Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 227

packardsix1939, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: disconnect switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think there is a problem with a tray either. I use an Optima battery that also sat on wood. I thought about adapting a universal tray along the lines Keith suggested but all I found locally that fit were plastic. Made something else that could be easily adapted to the bottom bolt retainer. Will post a picture later today.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 8:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Went out and looked at mine. The battery has part# 34-1 on it. It's an $100 AAP battery bought 4 or 5 months ago. The base of the battery is too large transversly to fit the oem Packard tray. So then most likely the chevy tray will be too wide too. Maybe set the chev tray on a board or better yet rubber mat.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 10:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Photos of large battery in my '55 Clipper. Note, I changed to negative ground. Also note the cut-off switch in the first photo.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (40.30 KB)
565_4e930fa717d2b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.01 KB)
565_4e930fb8352de.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/10/10 10:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had a Cole-Hersse cut-off switch fail. It was the one installed on my '47 Custom Clipper. I noted that the starter did not spin as fast as it did before the switch was installed, but thought the cause was something else. I switched the ground (positive) side and used large oversized cables because I was making the battery to ground much longer.

Returning from a Cars and Coffee event, the car stopped running and I had no electrics, none. I got the car on a flat bed tow truck and hauled home. Some checking the next day revealed the bad switch. I removed the switch and the problem was solved. The starter spun much faster (relatively speaking) too.

I have kept the switches on my '55 and '37, but the '47 is sans switch. I remove the ground cable when parking the car for prolonged periods. I opened the switch and looked for burned or bad connections, but nothing was evident. Curious.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/10 10:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
JW -

Now there's an aspect that I forgot to mention, in consideration of any resistance in a cut-off switch.

While charging may not be affected, the heavy-gauge cable goes directly to the starter solenoid for a good reason.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 11:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a preliminary plan for battery and cutoff switch. Final will depend on how things work with AC install.

Per Keiths question on GM trays, I made a tray sized for the Optima which sits on bottom of factory tray and clamps in position thru the holes. Raises over the lip and extends out for wider battery. Hold down bolts use the original place on one side and J bolt fits under the tray on the other. Would be easy to extend or add a retainer for GM bottom tabs. My battery tender fits in the remaining space. Had originally planned to put the cutoff there as well with a bracket that could remove and rotate 90 degrees. That way it could mount to radiator support as JW's does should someone want to put a regular battery back in. The cover is from Tar Topper to hide the red Optima.

After second thoughts, decided to use Randy's suggestion and mount switch for the inside operation. Positioning using the factory hole mentioned earlier is as shown on engine and interior side. I may rotate switch 90 degrees because of cables though. The location on inside will need to extend the knob. Because of the kickpanel, will probably place it in a bracket at rear of dash by emerg brake bracket. Will be in high and far enough in to not be too visible but something to determine after the carpet is installed.

Haven't decided on battery cable location yet. Right now it is going above the remote reservoir for my brake mod. The final again depends on how the AC routes.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.32 KB)
209_4e932a5f00232.jpg 640X410 px

jpg  (27.44 KB)
209_4e932a6b6e547.jpg 640X463 px

jpg  (35.56 KB)
209_4e932a9a09deb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.31 KB)
209_4e932aa513d0c.jpg 640X523 px

jpg  (37.88 KB)
209_4e932aae7ef6b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.03 KB)
209_4e932ab6e14e5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.48 KB)
209_4e932abfcb22e.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2011/10/10 12:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I bet a battery tray and retainer out of a '54 would fit a group 34/78 12v optima battery to a tee.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 12:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Do they make a "high-amperage" push on/off switch that is similar to a floor mounted high-beam switch? If so that would be perfect as a cut-off switch, well just as long as you don't hit that one by mistake when you are trying to kick on the high beams. :)

Posted on: 2011/10/10 12:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are a few push switches but I didn't find any heavy push on - push off types. Most are the emergency push to kill application and looks like limited amps -- sort of like a heavy duty ign switch could carry.

There are several solenoid type switches good for 125 amps or so with various activation methods. Most just draw current when actually switching so that's also an option for 12v cars. I almost chose one of those.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 13:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Howard, do you like the oldfashioned look of Hella products?

Look what I found in their German catalog (the above embedded link goes to their English speaking catalog and dealers located in your country).

Click to see original Image in a new window
12V, 100A (continuous power), removable key

12V, available up to 250A (continuous power), removable key (so-called NATO-bone)

Just to show you a complete different approach and design take a look at --> this.
I attached two related pics. Including bypass for small consumers (like clock etc.) the system goes for unbelievable $11.97 over the counter.

sources
pic 1 & 2: www.hella.de
pic 3 & 4: www.limora.com

Posted on: 2011/10/10 15:16
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved