Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: OVERHEATING
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I am reading 80 ohms on the sender, wire disconnected,cold.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 11:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That sounds like a good start. At 180 degrees on your thermometer, if sender follows to the lower 25-35 value it should put the needle somewhere around mid to two thirds scale. If the gauge goes to hot then that would seem to point to the gauge or instrument regulator as the problem. If the gas gauge is reading OK, then that would eliminate the regulator and point to the temp gauge.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 12:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also the temp sender wire could be shorted along it's path.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 19:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The wire is a very good point and with so many things done without solving things since the problem started, good to be brought up again. Hopefully checked long before now since it was one of the earlier suggestions.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 19:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Hot reading at 34 ohms, ran engine for 30 minutes with no boil over and temp not over 180+. I notice that my gas gauge is at 1/2 tank which is not correct because it leaks with about 5 gallons of gas in it and has not been used since it was taken out of storage. The CLipper has a small 1 gallon tank on the front to move it around and run it for testing. So could be the regulator.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I checked for the ECH Ir4 regulator listed in the archives but show no listing for it at NAPA. Is there a current number that someone has discovered?

Posted on: 2012/7/27 21:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That sounds promising. Regulator is kind of hard to check with a typical meter because it's not a constant voltage out. It's a nominal 5 volt output but is derived by the cycling or opening and closing of a contact. It does need to be grounded though so check it is securely mounted to back of cluster.

Cycle speed is dependent on load but gives 6.3v for a moment and then off for a moment and back on, then off. You can try your meter but no guarantees. If you have what appears to be a very constant 6.3v, then it's suspect. This is what the output looks like on a 12v system. 6v peaks would be half as high and probably a much different rate.

At least it appears the sender is in the correct range for our cars.

Don't have a cross for the IR4 but the IR1 might be a possibility since it is for same Fords senders are listed for -- although listings are all 12v cars. Since Packard used the same 458072 regulator at a different voltage from 54-6 on Packards, it may work. Terminals are different though. I looked at the price Napa shows. From what I saw, even with your discount it might be less expensive to go to one of our vendors if it proves to be needed.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.90 KB)
209_5013495e2722b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/7/27 21:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I will order a 6/12 regulator later this week. AS OF JULY 28,2012 MY CLIPPER IS DRIVEABLE!!!! I only took it out of the garage and ran it up and down the alley to turn it around in the garage. Everything worked well. As I adjust some items and feel more secure it will be touring our neighborhood next week. Gas tank and line is next for true driving!
Tried to add the picture to registry, but it didn't seem to work?

Attach file:

jpg  (92.02 KB)
3889_501452ebdf0d2.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2012/7/28 15:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
WILLIS wrote:...AS OF JULY 28,2012 MY CLIPPER IS DRIVEABLE!!!!...Tried to add the picture to registry, but it didn't seem to work?
WILLIS,

Congratulations! Added the picture above to your Registry entry.

Posted on: 2012/7/28 16:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, I feel like a kid getting my first car going and driving it around the block. It is rewarding to work your butt off for a year and then drive the car out of the garage.

Posted on: 2012/7/28 16:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved