Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 194

Tobs, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 11 »

Re: Snapey's 1935 Racing Biposto
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...There are a few items on the shopping list including a 17x4" wheel or two to suit, front shock absorbers, carbs, headlights and a steering wheel would be nice...

Headlights? Matt, that sort of thing is strictly for the birds as long as we talk about weight reduction. But don't forget the race glasses!

[picture sources:http://www.teamdan.com/people/p.html & Mal]

Attach file:

jpg  (11.31 KB)
757_4e11fb342cf07.jpg 267X345 px

Posted on: 2011/7/4 11:39
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
In the chance you proceed with stock wheels, I have 2 wheels available, $150 ea.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Gusha - where do you get the time for these things - that is brilliant! Will be sending copies to my family for sure! You are right of course - I will need the flying helmut and googles but might save them up for club trips etc - dress in period costume perhaps?

Flackmaster - I assume by stock you mean the steel 'disc' style wheels? I would really like to stick to the wire wheels and I already have four of those so just need one more for the spare (which will be side mounted). There was one on eBay in the US recently but the freight to this side of the Pacific is a bit of a killer for such things. If you could keep an eye out for one for me it would be much appreciated.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 16:28
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Wire wheels. Next time I hear of an opportunity to smuggle a wheel down under, I will let you know.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 16:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
That's perfect Flackmaster - thank you very much. I assume they are the 17x4" 6 stud on 6"PCD Buffalo wheels? Do you have any photos to confirm? If they are the ones could you please put my name on at least one of them (depending on freight cost I may grab the second one also). I am in no rush at the moment but I do know someone that has regular containers coming from Wilmington CA so that could also be an option.

Posted on: 2011/7/5 2:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Snapey wrote:.....Also, I pulled the rear spring packs apart to see what could be made of them. I will certainly need the two new main leaves as previously mentioned, but by using one of the old main leaves to make a new second leaf and then removing, switching and modifying the rest of the pack I might be able to get away with minimal cost. I still have to clean them all up properly though (more work for the little grinder) so we will see what can be done. I will also look at using new packs if I can find something locally that will fit.......

Understand Wade has spoken to you about the availability of the old rear springs out of Mat's '34 and you'll be coming over to the workshop to pick them up at a future date.

Posted on: 2011/7/6 20:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
yes indeed, correct for 33-36 Std & Super 8. Please advise terms of portage for container going down under, I've got some other things I need to send...small stuff...engines, transmission, you know, I'd put them in my carry-on, but....

Posted on: 2011/7/6 21:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Sorry to say Flackmaster, but I may have just found some wheels locally. A bit more expensive than yours but minimal transport costs and the gentleman also has several of the other items I am looking for.

If you do wish to send stuff down this way still (especially larger stuff like engines) I have a good contact. If you PM me I will put you in touch with him.

Sorry for the run around and thanks once again.

Posted on: 2011/7/6 23:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Not much time to spend in the shed this weekend as the house and yard were well overdue for some maintenance. Luckily you can't trim trees easily after dark so I did get some work done on the Biposto. I also made some important decisions that will affect the driving position and hence the whole look of the car.

The big job this weekend was to chop about 15-16 inches off the front of both chassis rails. I will recycle the rear forged steel spring hanging points by now using them on the front. I have also removed the main front cross member. My intention is to reuse the original front cross tube that went across just behind the front end of the chassis in a similar location and then replace the main front cross member with a new fabricated unit that will also incorporate the front engine mount. This should cut down on weight and also give me more room to locate the blower and manifolding etc.

One night early last week I was in the shed looking at the car and trying to figure out how I might get the pedals and brake cross shaft to function as they should and how this might affect the seating position. I wanted the seating position to be not far in front of the rear wheels. Sitting in the driver's seat I want to be able to touch the rear wheel. This was looking like a real problem, until I thought to move the brake cross shaft. If I move this rearward about 18" (which puts it just behind the centre of the crucifix) I can then move the pedal assembly about the same amount which will put the seats much closer to where I want them. I should be able to do this and I only have to drill 6 new holes. The pedal assembly and its mounting will have to be reworked somewhat but that shouldn't be too bad - especially since the intension is to change the car to right hand drive anyway.

This also has the advantage of allowing me to move the engine back and down a little more, although I will have to be careful that the prop shaft won't interfere with the new location of the brake cross shaft.

I am really happy with the way the project is coming together so far. A number of my 'ideas' about the look and design of the car are actually falling into place much easier than I had expected. At the moment solutions seem to be unexpededly solving other problems at the same time. This will soon change though, when I start wooking on some of the more detailed aspects of the car. I am not exactly avoiding these at the moment, but I would love to keep the current success rate rolling along for a little while longer before I go opening up any cans with 'Worms' written on the side...

Anyway, that's about it for now. We should be home next weekend, so will get to spend a little more time on it then.

Attach file:

jpg  (87.61 KB)
2094_4e1ad994743d9.jpg 1200X800 px

jpg  (70.73 KB)
2094_4e1ad99f0d875.jpg 1200X800 px

jpg  (89.05 KB)
2094_4e1ad9aab0d82.jpg 1200X800 px

jpg  (91.70 KB)
2094_4e1ad9b8da076.jpg 800X1200 px

jpg  (100.88 KB)
2094_4e1ad9c65ae2d.jpg 800X1200 px

jpg  (84.04 KB)
2094_4e1ad9d288da4.jpg 1200X800 px

Posted on: 2011/7/11 6:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Good looking work, Snapey, and to me it's incredibly fast progress. I'd still be sitting there looking at it and thinking, like I do some winter nights with my old runabout. But shed time is shed time, and sometimes thinking is good. You didn't even mention dropping the engine in there, which looks super cool on the pic of the front, 8 big holes and 16 little ones all in two nice rows.

Posted on: 2011/7/11 23:00
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved