Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 32 »

Re: Mike's 53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mineral Spirits is a good and safe parts cleaner.

Posted on: 2023/9/22 12:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
For grit held on by magnetism, dabbing masking tape on it can clean it up well.

Of course, remember to grease the bearings again after installation since cleaning will wash them out.

Posted on: 2023/9/23 6:17
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I cleaned up the Gen a little bit, and put some insulation on the wire for one brush on the "high side. I polarized the gen by briefly connecting the A and B Terminals.
After starting the car, gen output was still rather low and the lamp would stay on quite a while when revving up the engine.
I grounded the field wire for a test, and voltage went up to about 6.5, and was back to the normal voltage with some flickering of the Gen light at idle, and voltage up to 7-ish at higher Rpms after that. After removing the ground from the field terminal voltage Was still ok.
I will read the manual about cleaning contacts and setting the voltage on this old-school regulator.

Posted on: 2023/9/27 15:17
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would still wonder about the generator condition. When you ground the field terminal all voltage regulation control is gone so the voltage should have shot up to the maximum the generator is capable of delivering -- probably at least 10v or so.

Posted on: 2023/9/27 15:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks Howard,
I drove the car ~20 min to work this morning. Part of the way with the headlights on and voltage was at a nice ~7.3 the whole time. The dummy light also stays off as I am getting 6.5 volts at idle. That was nice, but I am not ready to close the books on my charging system adventure.
I'll try the grounding of the field terminal and see what kind of voltage it goes up to. -if it goes up to 10 like you suggest, or if it stays in the 7-ish range.

I think I can hear my new brushes making a little "wissssh" noise...I just threw in the brushes, and didn't clean up the commutator or seat the brushes....I see I will be getting a phd in gen rebuilding and regulator service in my future

Posted on: 2023/9/28 6:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With those voltages, it sounds like the generator is working so maybe the brushes just needed to seat a bit more when you did the first test. I would keep an eye on things and do the grounding test only if it has a low voltage again. Remember to turn accessories off and have the doors closed when you do ground the field wire. Have meter connected and then only keep it grounded long enough to quickly read the meter. The excess voltage could do other damage if a bulb or some accessory is on at the time.

Posted on: 2023/9/28 8:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I drove 60 miles roundtrip to Stuttgart for a friends birthday tonight, and stopped by the Porsche factory for some pictures.
Car ran well at 60-70mph indicated. On the way home, the headlights started to blink and went out. I guess the circuit breaker or the switch are 70 years old, so I will consider adding relays to the headlight circuit. No lights on the Autobahn at midnight Was not cool. Glad I could at least use my 4 way flashers!
After a few seconds I turned on the parking lights, and the a min later the headlights, and had light again....

Attach file:

jpg  20230929_204236.jpg (183.72 KB)
657_65174f5b39eb2.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  20230929_204302.jpg (172.77 KB)
657_65174f6b965ef.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/9/29 17:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
No real need to add relays. Just clean the switch and install a fresh circuit breaker. They definitely lose capacity over time.

I always resist the temptation to add any layer of complexity that yields a negligible performance improvement at the cost of diminished reliability.

Posted on: 2023/9/29 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I put 32 CP bulbs in my car instead of 21 CP and now, if I turn on the bright lights while sitting still the lights will blink. No problem if I'm moving. Breaker is weak.

Posted on: 2023/9/29 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I couldn’t agree more with Ross! Fix the problem itself rather than throwing parts at it which, in this case, add to the things that could go wrong.

Posted on: 2023/9/30 1:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 32 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved