Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: 1954 Caribbean questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some states seem to prefer to use motor numbers on older cars, go with whatever your state MV agency wants to use would be my advice. New Jersey and what I think is a majority of states use the vehicle number but exceptions abound. For NJ I only needed to make a paper rubbing of the VN plate to get my title.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 6:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I used the Vehicle Number from the data plate to register both my Packards here in KCMO. The local (north of the river) License Office didn't seem to have any problems with that. The bill of sale/title in both cases referenced the Vehicle Number and although both cars were from out of state, neither car was from Kansas. The use of the Vehicle Number as the VIN wasn't a problem.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 7:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My '54 was last registered in Calif in 1986, and based upon the registration slip they used the engine number also. Not sure they if they did this because that was the states preference, or because the actual VN number plate was missing.

I am still hoping at some point someone enterprising well offer reproduction plates for the '54+ cars.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 11:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
My Dad and I are trying to figure this car out together and that is why it sometimes looks like there are two sets of eyes reporting on the car.

I had originally listed the engine number as M600573, because that is what I thought my Dad told me that he had seen on the engine. I could not find the same number. (Although that is the engine number on the title and is why I believed that Dad had originally found the number) The numbers and wording that I can find are as follows:

Top of head: Packard Thunderbolt

Above P in Packard: 455139

Above rd in Packard: 3274

A: C with an L through the upright portion of the C

On the top of the head on the front: 102653

Stamped on the firewall upper left: C68678 (anti-theft # I think)

Driver's side by firewall top of block: Hard to read stamped not very deep. 14)(or M?)30620(or 8)7

Can anyone help me with this engine number problem? Thank you!

Posted on: 2009/6/15 22:26
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The engine number should be stamped here:

Attach file:

jpg  (68.60 KB)
1_4a37324e0a9ff.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2009/6/16 0:49
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The M6***** number would be for the original 359 cubic inch 9 main bearing engine. These engines had an aluminum cylinder head and a larger bore of 3-9/16 inches. Other 1948-54 engines used a 3-1/2 inch bore. The aluminum heads were prone to corrosion and the blocks tended to crack between the valve seats and the cylinder.

The 455139 number on the cylinder head is a casting part number that differs from the listed part number due to final machining but does indicate a cast iron head for 1953 and 1954 Clippers with 327 cubic inch engine.

The 3274 number indicates that the head is for a 327. Not sure what the 4 means. Is the 4 larger than the other 3 numbers?

The c with an L through it is the engineering symbol for centerline and probably relates to the clock dial symbol that should be next to it.

The number on the front is the casting date, Oct 26, 1953.

The number on the firewall left as looking from the front of the car is indeed the theft proof number.

The number on the block in the M3***** series is the engine number and indicates a 327 cubic inch motor from a 1954 Clipper.

Model identification and engine number data can be found on the first few pages of the 1948-54 parts book which is on the this website. Specifications for 1954 are listed in Service Counselor Volume 28 No 4 which is also on this site.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 2:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Thank you both for the information. I found a pdf that BigKev posted about engine numbers and that was informative. I think that it contains some of the information that BDeB had mentioned. I am having trouble getting to the 1948-1954 parts book and to specific volumes of the the Service Counselor that were mentioned, however. Could you let me know to look for them on the site please? Thank you.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The Parts list is located under:

Packard Literature and Manuals
....Parts List
........1948-1954 Packard Parts List

Here are some direct links:

Parts List:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?140

Service Manual:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?4

Posted on: 2009/6/16 10:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If the engine number is hard to read. The rub it with a piece a chalk, and then wipe it off. The chalk will remain in the stamp marks making it easy to read.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 11:33
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Thank you very much. It appears that this site has even more information posted than I thought. However, I still can't seem to navigate to Service Counselor Volume 28 No. 4. I have found some information from Service Counselor Volume 28, but not No. 4. How do I get to this specific information?

Also, if I have a 1954 engine from a Clipper instead of the 359 that the Caribbean is supposed to have, what is my best avenue to find a replacement engine that would be of the same type that the car was manufactured with?

Thank you.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 12:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved