9b7643d8259.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.15 KB)
226_4a9b765194ab5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.65 KB)
226_4a9b7661b4b3a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.41 KB)
226_4a9b767b68eb4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.70 KB)
226_4a9b769791fa4.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2009/8/31 2:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Mal, tell me more about the Radiator hose filter,I don't know what kind of cooling fluid to you use on the engines there,so I wonder, what good dose this thing to?!

Posted on: 2009/8/31 7:41
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
hardtop wrote: Mal, tell me more about the Radiator hose filter,I don't know what kind of cooling fluid to you use on the engines there,so I wonder, what good dose this thing to?!

Steve,

With older engines, as the interior of the water jackets in the block and head corrode, flakes and particles of rust can dislodge and travel through the coolant fluid and lodge in the radiator. Over the course of time these particles build up in the radiator blocking it and lowering the efficiency of the cooling system. This in-line radiator hose filter is designed to trap and retain loose particles in the cooling fluid. Because Wade had the radiator cleaned and tested last week and it was discovered to be about 20% blocked he's trying to avoid the same thing happening again.

See this link -http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/sctefba.html

Posted on: 2009/8/31 17:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave,
Yes you did send me a sketch but it did'nt show the cover and Wades does'nt seem to have one either.
T.C

Posted on: 2009/9/1 3:30

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 1st September 2009

First day of Spring in this part of the world, and with it also being the first Tuesday of the month time for a Morris Minor Picnic Club run, so no workshop today for Wade or myself.

After meeting at McDonalds at Thornleigh, northern suburb of Sydney, 9 cars and 13 people continued north to the Mooney Mooney Club on the picturesque Hawkesbury River. Cars in attendance were Pontiac Firebird, Ford Falcon Convertible, Austin Freeway, Austin A40 Devon, Morris Minor, Valiant S/Wagon, 2 x Puegot 403's Sedan and S/Wagon, '41 Packard Coupe. It was a beautiful blue sky day and after a pleasant drive, started as a convoy but traffic lights and drivers unfamiliar with the road soon put paid to that. On arrival at Mooney Mooney liquid refreshments and lunch were enjoyed by all at the club.

The '41 ran well with the new radial tyres providing a much better ride and wander was reduced to a bare minimum with tracking eliminated. I'm now an advocate of radial tyres! See page 19 of Diamondback cataloguehttp://www.dbtires.com/2009_wide_white_wall_catalog/wide_white_wall_catalog_hi.pdf for the 700R15 I'm using. Cost in Australia - AU$395.00 Each for 3" WWW's.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.26 KB)
226_4a9ce5ee09b92.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.58 KB)
226_4a9ce6054e121.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.39 KB)
226_4a9ce615470f0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.08 KB)
226_4a9ce6229c6a8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.07 KB)
226_4a9ce62ea8d63.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/9/1 4:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Dave,
Yes you did send me a sketch but it did'nt show the cover and Wades does'nt seem to have one either.
T.C

Did you want a photo of the cover?

Posted on: 2009/9/1 8:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Yes please Dave

Posted on: 2009/9/1 12:16

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, took a couple of photos today of the heat riser cover on the car, but won't have the film finished and processed until after the PAC Tour next week. So in the interim here's a scan of the cover. Depth is about 13/16 inches (20.64mm); the slot in the side is to hold the end of the bimetallic spring, and of course promote air flow. There are two threaded studs in the mainfold, one on each side of the shaft end, and these with appropriate washers and nuts hold the cover in place. Of course you "wind" the cover to get the required tension on the bimetallic.

EDIT - found an old picture of the cover on my car. Hope it answer's your questions.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.06 KB)
177_4a9d763ef2732.jpg 561X720 px

jpg  (98.11 KB)
177_4a9d7d0763947.jpg 1217X798 px

Posted on: 2009/9/1 14:30

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved