Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 226

Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 13 »

Re: Synchros?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, you may well be correct about the Six and 120, and perhaps the Super 8. The 1939 Data Book says the column shift was standard equipment on the Six and 120, implying it was optional on the Super Eight and Twelve. Other sources say it was an option on all models, so I can't say with certainty which is correct but I've seen and driven a number of 39 Twelves with cane shift and can't say I've ever seen a Junior with cane shift.

Turnquist says column shift was a $240 option though it's unclear if he's speaking of just the Twelve but the comment immediately follows his discussion of the that model. Kimes says it was standard but that comes just after a discussion of the 120 model.

Wish I had a factory list of standard and optional equipment.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Back to nuts and bolts:

Is there a vacuum seal at the base of the pedal assembly next to the floorboard on the cursed Treadle-Vac? The rod that goes through the floorboard to the MC seems to have a massive vacuum leak around it.

It hisses and gurgles and complains and you can hear it while you drive. The brakes do work, but a whole lot of pedal pressure is needed because all the vacuum assist is evidently bleeding away at this spot.

I'm not looking for advice on why the whole braking system should be replaced-- just that one part. Can it be installed without ripping out the MC (again)?

This is probably talked about somewhere, but as I don't have a shop manual yet (YET) and the mechanic working on the car is very good at figuring almost everything out, I'd like to have this info for him before I take the car in again next week to sort out some things that haven't been sorted out yet.

The car "runs and drives" pretty darn well considering all the mechanical fits and starts it has been subjected to in the past.

The NAPA 7# long neck radiator cap I bought seems to perform flawlessly, BTW.

That tidbit might go a long way toward solving many "cooling system problems," especially if the coolant is getting spit out of the overflow continuously like mine was with the wrong (short neck) cap installed.

The the NAPA PN is, once again, #7031411

Thanks again everybody for the superb info on the type of cap needed! And all the other interesting stuff, too.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 0:49
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

55PackardGuy wrote:
Back to nuts and bolts:

Is there a vacuum seal at the base of the pedal assembly next to the floorboard on the cursed Treadle-Vac? The rod that goes through the floorboard to the MC seems to have a massive vacuum leak around it.

It hisses and gurgles and complains and you can hear it while you drive. The brakes do work, but a whole lot of pedal pressure is needed because all the vacuum assist is evidently bleeding away at this spot.

I'm not looking for advice on why the whole braking system should be replaced-- just that one part. Can it be installed without ripping out the MC (again)?

This is probably talked about somewhere, but as I don't have a shop manual yet (YET) and the mechanic working on the car is very good at figuring almost everything out, I'd like to have this info for him before I take the car in again next week to sort out some things that haven't been sorted out yet.

The car "runs and drives" pretty darn well considering all the mechanical fits and starts it has been subjected to in the past.

There is no seal for the rod where it goes thru the floorboard and into the vacuum section of the M/C assembly, just a large felt washer.
There is a heavy rubber hose inside the vacuum booster that supplies manifold vacuum from the connection on the outside to the vacuum piston inside. If that hose is disconnected or damaged there will be a massive vacuum leak and loss of pedal boost.
Unfortunately the whole booster and master cylinder assembly would have to be removed to check this.

See Plate No.43 in the 1948-54 parts book for a cross-section view and Plate No. 13A in the 1955-56 parts book for an exploded view.
The Easamatic Power Brake section of the 1951-54 service manual has step by step instructions and photos as well. All available on this site.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 1:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To just check the hose the hydraulic section and lines can stay connected -- just be careful not to pull or twist too violently when removing the top plate. Once the pedal connection, floor plate screws to body and 4 bolts connecting the BTV to the plate are removed, the floor plate can be lifted off and set aside. The top cover to BTV is now held on by 4 bent over tabs near a couple of bolt locations -- If same as later units, there's a couple on top left bolt and 2 on the lower right side bolt. A small pair of channel locks will be able to bend those back quite easily. Lift off the cover and the hose and all connections are revealed.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.46 KB)
209_506eed98e123f.jpg 640X583 px

Posted on: 2012/10/5 9:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Successful Packard Hunt
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks,

Now I have the part #s, a reference to the Manual, instructions and a picture. How could this go wrong?!

Posted on: 2012/10/5 21:35
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

BDeB wrote:
There is no seal for the rod where it goes thru the floorboard and into the vacuum section of the M/C assembly, just a large felt washer.
There is a heavy rubber hose inside the vacuum booster that supplies manifold vacuum from the connection on the outside to the vacuum piston inside. If that hose is disconnected or damaged there will be a massive vacuum leak and loss of pedal boost.
Unfortunately the whole booster and master cylinder assembly would have to be removed to check this.

See Plate No.43 in the 1948-54 parts book for a cross-section view and Plate No. 13A in the 1955-56 parts book for an exploded view.
The Easamatic Power Brake section of the 1951-54 service manual has step by step instructions and photos as well. All available on this site.

The vacuum leak could easily be described as "massive." I think I'll have to adjust the carb settings after it's fixed.

I'm not quite finding the '51-'54 Service Manual. Is there a link? Sorry for my newness to looking for this kind of stuff here. Never "Owned One" until now.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 21:54
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The easiest way to find literature is to use the model year search link at the bottom right on the home page.
Here is the link to the 1951-54 Service Maunual.

1951-54 Service Manual

Posted on: 2012/10/5 22:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
You can also find an abridged list of available literature - citing only the most relevant documents for each model - under the 'Recommended Manuals and Literature' heading in the Model Info pages. Each title is hot-linked to the article in the Literature and Manuals archive, where you can download the document, in PDF format.

In this case, look to the 5492 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan page.

Posted on: 2012/10/6 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Once again, thanks. I have the Service Manual on order. If it's as nice as the one I got for a '47 Dodge a few years ago from the same company, I'll post a link for those who want a nice repro. I couldn't tell the Dodge one was a reproduction. Correct cover and even the paper seemed to be correct. All images and type were clear on that one, too. 60 bucks plus shipping of $6. I think that's reasonable. Nothinig like being able to plunk the manual on the fender while you're working on a car.

Posted on: 2012/10/6 11:37
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: Successful Packard Hunt
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
This is something that might lead to a hunt in the service manual, but will be easy for someone to answer, I bet:

The new brake linings have created a little problem. The pedal doesn't go down as far, and the brake lights don't come on. Is there a quick 'n' easy adustment? Anything to look for to avoid messing it up more, or breaking it?

This would be my first real "fix" on the car, other than lubing what sticks and sticking what's unstuck. Oh, and adjusting the mirror.

Note for anyone who wonders about a couple of details I think I figured out:

The locking and keys on these cars are very clever. The keys are apparently designed to make valet parking easier for the owner's peace of mind:

One key is for the glove box and trunk only.
The other is for ignition and doors.
That way, the owner can hand the valet just the ignition key. The valet can lock the doors, but can't get his hands into the glove box or the trunk! Valuables safe! I don't know if this is unique to Packard, but what a neat idea.

The previous owner also gave me a tip for locking up a 4-doore without using the key. Unlock the back door, shut the front and push the button down from the back. Then re-lock the back door by pushing the button down and closing the door. The button won't pop up like the front does. Of course, this would be an easy way to lock your keys in the car. But since we have to THINK a little when we get out of these cars-- without all those chimes telling us what we forgot to do-- then we should be used to using our brains a bit more when we drive them. I like that.

Also, the mechanic asked me if this car was set up for a left-handed driver, because of the positioning of the ash tray. I thought for a second and think I have the right answer:

Both ashtrays are on the edge of the dash next to the window vents (sucks out the smoke better!). Plus, especially with a manual shift car, the driver better have that cigarette or cigar in his left hand! More ingenious stuff. And the lighter on this car still works!

BTW, remember when they called them "cigar lighters?"

Posted on: 2012/10/6 12:39
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 13 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved