Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 202

Don B, kevinpackard, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

Re: Treadlrvac???????
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Heir is German for "Mr." Or is it Herr????

Posted on: 2009/5/10 10:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Herr, German, Mr.
Hair, English, What I have very little of any more.
Hare, English, Rabbit.
Heir, English, Somebody that gets your goodies when you die.

Posted on: 2009/5/10 11:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I have been watching this thread with interest since a brake upgrade for my Constellation is in my plans. Having worked in an IT Support capacity prior to my retirement, I fully understand Erics, and others, discontent with having to continually address the same questions over and over (although here we usually don't have to deal with ID "Ten T" and "PIBCAK" errors).
In defense of the persons asking these questions, as it was also stated, most are new to the Packard world, as well as this forum. There is a plethora of information here for those who want to restore, repair, and/or improve on their vehicles, and it is all to easy to achieve "information overload", and to get lost while researching a solution.
Kev, would it be possible to create a specific "FAQ" forum, and have it located at the top of the Main Menu. Needless to say, the FAQ would function the same as those on newsgroups, but could include recommendations and basic instructions on how to use the Search feature of this board to see if your question has already been answered. Granted, not everyone will use it, but if it reduces redundancy by 25% to 50%, I'm sure everyone would be happy.
Just my .02 worth,
John

Posted on: 2009/5/10 11:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
That's not a bad idea, but its implementation won't work unless someone or two monitor it or only a couple of folks are allowed to post to it. It would quickly get bogged down with questions and bad answers and just plain yakking. If Kev does agree I nominate Owen_Dyneto and HH56 to be the interlocutors.
(Sometimes if you give a person a nice title, it will overcome their initial forebodings)

Posted on: 2009/5/10 11:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is an interlocutor like an interloper?

Posted on: 2009/5/10 13:57
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Works for me. I can create a a FAQ (Read Me First) Forum, where only selected moderator are allowed to post, but all are allowed to read. The moderators can add threads about the most common asked questions with links to the various previous discussion threads on the manner.

Does this sound like it would work for everyone?

Posted on: 2009/5/10 20:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Works for me, I've got a good idea to start us off.

Posted on: 2009/5/10 21:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Kevin,
Regarding your question of a FAQ (read only) thread --
I think that is a great idea (and see you already have done it)

Especially 2009, as more and more new Packard lovers have found PInfo, I have noticed 2 or 3 or more rounds of the same basic questions coming up. Such as:
What Oil to use?
What to I do to a engine that has not been run for years?
Where is this number or ID on a Packard?

I have appreciated the patience and time of the Ambassadors and other members in answering these FAQ. (Sometimes I have not had the time to offer a response.

Also imbedding links to other discussion is a good format.
This FAQ forum could become a portal to older forum threads.
I have done FORUM SEARCHES on topics and found great stuff from the last 3 years.

Curious, what does a graph of # of monthly posts for 2007, 2008, 2009 look like? I suspect it as exponential, cause my searches seem to be that way.

I am still learning on this website after my 18 months on board

Thanks everybody, for all you do to not only compile Packard Information, but to educate Packard enthusiasts as well.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/5/10 21:12
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Gee I'm glad somebody thought of this.

Posted on: 2009/5/10 21:52
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Well-Just to bring this thread full circle, and since I'm the one who started it, I have done some research! The hydrovac system as used on 55 thru 57 T Birds would be an easy retro fit. With only a master cylinder sans booster mounted under the steering column you would have lots of room to fabricate a belcrank setup if extra leverage is needed. The T Birds did have a suspended pedal so I'm sure some leverage was gained from it. According to Raybestos the front wheel cylinders are the same between Bird and my Patrician. The rears listed for the Packard are the same as used on Ford pickups thru the 70s. This tells me that the hydrovac fluid output is matched to the cylinders. THE BIG PROBLEM! Road tests of the day on the T Bird faulted the brakes for being "marginal". Is this a function of the hydraulics or the foundation brakes? Time and experimentation will tell!
As far as using the search function-I should have done so but if it's anything like the other forums I frequent, entering the word "tredalvac" would bring up every entry ever made with that word. Takes more time to sift through that ask the question again.
MikeG

Posted on: 2009/5/11 15:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved